MUST SEE: Platinum release calendar for France!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
KinOO
Gold Classic Collection

MUST SEE: Platinum release calendar for France!

Post by KinOO »

So, it seems that Disney would like to focalize more on the France market with Platinum, on a store at Disney Village at disneyland Resort Paris: a calendar of the releases:

Alladin: March 2004
Little MErmaid: October 2004
Bambi: march 2005
Jungle Book: october 2005
Lady and the Tramp: march 2006
101 dalmatians: octoebr 2006
Fantasia: 2007

So, what dya think about it? Suudenly want to live in France ;-D
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Wow....
That looks groovy!
SE Mermaid by end of next year :D

I've HAVE been thinking about moving to France for a few years now... :P
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Very nice, but where is "Cinderella"?! Maybe it will really be released internationaly this October!
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

WTF ???? :? :? :x :x

Don't get me wrong...I'm happy for you folks that get these. But why the huge deviation from the US release schedule...esp on the heels of the comments from Disney stating that the two-a-year release schedule would begin in 2005?
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Sorry, KinOO, but you had copied the list incorrectly:

Aladdin: march 2004
The Little Mermaid: october 2004
Bambi: march 2005
The Jungle Book: october 2005
Cinderella: march 2006
Lady and the Tramp: october 2006
101 Dalmatians: march 2007
Fantasia: october 2007
KinOO
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KinOO »

thanks for the correction! i was so excited ! :oops:
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Did the list actually state "Platinum"? or "Edition Collector"? I think the distinction is important for two reasons

1) We know Disney France does release "Edition Collectors" before their US releases (see Sleeping Beauty and Peter Pan)

2) Sadly, when these sets are released in the US, they are likely to have more supplements (see the Commentary on Sleeping Beauty).

So this list may have no relation to the US release schedule.

However, if they were labeled as Platinum, then a worldwide release window is likely (and the october and march dates seem to confirm this).

I'm surprised by some of the releases - but I think they are more or less in the same order as one of the Platinum release calendars I saw somewhere (perhaps on this site at one point) just speeded up.

As far as I know, no non-US Disney branch has confirmed the increased frequencey so this is major news. :)
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
KinOO
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KinOO »

Here is a picture of the planning:

Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Cool! Thanks for posting that, KinOO.
Matty-Mouse
Special Edition

Post by Matty-Mouse »

It does make you wonder what disney france are going to put on these releases? It was easy for them to put together a 2 disc Sleeping Beauty and Peter Pan because they just ported over the stuff that they'd left from the Laserdisc. With titles like Bambi, Aladdin, Little Mermaid and Jungle Book which they plan on releasing before the US release edition they'll have to make their own stuff or do they have the stuff to put on to them already?

I mean the Laserdisc's for those releases didn't have much on them so if they port over all the stuff that was on the Laserdisc that wont be enough to put on to two discs?

Oh my god there is so much confusion with this!
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?

Well thats actually low in fat so you can eat as much of that as you like.
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Well, in some ways it kinda does make some sense.
Sleeping Beauty came out in the UK (and the rest fo Europe? I'm not sure...) at least 7 months before the US release (I believe it came out in January over there), and the same lapse seems to be present in the French releases.

SB just happened to have more features when it came out in the US. The same might happen in this case too.

It seems strange though that ALL the titles seem to be 7 months from 2004 onwards. You might expect the non-Platinums to come out whenever, but Aladdin has a solid October date for the US - you wouldn't think they'd announce it so early for another region...

Anyways, it might change but if Aladdin does come out in March I will HAVE to buy it from France...
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

Loomis is that such a good idea? I heard that the French Sleeping Beauty had horrible large French Subtitles that the person, who was talking about it, could not get rid of, and they had said that they wish they had gotten the UK, cause they were sure there wouild be no subtitles...

It was a person on ebay, I guess they had decided to sell their French copy so they could get the US copy...

Aladdin might have this same problem, besides if it is a matter of only 7 months just wait for the US, which is sure to be better abyways, no offense to you all in Europe, but even you guys have often said the US editions have stuff the other regions don't... however, you might have to deal with the US cover, but once the case is on the shelf and the discs are in the DVD player, a cover won't matter. :wink: :)

Now the Little Mermaid, that's different since it's a whole year's difference. :twisted:
Defy Gravity
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Prince Phillip wrote:Loomis is that such a good idea? I heard that the French Sleeping Beauty had horrible large French Subtitles that the person, who was talking about it, could not get rid of, and they had said that they wish they had gotten the UK, cause they were sure there wouild be no subtitles...
The French Sleeping Beauty 2 disc set had English film and disc 1 supplements. Disc 2 was French only with Franch menus, subtitles and overdubbing (French voices over faint English soundtrack)

However, every single disc release is fully bi-lingual and their 2 disc Peter Pan set offers English options on each disc's root menu. (Click here for English)
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Prince Phillip wrote:Loomis is that such a good idea?
No, but me want me want!
I guess it would probably be wiser to wait for the US/local release, but I think I just got excited at the prospect of having it so soon.
And the French copy would look good on my...must resist....shelf next to the...be strong...other DVDs....no....

(Angle and Devil Pluto Loomis continue their eternal struggle).