Lilo & Stitch aspect ratio

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Dogtanian
Limited Issue

Lilo & Stitch aspect ratio

Post by Dogtanian »

Hi there,

Could someone please confirm what the original aspect ratio for "Lilo & Stitch" is?

I was going to order the R1 disc, but decided to check IMDB first. IMDB list the OAR as 1.85:1, while the specs given for the R1 disc say it is 1.66:1. The R2 disc seems to be 1.85:1 (checked both online and in-store).

Is one of the discs cropped? Or is it "over-scan" or some such thing? (I'm not too familiar with the term :oops: )
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I think the R2 version is 1.66:1 - there are black side bars when viewed on a PC. However the UK has a unique R2 release, different form the rest of Europe as it features Garath Gates on the closing credits and a music video.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

As with most of Disney's animated classics, Lilo & Stitch was animated at a 1.66:1 aspect ratio. It waas cropped to 1.85:1 for its theatrical run (this is where the IMDb gets the demented idea that 1.85:1 is its original aspect ratio) and to 1.33:1 for video. Thus, the DVD is the only way to see it in its correct 1.66:1 ratio. However, I think there's some overscan, so what you'll see depends on your TV. It IS presented in its true 1.66:1 ratio, though - there are reportedly black areas on the sides if viewed on a computer DVD-ROM drive.

The 1.66:1 ratio is the ratio used for all of Disney's animated classics since The Great Mouse Detective, with the exception of Atlantis: The Lost Empire, which was 2.35:1 Cinemascope.

However, if you can hold off on Lilo & Stitch, you might want to. The long-delayed two-disc special edition is in production, and Jim Hill says that it will street on January 27, 2004 along with special editions of "Pocahontas" and "Alice in Wonderland."
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Dogtanian
Limited Issue

Post by Dogtanian »

Thanks for the replies. I guess the R1 is the one to go for.....

I knew there was a 2 Disc SE coming, but January is ages away, and I missed it at the cinema.

At the price it would cost for the R1 disc, I think I'll just rent just now and hold out for the SE ;)

While we're on the subject of aspect ratios, is there any chance of The Fox & The Hound (quite possibly my favourite animated film) getting a release in its original aspect ratio (I assume IMDB is right on this one)?
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Jake-Aren't Tarzan and Fantasia 2000 1.85:1 on DVD?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Tarzan is 1.66:1, but I believe Fantasia 2000 is 1.85:1 as stated.
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

Not sure about the DVD aspect ratios for Tarzan and Fantasia 2000, but ALL of the Disney animated classics since The Great Mouse Detective have been animated for 1.66:1 with the exception of the 2.35:1 Cinemascope Atlantis. So, if the DVD is 1.85:1, it's cropped, just like Beauty and the Beast was. :P.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

no Fantasia 2000 was animated at 1:85 since it was a IMAX only film