Anastasia (1997)

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

I had a crush on Cinderella wearing the pink dress before it was trashed. I liked Anastasia in the dream waltz dress and the coronation dress before it got wrecked. Why do I always like the characters in dresses that get wrecked?
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Anastasia - rotten ending makes me sick

Post by bradhig »

Anyone seen the 1997 animated feature Anastasia by Fox? I usually stop the DVD when she's looking through the curtain why couldn't they end it at the party with her wearing that dress and crown while dancing with Dimitri? Maybe its cause I think outside the box and tend to defiy logic.

I feel a bunch of people at IMDB messge board have ignored me cause I don't get many reponses to my posts anymore.
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

How good does that dvd transer look anyway? Sorry I can' help you, I haven't seen that movie in years.
RachelSmachel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RachelSmachel »

I like Anatasia, not as much as I did as a child although. I haven't seen it in a little while. But I do know that I was perfectly happy with the ending, both when I was little and when I watched it a year or so ago.

What makes you hate it so much?
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

cause she lost the crown and they are running away like cowards.
numba1lostboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by numba1lostboy »

bradhig wrote:cause she lost the crown and they are running away like cowards.
They didn't run away. They defeated Rasputin and then decided that their destinies were leading them somewhere else besides to royalty. The entire theme of the movie was finding where you really belong. I, for one, loved the ending.

A little side-note: This is, like, the third thread for discussing this film.
:pan: Love It.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I agree with the numba1lostboy. I liked the ending. Plus it gives an explanation why Anastasia was never found to reclaim the thrown.
Jasmine1022
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jasmine1022 »

i loved this movie. i also liked the ending because everyone thought that she was going to become royalty. yet another PREDICTABLE movie!

but it wasnt. it was a very, very good movie. I even named one of my hampsters Rasputin :P

i also liked the music. 'Once Upon a December' is one of my favorite, favorite songs from a movie.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Yes, the soundtrack is one of my favorites. My favorite songs are "Once Upon a December", "Journey to the Past", and "At the Beginning". And the animation is simply impeccable. For me, it's Don Bluth's crowning achievement.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Anya had lived a life where she didn't know who she was or who her family was, and she grew up poor. Maybe if she had grown up in that lavish life, she would have enjoyed it more. But when she found out Dimitri shunned the reward and took off, she saw that the crown, the diamons, the gold, and all the luxuries that come with royalty meant nothing. She knew who she was and who her family were, that was her goal. It was never her goal to live lavishly. For her, the crown didn't fit. Primp and proper is not what she wanted. She was an adventerer. She didn't "run away" nor was she a "coward". It just wasn't the life she wanted. She wanted to know her grandmother, she left her a note, which tells me she likely would stay in contact with her. If she ran away and didn't leave that note, yeah, that would have been a bit cowardly. If she didn't go to Dimitri, she would have been running away, from herself and true love.
It started out a Cinderalla story, but if Prince Charming was simply, Peasent Charming, wouldn't you still think Cinderalla would have loved him too?
Jasmine1022
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jasmine1022 »

Siren wrote:It started out a Cinderalla story, but if Prince Charming was simply, Peasent Charming, wouldn't you still think Cinderalla would have loved him too?
yes. of course she would have.

then again.... she probably wouldnt have met him :lol:
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

She should have gone back to being royalty somebody went to a lot of trouble setting up that party and inviting people for what? Maybe I'm too used to Disney stuff and it endings but it made them look like cowards. She should have reclaimed the throne. Maybe she wacked her head too hard on the railroad tracks and that caused the problem.
Jasmine1022
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jasmine1022 »

i dont know... if i suddenly found out i was a princess i think i dont think i would jump up and claim my throne. i'd be scared, too! you cant blame her. all she wanted to do was to meet her grandmother. being a princess just wasnt for her. i admire her for it.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I actually thought it would be a cheapshot for Dimitri to join royalty. That wasn't his game either. Sure, he wanted to be rich, but I don't think he wanted THAT kinda rich. And after he met Anastasia, suddenly, bring rich, wasn't about money.

And staying because someone set up the big party wasn't a good reason either. She didn't want the spotlight. It wasn't her life. Maybe it was once, but no more. She probably got lucky. So much royalty is stuck up and higher-than-art-thou. Her experiences outside the palace probably made her a stronger, more realistic person. Her grandmother was certainly pleased with her decision. She chose love over royalty. If a good sequel was made, we'd probably have seen her and Dimitri travel across Europe on adventers.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Siren wrote:If a good sequel was made, we'd probably have seen her and Dimitri travel across Europe on adventures.
No, no more sequels. Don't even joke about it. I've suffered enough with the Disney ones.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I see no problem with sequels, when they are as good or better then the original. Such is a rare event. But it does happen with the right writers.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

You're right, but how often does that happen? Especially with Disney who makes cheap and unnecessary sequels for a quick buck.
Caballero Girl
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Caballero Girl »

I actually really liked the ending to Anastasia. It was subtle, gentle and touching, as opposed to being big, lavish and spectacular, which worked perfectly well in regard to the rest of the story. I haven't seen the movie since it first came out, but I remember walking away feeling fully satisfied with the conclusion.

To my knowledge, Anastasia never received a proper sequel, but there was a spin-off film of sorts...Bartok the Magnificent? I've never seen it, but I remember seeing the video on the shelves at Blockbuster a while back.
Jasmine1022
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jasmine1022 »

i saw that, too, and i was really, really annoyed by it.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Used to write a lot of fanfic about Anastasia in which she became an Empress and married Dimitri but I kept getting attacked but girls obessed with Dimitri who even sent me an email pretending to be Dimitri trying to change my ways yet it was an AOL address. There are lots of fanfic ideas in my head but I am too afraid to write anymore cause they start attacking me again.