Sequels?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Celtic
Gold Classic Collection

Sequels?

Post by Celtic »

My family are going to help me complete my Disney DVD collection for my birthday (this month) and Christmas. I'm currently doing up an 'I don't have yet' list. I've not seen any of the sequels to the popular films like Cinderella 2, Atlantis 2, Lion King 2, 101 Dalmations 2, Mulan 2, Tarzan 2, Hunchback 2....you get the picture. Can anyone tell me if any of them are worth adding to my collection?

Thanks

:thumb:
IggieKuzco
Special Edition

Post by IggieKuzco »

Hey Celtic! sup? :D

Ok... here goes:

Cinderella 2: Dont rent it if your life depended on it.
Atlantis 2: I thought that was just a bunch of TV episodes pasted together! if im right.... dont even think about it... and if im wrong... i haven't seen it.
Lion King 2: Cool. obviously not half as good as the first... but worthwhile.
101 Dalmations 2: *hurl*
Mulan 2: if you've seen it on the shelves.... go for it! cause as far as i know it hasn't been released yet!
Tarzan 2: same as mulan. unless you Tarzan and Jane which (like atlantis) is a bunch of TV show episodes of the crappy TV show stuck together and called a movies. (another few like these that leap to mind include "Stich: The Movie", and "Hercules: Zero To Hero"
Hunchback 2: Never saw it.... but if i do i'll let you know.

that's it! enjoy! :thumb:
You wrote:My family are going to help me complete my Disney DVD collection for my birthday (this month) and Christmas. I'm currently doing up an 'I don't have yet' list. I've not seen any of the sequels to the popular films like Cinderella 2, Atlantis 2, Lion King 2, 101 Dalmations 2, Mulan 2, Tarzan 2, Hunchback 2....you get the picture. Can anyone tell me if any of them are worth adding to my collection?
does this mean you own every other disney movie except for the ones you listed above?? :jawdrop: :o
55 days 'till Jack is back

They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head. - Blackadder the Third
Celtic
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Celtic »

Hey Iggie

So your general opinion is 'don't waste your money' then! Doh! Got my lists confused with Tarzan and Mulan - looking at the 'to be released' schedule on that one!

Nope, I haven't got every other disney movie. There are 26 on my 'please buy me for Xmas' list. I'm chipping away at them slowly. I have all the Disney Treasures so far, plus I've ordered the new releases due out in Dec. And I've all the OOP titles.....except Little Mermaid. She's proving to be slighly elusive!!! Or too expensive, whichever way you look at it!!

I haven't even opened some of my dvd's coz I don't want to ruin them. :lol:
Kim Olav Svines
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kim Olav Svines »

I like most of the sequels, but some people don't. My advice is don't listen to what other people will tell you, and just go for the ones you think you'll enjoy.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: Sequels?

Post by PatrickvD »

Celtic wrote:My family are going to help me complete my Disney DVD collection for my birthday (this month) and Christmas. I'm currently doing up an 'I don't have yet' list. I've not seen any of the sequels to the popular films like Cinderella 2, Atlantis 2, Lion King 2, 101 Dalmations 2, Mulan 2, Tarzan 2, Hunchback 2....you get the picture. Can anyone tell me if any of them are worth adding to my collection?

Thanks

:thumb:
Dont watch Hunchback II, it's SO horrible. I accidently got a copy of it. i ordered the original on amazon and got the sequel instead. Luckily they sent me the right one later but i could keep the sequel. So i watched it and i was absolutely discusted. So my advice is to simply pass on that one
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

I own a whole bunch of them (about 10 all up I think), but I'm strange to start with.

I like them generally, but I guess it comes down to subjective taste. Some of them are lots of fun and well made, others are truly shocking (Cough...Belle's Magical World...cough).

Personally, my faves are Lady & the Tramp 2, Atlantis: Milo's Return (not a sequel per se, but more of a montage of shorts from an abandoned T series, still good) and Stitch! The Movie, which after a false start slides nicely into the right frame of humour.

I would certainly recommend at least renting first, but if you are looking to complete your collection, try and get all the animated classics first before you delve into sequel-land.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
karlsen
Special Edition

Post by karlsen »

Loomis are correct here. Do not think about any of the sequals before you have gotten all the real movies. :)
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

...and to add on to what everyone else said... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Celtic, rent first!!!! I can not stress this enough, you do not want to get strapped down, with a bunch of movies you may or may not like. I recommend renting them, otherwise the curiosity may get at you, until you brake and buy something that you may regret. Some are absolutely aweful to sit through, I literally wanted to guage out my eyes, and let my horrific screams drown out the pain of watching that movie, but I now know that it was horrible and will never see it again, Little Mermaid 2 was something I really wanted to see, saw it, was dissapionted with it, and will never see it again, but the good thing is, that I got to see these no matter how awaeful they may have been, I found closure, and I don't not have to look at them taking up room on my shelf. Even if you don't buy them, and your family does, they are still buying you that in place of something better, so please, rent them, I don't want to see you stuck with something you will not like.

I for one, am not even buying all of the classics. There are just some I do not like, and ones that I just wouldn't even want to introduce my kids too. So even though I am a big collector, I figure, only collect what you like, or can appreciate. Snowwhite for example, is not a fave of mine, but something I can appreciate, and when I have kids of my own, I will show it to them... I will never show them the sequels though, regardless of whether they are ok or not, cause walty diddn't want sequels, to most of his films, and the sequels are not needed...

Anyway that is my take on it. :)

Buy the classics, rent the sequels...

Oh there is one sequel that I do want, and that's the Jungle Book 2 :twisted: I'm waiting for the SE that's going to be released, to coincide with the PE. :wink:
Defy Gravity
Lady
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lady »

Well, the ones that got good reviews are Lion King 2, Lady and the Tramp 2 and Aladdin and the King of Thieves (Aladdin 3). Also, if you are a big fan of the originals, you might want to get the Little Mermaid 2 and the Beauty and the Beast 2 (the one about the enchanted Christmas).
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

It all depends on whether or not you're a purist, and how much you love the original film. If you love it, then see the sequel. But if you love it and you're a purist, DON'T!
Defy Gravity...
Tangela
In The Vaults

Post by Tangela »

The only sequels worth watching are The rescuers Down Under and Beauty and the Beast, the enchanted Christmas.

:) :) :)
Tell Chris Johnson that he's Walt Disney and he'll believe it...
-Tangela
I shall be happy if it kills me! Gee Maneese Ow!
-Disneyguru
karlsen
Special Edition

Post by karlsen »

I am worried by all the sequals that Disney now are making. I can not imagine that Walt himself would have liked this.

To me it shows a lack of good new ideas.
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

In my personal opinion, the best sequels are Lady and the Tramp 2, Return to Neverland, all the Pooh sequels, Rescuers Down Under, and Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas.
Toy Story 2 was really good, but I'm not that big of a fan of the first, so I really didn't like it.
But it all depends on which movies you like.
Defy Gravity...
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

karlsen wrote:I am worried by all the sequals that Disney now are making. I can not imagine that Walt himself would have liked this.

To me it shows a lack of good new ideas.
You said it Karl! :)
Defy Gravity
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

The only sequels I would recommend are:

The Rescuers Down Under
Aladdin and the King of Thieves

I also enjoy Lion King 2 and Return of Jafar, but it more has to do with my loving them when I was a kid than them actually being good movies.
Uncle Remus
Anniversary Edition

Post by Uncle Remus »

the best sequels in my opinion are:
rescuers down under
aladdin sequels
pooh sequels
return to neverland(thank god the main title isnt Peter Pan 2)
catNC
Special Edition

Post by catNC »

obviously everyone has their own take of which sequels are the best. i would just like to reiterate Prince Phillip's statement to just rent the movies first before deciding to buy them if you are unsure. as for me, i've never seen a direct-to-video sequel, so i can't give my opinion.