Anastasia (1997)

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

I've loved Anastasia for years, although I am well aware of its many faults. I agree with Kram that Rasputin was a rather unnecessary villain and have even skipped through his scenes during various viewings of the film. I find Bartok a little annoying too, but I like Anastasia as a heroine, and Dimitri is pretty much the nicest-looking animated male around.

Two things that annoy me most in the movie:

1). The not-so-good transition between regular to computer animation

and

2). The fact that everyone has a Russian accent besides Anastasia and Dimitri (and Sophie, of course, who is French)
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Pinkrenata Wrote:
I've loved Anastasia for years, although I am well aware of its many faults. I agree with Kram that Rasputin was a rather unnecessary villain and have even skipped through his scenes during various viewings of the film. I find Bartok a little annoying too, but I like Anastasia as a heroine, and Dimitri is pretty much the nicest-looking animated male around.

Two things that annoy me most in the movie:

1). The not-so-good transition between regular to computer animation

and

2). The fact that everyone has a Russian accent besides Anastasia and Dimitri (and Sophie, of course, who is French)
Wow!!! Renata has a favorite non-Disney film.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
DigginDisney
Limited Issue

Post by DigginDisney »

I can't say i've seen it but i must admit it does kinda look better than most non-disney films...
*-"Your cruel, device. Your blood, like ice. One look, could kill. My pain, your thrill - Poison"-*
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

well, if Ani and Dimitri couldn´t be understood by the people, hw will they will feel identified with them and why would they buy the DVD and the mercadishing stuff?
Joshrzmeup
Special Edition

Post by Joshrzmeup »

I've always liked Anastasia. The music is sweet and haunting, and the animation was good.
I agree about the whole Rasputin/villian thing, but then again, when does an animated movie correctly relay what actually happened? I think they didn't want to make him as intense a villian as some of the Disney ones.
User formerly known as LizzieMcGuire Image
Raydawggie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Raydawggie »

I don't think anything can touch Prince of Egypt or Joseph, King of Dreams. They're just on awhole other level. I never liked Anastasia much. It had good songs, but it tried too hard to copy the Disney formula, and quite frankly, it was, like Hunchback, a rather creepy thing to make an animated movie about! And Rasputin was basically a decomposing version of Jafar.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Though better than alot of Dreamworks films, I found this film a bit boring. My favorite non-Disney movies are Chicken Run and The Iron Giant!
MovieMusicals.net
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MovieMusicals.net »

I thought we discussed this. There is no such thing as a "Disney formula." :wink:
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I am interested in seeing this, but I must admit that some of the comments being made here are swaying me away from seeing the film, of which I have been thinking of blind buying (I've seen it in a sale in a pack with two other films for £9.99). I may go for it, as I hear that the bonus features are supposedly good for a 1 discer, so even if I hate the movie, I'll still have something to enjoy. :)
MovieMusicals.net
Gold Classic Collection

I GUARENTEE you will NOT hate this movie! It's brilliant. Better than the recent Disney films we've gotten.

You will NOT be disappointed in buying this film!
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

I really LOVED Anastasia but I was disappointed that it was only a 1-disc. :roll: BUT, I was also glad Wal-Mart put it on sale for $4.88! :)

The songs are amazing and so memorable! And (hahaha) it has such a cute and romantic story! I mean, yea, it bugged me when the CGI was combined in there with the 2D animation (i.e.: the music box when the Dowager Empress was holding it) but I found it to be cool after watching it many many times. :p

Rasputin annoyed the hell out of me and though it wasn't exactly the story of Anastasia, he did make a good villain. Bartok made it funnier (he's like the iago to jafar but a lot nicer!).

I also thought the cast was a great choice and matched the characters! :) That made the movie more enjoyable. As for bonus features, I'm glad they put Aaliyah in there...

...would've been cool if Disney picked it up. They could've used it. ;)
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

I love this movie. It has many faults, but it still manages to entertain the whole family (without turning to bathroom jokes :P ). It's a true animated classic despite its small popularity. I haven't bought it yet. I'm hoping that a new edition will come soon (since the old is to become OOP real soon).
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Post by my chicken is infected »

I ADORE Anastasia. I own the DVD and agree that it needs a 2-disc with anamorphic widescreen. Music videos would also be a good idea. I always wished that the Journey To The Past video had been included. The more Aaliyah, the better.
-Joey
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

MovieMusicals.net wrote:I GUARENTEE you will NOT hate this movie! It's brilliant. Better than the recent Disney films we've gotten.

You will NOT be disappointed in buying this film!
I beg to differ. In a word, Anastasia is disposable. You'll have a good time if you end up enjoying it, but you won't die if you don't see it. It's not essential viewing. I would go for it if you have found it with two other DVDs for that price. That's a very good deal. The only way I will even possible consider buying it on DVD is if it comes out in a great Speical Edition with extras that even surpass Disney's latest 2-Discers. :lol:
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
MovieMusicals.net
Gold Classic Collection

Like I said, I disagree. :lol:

If you like musicals, it IS essential.

If your only an animation fan, it's up to you. Like I said, you won't be disappointed in seeing it, as it is not a BAD film. It's GOOD.
streetsofgold

Post by streetsofgold »

I like this movie alot. Havn't seen it in years but I bet I'll still rate it highly and was a definate return to form from mr bluth.

The animation is gorgeous too. The style and deep colours really make this film stand out. The songs make this film work. They could of been awful, but they are pretty good.

Rasputins song is easily on par with "be prepared" by Scar. And thats something.
"if u do just as ur told, these are streets of gold"

Better recognise sucker
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

The ending sucked big time. She should have kept the crown.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

The soundtrack sounds nice. I should rent the film. I heard At the Beginning on the radio. Donna Lewis has an interesting voice.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

I liked the film a lot, but always fast-forward through Rasputin's song (as much as I love Jim Cummings) every time I watch it. I'd still love to upgrade to DVD though, wish I'd seen it it at that cheap price at Wal-Mart!

She has a gorgeous character design. She's definitely in the Disney vein, but there's something about her that sets her apart and makes her unique.

I love the banter between her and Dimitri; not something you often see in an animated film.

It sorta made me feel cheated by the movie to know that the real Anastasia apparently disappeared forever. Then there was that lady that claimed to be her, but forensics proved otherwise (although I wonder how accurate the findings were). Such a tragic real-life story and we have a fairy tale from that? Something's wrong here. Still, the ending made sense for the film and I enjoyed it.
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Post by my chicken is infected »

Sunset Girl wrote:there was that lady that claimed to be her, but forensics proved otherwise (although I wonder how accurate the findings were)
I don't think they were accurate at all, IMO. I still believe Anna Anderson WAS the real Anastasia. She just knew too much private stuff.
-Joey