MULAN II DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Picked up my copy earlier today at Best Buy for $17.99. Not sure why so many of the reviews stated that this was better than most DTV-fare, because I don't find it to be. In fact, I'd even put the cheaper Aladdin sequels above it. That's not to say its bad - I quite enjoyed it, in fact. With Disney sequels, I'm never expecting anything at the level of the original film, so I'm never really dissapointed, unless the sequel is exceptionally sucky. Mulan II was light, fluffy, and predictable, as most of the DTVs are, but it was enjoyable and rewatchable.

How could it be improved? The pacing, mainly. The first 50 minutes or so of the movie are quite slow, and the last 30 minutes move very quickly. Because of that, a lot of major plot points were needlessly rushed through.

Overall, I'd give it 6/10. Typical DTV fare.
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

RJKD23 wrote:I bought my copy of Mulan today @ Wal-mart for $16.87. :roll:
Wow! Well in Canada the only classic animated DVDs I've seen currently that low are the Rescuers movies, Great Mouse Detective, Hunchback of Notre Dame.
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Here in Puerto Rico, I did not find it at Borders, Specs or Suncoast because they ran out of it. I bought it at Costco for $18.49. Saw it last night, rate: 7.25
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
PrincessJen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PrincessJen »

hmmm, that sounds like the best deal yet. I wonder why some walmarts have them for more than that....i'll have to check mine. Anyone know if target's any cheaper?
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

My sister bought Mulan II today (not sure why-she hates the original), and I watched until the part where Mulan discovers Mushu in her saddlebag.

I just found that I couldn't watch it, though my mom and sister say to wait until the end, that it gets really good...but I'm not sure.
Defy Gravity...
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

reyquila wrote:Here in Puerto Rico, I did not find it at Borders, Specs or Suncoast because they ran out of it. I bought it at Costco for $18.49. Saw it last night, rate: 7.25
Is that 7.25 out of 100?

:lol:

Ah just kidding. :)
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

PrincessJen wrote:

hmmm, that sounds like the best deal yet. I wonder why some walmarts have them for more than that....i'll have to check mine. Anyone know if target's any cheaper?
I checked Target because someone on the forum said it was $15.99, but @ the Targets (plural, yes the Targets around my area I went too!), they were selling it for $17.99, and also some Wal-marts sell it different prices. The one next to me was $17.87, but the one in the (how shall I put it nicely...) "not as nice and clean" area sold it for $16.87 (but their DVDs were new! :))
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

I gave it a rental tonight. Eh, it's not too bad. I thought the character desings of the princesses were really cute and appealing.

But I couldn't get into the story like I did the original. It simply felt like I was sitting in my living room watching a movie.
psifreek27
Gold Classic Collection

Post by psifreek27 »

I bought it yesterday, and i must say im very pleased with the film, i recently fell in love all over again with mulan with the purchase of the original...so when i saw the commercial for the second, i was really excited. The animation is totally spot on and really slick, colors are vibrant when needed...im not saying the film is missing flaws.,because it does have some.But for a chance to see Mulan,Shang,Mushu,Cricket, the three again...was just great. I always enjoy the sequels because i get to see new material from these great characters. The only Disney sequel i havent truly enjoyed too much was Cinderella 2 and Atlantis:Milo's return(i know its a trashy tv series cut/paste job) and Hunchback 2 (though that story is good, the animation reaks).

Mulan II

PROS:
-Seeing the Characters again
-the story between "ying and yang"
-Lesson Number 1
-the new characters (the princess' were great)
-the final big finish was excellent
-Mulan's sacrifice was great
-Mark Moseley did an excellent job as mushu

CONS:
-Too Mushu Centric plot
-Too little Lea Salonga
-intzsy bit more of shang and mulan wouldve been great
-wouldve liked to have seen a better ending scene than the whole mushu guardian scene....cmon no wedding scene!?!?! between any of the characters?!?!?...that got me upset, but i still enjoyed it.
-needed a BIG song...i was always expecting one between shang and mulan...every time they argued..i was expecting something in the "Forget about love" vein.
-LOVED the original intro to the film in the Deleted Scenes

Dont think that so many cons is a bad thing...i totally Reccommend the film if you love Mulan. To me this feels more like a 1 1/2 since it takes place a month after part 1...it would be nice to receive a more epic "Mulan III" to finish of the tale of Fa Mulan, the hero of china. I really love these characters!
"I love school...to bad classes get in the way"-zack morris...the master of scams
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

I watched it yesterday and thought..
it had a cute story, BUT the movie overall started off slow, and ended really fast.
I still like Mulan. :)
PrincessJen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PrincessJen »

RJKD23 wrote:
PrincessJen wrote:
I checked Target because someone on the forum said it was $15.99, but @ the Targets (plural, yes the Targets around my area I went too!), they were selling it for $17.99, and also some Wal-marts sell it different prices. The one next to me was $17.87, but the one in the (how shall I put it nicely...) "not as nice and clean" area sold it for $16.87 (but their DVDs were new! :))
ah, perhaps i should make a trip down to one of 'those' walmarts. Gotta be in a really good mood to do that though.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

I can't really give a full opinion on the film, because I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes! I superficially watched most of the rest of the film, but everything I saw didn't pass the line of mediocrity. And people still wonder why Disney films are now a novelty and no longer an event.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Some of the lost posts:

<hr>

Mermaid Kelly
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:03 pm Post subject:

I watched my dvd last night, and I actually liked the movie! I thought it was well done! :)

spoiler (well not really, but maybe just a tad)
It was so obvious that the three princesses were going to end up with the three guys! I could tell right from the start!! :roll:

<hr>

RJKD23
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:27 pm Post subject:
MermaidKelly wrote: I watched my dvd last night, and I actually liked the movie! I thought it was well done! :)
spoiler (well not really, but maybe just a tad)
It was so obvious that the three princesses were going to end up with the three guys! I could tell right from the start!! :roll:

so did i! :thumb: it was obvious with the 3:3 ratio! :P

<hr>
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
PrincessJen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PrincessJen »

I finally got to watching my copy of Mulan II and like most of you, I thought i was majorly slow and even boring at times during the first half.

Mushu (spelling?) was given way too much screen-time, imo, and the ending was good, but nothing amazimg. I still liked it, but i had wished for so much more!!

I loved the 3 Princesses, they were so cute!
Key
Special Edition

Post by Key »

PrincessJen wrote:I loved the 3 Princesses, they were so cute!
I agree that they had adorable designs. Especially the youngest one.

I just found out that Shang's voice was the same voice from the original movie (B.D. Wong). I was like... no way. He sounded so... subdued and submissive. Really annoying, too. :/
Wherever. Whatever. Have a nice day.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

i bought Mulan II the other day, and i think it's pretty good considering other movie's of it's nature that Disney has released. I thought the animation was pretty good, and the story was too. a little dull at times but over all i thought it was good work. I think the best way to handel these direct to DVD movies is to not take them seriously at all, i mean yes they are sort of taking away the magic from the originals but then again, they are still different movies, it's not like they are changing the originals forever!

P.S. is it just me or does the fast play thing bother you? it annoys me, lol! i just don't see a point in it, as if clicking on the play button on the menu is that hard.
PrincessJen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PrincessJen »

singerguy04 wrote:
P.S. is it just me or does the fast play thing bother you? it annoys me, lol! i just don't see a point in it, as if clicking on the play button on the menu is that hard.
LOL, my thoughts exactly. The concept of it is so stupid that i didn't understand what it was for at first!
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

ok, since someone brought it up.
can someone quickly, briefly explain why "Fast Play" is on the DVDs? Because I don't get it. :roll:
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Fastplay just plays the movie and a selection of bonus features... it's just like popping in a VHS... you don't have to press anything as soon as you put it into the player. It bypasses the menus and everything.

Anyways these are good for little kids so you can put the DVD and it'll play the movie and some bonus features but then again, kids today, I'm sure they can figure out how to use a DVD remote easily.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

i still think it's dumb, lol. Just as long as they keep that away from the platinum editions i'm ok with it's existance, but if it comes near a PE.... they will have a very mad singerguy to deal with :wink: