UD Heroes & Heroines Countdown: Voting, Countdown Done

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
chaychay102royal
Anniversary Edition

Post by chaychay102royal »

RJKD23 wrote:What a lovely countdown!
I never would've guessed that Al could beat Simba! :o
I didn't know either.

I'm very happy that Belle came out in the top spot. She is by far the most developed Disney princess in personality and deeds. I mean what did Snow White do besides giggle at birds, barge into people's homes and clean their dishes and sing opera?
Raydawggie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Raydawggie »

I was thrilled with the heroes list(Herc at number 4, Aladdin at number 1! Woohoo!). I also like the heroines countdown, although I do wish numbers one and two had been reversed. Belle is a deserving winner, though. It was a great list.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

The list was great. Only Dash was missing for me!
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

I wish Ariel were #1 or at least #2. I really never liked Mulan as a character. She annoys me :oops: Great list, nonetheless. :)
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

Great countdown! This has got to be one of my favorites. I'm totally thrilled that Aladdin claimed the number one spot, even thought I was not in the least surprised. He's just so cool! I am surprised that Mulan and Pocahontas made the top 5 in their respective list, but I'm equally happy, considering they were my top choices. I think their recently released Special Editions had a lot to do with glossing over the general ill-will towards them. (If you don't fall madly in love with a prince at first sight and if you don't wear a ball room gown, you're just not in the club! :x ) I would have rather had Nani make the list instead of her little sister, and I guess my For Your Consideration ad for David was pretty unsuccessful (he wasn't even a runners-up!). Oh, well, I tried. I thought maybe getting a couple of people to put him at high rankings would overcome the fact that he wasn't on everyone's list, but I guess not. Heroes was just so competitive, I underestimated those low count votes.
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm actually very surprised Belle was number one. Mulan, IMO, was much more heroic than her. Not to mention more realistic. But I guess that's just me. And I can't believe Jasmine was anywhere near the top five. I also agree with Prince Eric that Nani should've been in place of Lilo. Lilo did nothing heroic, she didn't even have the patience or understanding of Cinderella and Wendy.

With the guys it was a no-brainer.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Mouseketodd
Gold Classic Collection

Heroes/Heroines countdown

Post by Mouseketodd »

Thanks, Luke, for your efforts.... This was the first countdown I have been a part of since becoming active in this forum. I had wanted to contribute to the character observations, but didn't sit down to write any.

I must say that I'm quite disappointed with the results. I knew most of the rankings submitted focused on animated characters (if not exclusively), but I had expected more live-action people in the final rankings -- at least more than two.

Maybe a majority of the participants didn't realize this countdown was open to live-action also, didn't sit down and take time to consider heroics and virtue in non-animated protagonists, or just haven't been exposed to a decent sampling of Disney's 50+ years of live-action films.

Or, maybe they have, and just didn't find non-cartoon fare worth honoring... everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I just wonder if: 1) Mary and Mia should be removed from the list; 2) heroines 26 and 27 (or whichever animated characters are next) moved inside the final rankings; 3) rename the countdown to specify animation.
My handmade paperweights, including Disney subjects -- some contain viewable movie cells!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tmhofherr
Currently listed: Ludwig Von Drake, Annette, Zorro, Star Wars, the Wicked Witch, Classic Tron, and more!
Dan05
Special Edition

Post by Dan05 »

Thanks Luke! The countdown was great!

I was shocked when I saw that Mulan was second. I thought she would get first, but i'm glad Belle got it.

I also thought that Simba would get first place, but Aladdin is a great hero aswell so it's all good :D
Luke
Site Admin

Re: Heroes/Heroines countdown

Post by Luke »

C3PO wrote:I just wonder if: 1) Mary and Mia should be removed from the list; 2) heroines 26 and 27 (or whichever animated characters are next) moved inside the final rankings; 3) rename the countdown to specify animation.
That would definitely be an interesting project for me and for you, and for the handful of others who included live action heroes/heroines in their list (which I always enjoyed seeing), but if only 70 or so people voted in this countdown, I imagine there'd be a far less 'turnout' for just live action characters and less views of the results, etc. We'd still wind up with a modern-skewed results list and good characters in less well-known films would likely get ignored even more so than they did in this recent and the previous countdown, since many here have seen most of the animated classics. But I definitely agree with your assessment of the countdown. Live action characters were sorely missing, as were protagonists from older films.

Nonetheless, I'm glad that many people here have expressed a favorable opinion of it. The results are a consensus, so I imagine they can't be totally off for everyone, and the actual countdown entailed a lot of work, so I'm glad that wasn't for naught.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
James
Anniversary Edition

Re: Heroes/Heroines countdown

Post by James »

Luke wrote:But I definitely agree with your assessment of the countdown. Live action characters were sorely missing, as were protagonists from older films.
I was actually hoping that Scott Calvin from The Santa Clause films would make the cut, but there was obviously not enough votes for him. I was also wishing for Queen Clarisse form the Princess Diaries films to be in the countdown as she is kind of a heroine. I would've voted for them, but I hadn't joined at that point. Also, when will the next countdown occur, and what will it be about?
-James
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

Yay! I was #9!!! :twisted:
Defy Gravity
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

The countdown had a lot of surprises, both positive and negative. The recent animation domination (this is Disney, people, not Fox!) was a negative surprise... Mulan not being #1 was a positive one. In short, not what I expected but still a lot of fun. Thanks for all the work you put into it, Luke. Maybe the timing was just bad? I hate that there was less involvement this time around... that isn't a reflection of the countdown or its topic or anything like that, I don't think. Maybe it's the large influx of newbies and the small outflux of oldies? Maybe the time will be right for a live-action countdown some day. Until then, Nora and Eglantine reign supreme in my mind! (Another pleasant surprise... VERY surprising, actually... Eglantine almost made the top 25).

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

Prince Phillip wrote:Yay! I was #9!!! :twisted:
Ya man! Cuz without you, Sleeping Beauty would still be...sleeping. ;)
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

awallaceunc wrote:The countdown had a lot of surprises, both positive and negative. The recent animation domination (this is Disney, people, not Fox!) was a negative surprise... Mulan not being #1 was a positive one. In short, not what I expected but still a lot of fun.
-Aaron
Another plus: Englatine being bested by 25 other women, and rightly so. :o
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
chaychay102royal
Anniversary Edition

Prince Eric wrote:
awallaceunc wrote:The countdown had a lot of surprises, both positive and negative. The recent animation domination (this is Disney, people, not Fox!) was a negative surprise... Mulan not being #1 was a positive one. In short, not what I expected but still a lot of fun.
-Aaron
Another plus: Englatine being bested by 25 other women, and rightly so. :o
Who is Englatine?
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

chaychay102royal wrote:Who is Englatine?
Eglantine is the lead character played by Angela Lansbury in Bedknobs & Broomsticks. She saves England from a Nazi invasion, but I guess that isn't heroic.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

I picked Mufasa as the #1 hero, so I was a little disappointed that he did not land in the Top 25. However, he did get an honorable mention, so he is not forgotten. Anyway, here are the comments I made about him:

Mufasa is a courageous leader and noble warrior, but most importantly, he is a wonderful father and husband. If I had to pick any character from a Disney movie to be my father, it would be Mufasa. He spends time with his son, teaches him about the nature of the world, and he always looks out for him. Even when he has to discipline Simba, he does it with love and compassion.

Hats off to James Earl Jones and all of the animators who worked on Mufasa!
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
chaychay102royal
Anniversary Edition

awallaceunc wrote:
chaychay102royal wrote:Who is Englatine?
Eglantine is the lead character played by Angela Lansbury in Bedknobs & Broomsticks. She saves England from a Nazi invasion, but I guess that isn't heroic.

-Aaron
Oh, yeah! I forgot about her. I haven't seen that movie in years.
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

awallaceunc wrote:The countdown had a lot of surprises, both positive and negative. The recent animation domination (this is Disney, people, not Fox!) was a negative surprise... Mulan not being #1 was a positive one. In short, not what I expected but still a lot of fun. Thanks for all the work you put into it, Luke. Maybe the timing was just bad? I hate that there was less involvement this time around... that isn't a reflection of the countdown or its topic or anything like that, I don't think. Maybe it's the large influx of newbies and the small outflux of oldies? Maybe the time will be right for a live-action countdown some day. Until then, Nora and Eglantine reign supreme in my mind! (Another pleasant surprise... VERY surprising, actually... Eglantine almost made the top 25).

-Aaron
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but who is Nora?
-James
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

James wrote:
awallaceunc wrote:The countdown had a lot of surprises, both positive and negative. The recent animation domination (this is Disney, people, not Fox!) was a negative surprise... Mulan not being #1 was a positive one. In short, not what I expected but still a lot of fun. Thanks for all the work you put into it, Luke. Maybe the timing was just bad? I hate that there was less involvement this time around... that isn't a reflection of the countdown or its topic or anything like that, I don't think. Maybe it's the large influx of newbies and the small outflux of oldies? Maybe the time will be right for a live-action countdown some day. Until then, Nora and Eglantine reign supreme in my mind! (Another pleasant surprise... VERY surprising, actually... Eglantine almost made the top 25).

-Aaron
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but who is Nora?
-James
Nora is the lighthouse keeper along with her father, Lampie in Pete's Dragon.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08