Ultimate Disney Movie Awards 2005 - AWARDS CEREMONY

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Ultimate Disney Movie Awards 2005 - AWARDS CEREMONY

Post by Jack »

<center>Image</center>

Announcer: Live, from the UD forums, it’s the Ultimate Disney Movie Awards 2005 Ceremony! Please welcome your host for the ceremony this evening, Jack!

Jack: Hello, and welcome one and all to our first ever awards ceremony here at UD! Tonight is the night when everyone here at the forums can celebrate our favorite films of the past year.

You know, it took quite a bit of effort to get this thing all set up. In trying to figure out a way to make the announcing of the winners interesting, I thought up a lot of different ideas, connected to the films nominated this evening – such as having it be a musical, in which the winner’s names are sung; or having the whole thing being in Aramaic with subtitles at the bottom; or having it play in reverse, to only have the watchers discover that their memories have been erased. I tried to contact celebrities to see if they’d be interested in getting involved, including the likes of Napoleon Dynamite, who refused to join in unless he could campaign for Pedro, and Ron Burgundy, who didn’t want to partake unless he had a teleprompter and big bottle of Scotch. I even went so far as to contact DreamWorks to see if they’d be interested in doing a duplicate of this thread, and Michael Moore to ask if he’d do a documentary on my underhandedness in counting the votes.

But you know what? In the end, I thought: “Why not just get the members involved?” So that’s what I did! Tonight, several members will be presenting the various categories. After giving their speeches, they’ll announce the winners for each award.

Well, it’s about time to get the ball rolling! Just please remember these helpful hints during our ceremony: 1) Don’t bother checking, there’s no treasure maps on the back of our ballots, 2) Watch out for any flying broomsticks, as we invited a few members of Hogwarts to attend, and 3) In case our chandelier falls, he have Mr. Incredible on speed-dial.

Enjoy the show everyone!

Announcer: The first awards, and a look at some of the movies nominated tonight, will be presented by forum members in just a few moments!
Last edited by Jack on Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Ultimate Disney Awards

Post by Disney Guru »

I was asked to present best actor, and Jack has my statement so I will ask him to post it.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

For those who are presenters: Don't worry, I have all your speeches. I'm going to be posting them.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Announcer: Throughout the evening, we’ll be taking a look at the films nominated for the top prize, Best Movie (Overall). Who better to provide it than the site admin of Ultimate Disney? Please give a warm welcome to Luke!

Luke: You can erase pencil marks. You can erase a disk. But you can't erase the memory of a former love . . . can you? It’s possible in ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND, directed by Michel Gondry. Writer Charlie Kaufman has earned a reputation for bizarre, mind-bending scripts like "Being John Malkovich" and "Adaptation" and when you pair his thoughts with a rare down-to-earth performance by Jim Carrey, and an Oscar-nominated turn by Kate Winslet, you get this film – which you won't want to erase from your mind. At least I don't think so, that could be complicated. ETERNAL SUNSHINE is nominated for 6 awards tonight, including Best Movie (Overall).

Announcer: Give a little whistle and welcome JiminyCrick91!

JiminyCrick91: We all usually hate it. Editing in movies is horrible they take out characters, lines, and even full scenes. Yet the 1st time editing is very important. It can make a film make more sense, take out the most boring parts and make a film a much more reasonable length in time. Without it The Lord of the Rings would be 3 days long! Ok maybe I am that’s a bit extreme but for this we salute film editors and we present this award. The nominees for BEST EDITING are . . .

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
THE INCREDIBLES
SPIDER-MAN 2
THE VILLAGE

And the winner is . . .

Announcer: He’s Disney, and he’s kid – please give a warm welcome to our own Disneykid!

Disneykid: As films become more and more elaborate and imaginative, a vital component is needed to vividly bring wild ideas to life, whether it be a worldwide disaster, a dangerous game of Quidditch, artificial intelligence beings, a web-slinging superhero, or a fantastical look at the past. That component is the visual effect. It enhances the story and makes it more believable for a rapidly-growing, cynical audience. Careful balance is needed to ensure that the effects only support the narrative rather than overcoming it. These five films demonstrate just how to use modern tools to develop ideas that the mind has been dreaming up for years. The nominees for BEST VISUAL EFFECTS are . . .

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW
I, ROBOT
SPIDER-MAN 2
SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW

And the winner is . . .

Announcer: Here again is your host, Jack!

Jack: Hello again! Don’t worry; I’m not back to spew another jokey monologue. I’m here to present the musical categories. It’s amazing to think that, even though film is such a visual medium, the music it contains plays such an essential part in the overall effect on the audience. No matter what emotion the audience feels from what is happening on screen – suspense, fright, sadness, or joy – music can enhance that emotion two-fold. It’s well deserved then, that the musical component of film receives 2 categories unto itself.

The nominees for BEST ORIGINAL SCORE are . . .

HOME ON THE RANGE
THE INCREDIBLES
THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW

And the winner is . . .

THE INCREDIBLES

And now for our next musical category. Although songs are rarely part of the context of a movie these days, many are created to provide an accompaniment to the movie, and often times prove to some up what the essence of the movie is in just a few minutes. The nominees for BEST ORIGINAL SONG are . . .

“Accidentally in Love” – SHREK 2
“Breakaway” – THE PRINCESS DIARIES 2: ROYAL ENGAGEMENT
“Learn to be Lonely” – THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
“Little Patch of Heaven” – HOME ON THE RANGE
“Will the Sun Ever Shine Again” – HOME ON THE RANGE

The winner is . . .

“Breakaway” – THE PRINCESS DIARIES 2: ROYAL ENGAGEMENT

Announcer: Coming up – more Ultimate Disney members present awards for Set Design, Make-Up, Costumes, and Cinematography!
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

well that was cool but i think that little patch of heaven should have won best song. and did anybody find my speech at least ok?
Last edited by JiminyCrick91 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Awesome speeches, thus far! This is lots of fun and clearly the product of a great deal of effort. Well done, Jack. The party's in this thread tonight! :pink:

And already, surprise winners!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

I agree Jiminy, that was my vote. I was quite suprised that more members didn't vote for the HOME ON THE RANGE songs.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Announcer: Once again, giving us a look at another one of our Best Movie nominees, is Luke!

Luke: Pixie dust, Lost Boys, pirates, and Indians are all present in one of the last century's most widely-known fairy tales. Less known is the process which led playwright J.M. Barrie to the story of Peter Pan. FINDING NEVERLAND reveals this process and it inspires us as a look at artistic creation and as the portrait of a man whose muses were a family of boys, whose spirit kept the writer in touch with his youthfulness. NEVERLAND is nominated for 8 awards this evening, including Best Movie (Overall).

Announcer: We’re about to get a special bonus . . . BonusMage, that is!

BonusMage: Designers are people with a desire to create, combining knowledge with artistic ability turning abstract ideas into large designs for the environments the characters live in. Using their talent they can easily take us back in time or jump to the future, show the grandest environments or most bleak, set the mood within seconds and portray the scale of the film, drawing everyone’s breath. The nominees for BEST SET DESIGN are . . .

I, ROBOT
LEMONY SNICKET’S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
TROY

And the winner is . . .

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

Announcer: Next up, the queen of UD, and someone who knows a thing or two about the subject of our next category – Pinkrenata!

Pinkrenata: Make-up is a wonderful thing. Being a daily make-up wearer, I know this firsthand. Make-up can create magic. It can make a beautiful person hideous and an ugly person lovely. The nominees in the make-up category this year range from depicting book/comic book characters to monstrous deformities as well as portraying the aftermath of suffering. May the best application win! The nominees for BEST MAKE-UP are . . .

HELLBOY
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

And the winner is . . .

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

Announcer: If it weren’t for the switch in the last few letters of his name, we’d probably all confuse him with Ariel! Here’s TheLittleMerman!

TheLittleMerman: Costumes can make the person. Whether it is a love-struck musical madman, an insane guardian, or even Jesus, they can be the icing on top of the cake to a movie. Here are the nominees for BEST COSTUMES . . .

FINDING NEVERLAND
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
TROY

And the winner is . . .

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

Announcer: Here’s another one of our esteemed female members of UD – Snowhite8!

Snowhite8: The art of Cinematography is what helped to breathe life into films that were once flat and stage like. It's the quick movement and slight of hand that brings the audience into alignment with the filmmaker. Magic in it's own right, Cinematography is the story...told in film. In the past, this prestigious award has gone to a vast array of films from Gone with the Wind to JFK; Schindler's List to American Beauty.
This year, the UD BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY nominees are . . .

MAN ON FIRE
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

And the winner is . . .

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

Announcer: Coming up are the 2005 Special Awards, and the categories for Best Screenplay!
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Post by The Little Merman »

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera has so far won 4 of its 10 Awards!!! WoO-HoO!!
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

wow with that batch i think that LEMONY SNICKET’S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS should have won a bunch and not the phantom of the opera :roll: .

oh well.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Announcer: Welcome back the man who MMP loves – Luke!

Luke: Few books are as well-known and revered as J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. This makes them an immediate draw at the box office. But it also makes them a challenge to adapt. The books need to be brought to film in a way that is faithful enough to appease fans and yet imaginative enough not to follow the patterns. Alfonso Cuarón may have been a surprising choice to direct the third installment, but he finds just this right tone in HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN. This is the most clear-cut winner for Best Time Travel Paradox Sequence in a Sequel we've seen in fifteen years. In addition, HARRY POTTER is the most-nominated movie of the night, up for 13 categories, including Best Movie (Overall).

Announcer: Give a round of applause (or don’t) to bring back your host for this evening, Jack!

Jack: Back again, this time to present the Special Catagories for 2005. Aside from the standard awards that most every awards show gives out, we wanted to throw in a few extra ones just for fun. It’s my pleasure to announce the nominees for these now.

The nominees for BEST FAT GUY are . . .

Fat Albert – FAT ALBERT
Mr. Incredible / Bob Parr – THE INCREDIBLES
Michael Moore – FAHRENHEIT 9/11
Nick, the Hawaiian Cook – 50 FIRST DATES
Alameda Slim – HOME ON THE RANGE

The winner is . . .

Mr. Incredible / Bob Parr – THE INCREDIBLES

Whew, the anxiety of who would win that one was a huge weight on my shoulders! (:rolleyes:) Moving on . . . 2004 was a major year for sequels. As always, a good many of them stunk, but a number of them surprised fans as turning out as good, or better, than their predecessors. The nominees for BEST SEQUEL are . . .

THE BOURNE SUPREMACY
MEET THE FOCKERS
SHREK 2
SPIDER-MAN 2

And the winner is . . .

SPIDER-MAN 2

Announcer: Next, he’s two studios in one – please welcome Disneywb!

Disneywb: Every year, millions flock to the theatre to experience the new stories from Hollywood. Often, fans will closely follow the works of their favorite directors and actors, but surely none of the magic of film would be possible without screenwriters. For months they may labor on a single story, facing numerous rewrites and receiving decidedly less acclaim for the finished product than their more visible creative counterparts. Also, one of the most difficult tasks for a screenwriter can be that of adapting a story for film. The screenwriter seeks to balance the needs of the film medium (visuals, action, pacing, and so forth) with the goal of staying true to the story’s source. Maintaining the original magic of a story when adapting it for film is a goal that is attempted numerous times every year, but is successful only in a scant few productions.

These films are all of such caliber, and their writers all deserve recognition for their achievements. Theirs is a labor of love, simply dreaming that the public might experience and enjoy the scripts they have created themselves. Thousands of screenplays are submitted to producers each year, and many truly creative works have never even made it to production. This night, however, is to honor those who have.

The nominees for BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY are . . .

FINDING NEVERLAND
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
SPIDER-MAN 2

And the winner is . . .

FINDING NEVERLAND

Now, the nominees for BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY are . . .

GARDEN STATE
THE INCREDIBLES
NAPOLEON DYNAMITE
NATIONAL TREASURE

The winner for this award is . . .

Announcer: Coming up in just a few moments, we get into the acting catagories, including the awards for both Supporting and Lead actors & actresses!
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

i have an other disagreement BEST FAT GUY should be Slim (but bob's great too i geuss)
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Wow so far I'm kinda disappointed in some of these categories but it's awards and usually my picks never win.

Come on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind!
Last edited by orestes. on Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

So far the count on award winners is...

Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera- 4 awards. Set Design, Make-Up, Cinematography, Costumes.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- 2 Awards. Editing, Original Screenplay.

The Incredibles- 2 Awards. Score, Fat-Guy.

Finding Neverland- 1 Award. Adapted Screenplay.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- 1 Award. Special Effects.

The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement- 1 Award. Song.

Spider-Man 2- 1 Award. Sequel.

**I will keep track and edit my post as the night goes on... :D
Last edited by The Little Merman on Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Hi

Post by Disney Guru »

I also agree with Jiminy, that best fat guy should have been Slim. But Bob is still great as recieving the award.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
SofaKing381222
Anniversary Edition

Post by SofaKing381222 »

How can Harry Potter have only gotten 1 so far, thats not right... :headshake: :headshake: :headshake:
We need season sets of all DCOSs and all DCOMs on DVD! And Better Cover Art!

My DVD's / My Space
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Announcer: Welcome back! Once again, here’s Luke!

Luke: With the recent favor audiences have shown towards their films, superheroes have returned to the big screen. Leave it to Pixar to give us an original and inspiring take on the matter. With THE INCREDIBLES, writer/director Brad Bird has created a world that seems to jump off the pages of comic books. This is no ordinary jump, but an invigorating hyper-leap which, like most of the action in the film, defies the laws of nature. At the same time, THE INCREDIBLES is a compelling story of an identifiable suburban family coping with everyday challenges. This blend of the spectacular and the ordinary gives this stunning production a successful duality in tune with human realities and fantasies. The film also happens to feature just about the most amazing computer animation we have seen. Contrasted to the family films which ask little of their audiences, it's refreshing how rich THE INCREDIBLES is in themes, characterization, and imagination. No wonder it’s been nominated for 8 awards, including Best Movie (Overall).

Announcer: Here’s one of our resident movie buffs, PrinceEric!

PrinceEric: I'd like to say thank you to all the members who've participated thus far in the awards. This group of nominees has been a diverse and satisfying retrospective of the many films of 2004. What exactly does an actress who lends support do? In short, a supporting actress lends herself to the plot of the movie, doing anything to aid in the director's plight for a moving entertainment. Supporting roles can range from small, eight minute soliloquies to a co-lead, but all share one thing in common...they're not THE lead. LOL. The diverse group of women in this category represent the best of character actors and acting in general. Here are the nominees for BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Julie Andrews – THE PRINCESS DIARIES 2: ROYAL ENGAGEMENT
Maia Morgenstern – THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
Gwyneth Paltrow – SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW
Miranda Richardson – THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
Emma Watson – HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN

And the winning actress is . . .

Maia Morgenstern – THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST

Announcer: Get your lightsabers ready, here comes Lord-of-sith!

Lord-of-sith: This year has been a year full of entertaining Supporting Actor nominations. Steve Carell delivers a hilarious performance as Brick, a mentally retarded weather man. Many of the laughs result in him making off comments such as an insult about men buying clothes from a toilet store. Micheal Gambon gives a dark, yet whimsical performance as Albus Dumbledore, replacing Richard Harris, and gives a hippie-like quality to Dumbledore that makes him a fit replacement. 12-year Old Freddie Highmore plays a young child that inspires Johnny Depp's J.M. Barrey to write Peter Pan. Highmore gives an amazing child performance that rivals 13-year old Keisha Castle-Hughes Oscar nominated performance in Whale Rider. Alfred Molina plays the menacing villain Doctor Otto Octavius in Spiderman 2. He gives a sinister performance that is well delivered although he had to work while his tentacles were being pupeteered around him. And Patrick Wilson plays Raoul. He did all of his own stunts while filming, and the first to sign on to the movie. His performance is a memorable highlight in this film. The list of nominees for BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR are . . .

Steve Carell – ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY
Michael Gambon – HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
Freddy Highmore – FINDING NEVERLAND
Alfred Molina – SPIDER-MAN 2
Patrick Wilson – THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

And the winning actor is . . .

Alfred Molina – SPIDER-MAN 2

Announcer: And now, please give a welcome to Our Pretty Pony, Paka! :crickets: Ahem . . . and now, Paka! :coughing: Hmm, I guess she couldn’t make it. Here’s your host to fill in!

Jack: The actresses nominated in this category played an eclectic bunch of roles – ranging from a sensitive, yet comedic, take on someone with short-term memory loss, to a raw and gripping portrayal of a woman who’s out for revenge. Perhaps the most notable is an actress who proves her incredible capability with 2 of her roles from the past year being nominated, and a relative-newcomer who wowed audiences with her beautiful voice and innocent portrayal of a young opera singer. However varied their individual characters were, all of these actresses proved to be outstanding in their respective roles. The nominees for BEST ACTRESS are . . .

Drew Barrymore – 50 FIRST DATES
Emmy Rossum – THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
Uma Thurman – KILL BILL: VOLUME 2
Kate Winslet – ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
Kate Winslet – FINDING NEVERLAND

And the winning actress is . . .

Emmy Rossum – THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

Announcer: Now, a Doris-Day-lover who can make the dark clouds go away and the sunlight come in – Disney Guru!

Disney Guru: The actor of the year award, has always gone to the best actor of the year. The definition of the best actor of the year, is the actor who tried his best in his acting, for people to enjoy his work. That is why the Best Actor Award, is always the most important of the Golden Globe Awards. There were so many great Best Actors this year, that it was hard to pick the best actor out of the Nominations, so we are letting you the Public choose who is the Best Actor of the year. The nominees for BEST ACTOR are . . .

Gerard Butler – THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
Jim Carrey – ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
Jim Caviezel – THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
Johnny Depp – FINDING NEVERLAND
Jon Heder – NAPOLEON DYNAMITE

The winning actor is . . .

Gerard Butler – THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

Announcer: Next up, the award for Best Director is presented, and then we’ll delve into the Best Movie categories!
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Here is the revised count....

Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera- 6 awards. Actress, Actor, Set Design, Make-Up, Cinematography, Costumes.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- 2 Awards. Editing, Original Screenplay.

The Incredibles- 2 Awards. Score, Fat-Guy.

Spider-Man 2- 2 Awards. Supporting Actor, Special Effects.

Finding Neverland- 1 Award. Adapted Screenplay.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- 1 Award. Special Effects.

The Passion of the Christ- 1 Award. Best Supporting Actress.

The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement- 1 Award. Song.
SofaKing381222
Anniversary Edition

Post by SofaKing381222 »

Did you choose the winners or did we vote or something?

I admit Phantom of the Opera was good, but theyve gotten so many already!!! Too many...... (please dont kill me)
We need season sets of all DCOSs and all DCOMs on DVD! And Better Cover Art!

My DVD's / My Space
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

UD loves POTO!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president