Rivers of America - Disneyland

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Rivers of America - Disneyland

Post by Tony »

I am interested in if anything is happening in the Northern section of the Rivers of America. I have seen a recent photo that 'looks' like the river has been cut-off at the end above the Burning Settlers cabin and the Indian section.. Is there renovation work being down there ?

Also, is anything replacing the Big Thunder ranch and BBQ area ? I have been told this area is only being used for special events, so this area of the park must appear 'dead' when not in use ???
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Last time I went, the burning shed was still there, but it no longer burns. Visitors can't enter the upper part of Tom Sawyer Island anymore, where the fort is. Yes, the Big Thunder Ranch is only used for private parties, and visitors aren't allowed to enter.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I never knew The Big Thunder Ranch was used for private parties.
I thought that resturant closed or something bad happen their.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

MickeyMousePal wrote:I thought that resturant closed or something bad happen their.
It was never a restaraunt - was a petting coral, where kids could pet horses, cows, sheep & goats.

BTW, I'd like to point out this VERY excellent website: http://yesterland.com/ It has descriptions and photos of all the attractions that used to be at Disneyland, but have closed.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Great link, I was actually wondering if something like this existed earlier today. I don't see the Alice In Wonderland attraction on it, but I just skimmed it... I'll look more closely later. Do they have something like this for WDW?

-Aarom
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

awallaceunc wrote:I don't see the Alice In Wonderland attraction on it, but I just skimmed it...
If you're referring to Disneyland in California, then the Alice in Wonderland Ride wouldn't be on that site - because it never closed. It, and the Mad Tea Party, are still open today, and are pretty popular.

As for a site for WDW, I haven't come across one.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Wow!! I thought it had closed. I've never been to DL in Cali, but I guess I just assumed it had closed. I knew about Mad Tea Party, but that's awesome news. :)

Another question... I have the 100 Years of Disney book and it shows what looks like the WDW dark ride-- only it's a walking tour-- of Sleeping Beauty inside the DL castle. Is this still there?

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

The inside of Sleeping Beauty castle has been closed off for a looooong time. Supposedly, its due to renovation (that's what cast members I've asked say), but I've never heard of a renovation taking that long. There's no time scheduled for it to re-open either.

This is another example of the why I feel the problems at Disneyland need to be fixed ASAP - give the park a bigger budget instead of giving needless bonuses to the members of the board at the end of the year.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I heard it was closed due to terrorist concerns after 9/11. Basically, the interior of the castle is "high" and being a symbol is a probable target, and doesn't have enough exists in the case of an emergency (or something).

I don't know if this is 100% true, but it was a rumour doing the rounds at the time.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Netty: I'm 90% sure it was closed a while before 9/11. But perhaps thats a reason for them to keep it closed (I still think it has to do with the low budget though).
ZOOMBOOM0688
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ZOOMBOOM0688 »

does anybody know what happened to the limo ride at california adventures. its been closed for a long time
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

How long has SB castle been closed?

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

ZOOMBOOM0688 wrote:does anybody know what happened to the limo ride at california adventures. its been closed for a long time
It was very unpopular ride, and if I do say so myself, it was a very poor idea. Come on, a dark ride with puppets of celebs? It's unlikely to ever open again.
awallaceunc wrote:How long has SB castle been closed?
I'm not exactly sure, but I'm thinking around 1997 or 1998.
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dizfan »

Superstar Limo will reopen on May 19, 2004 just for summer and will likely close again in Fall to make way for it's replacement. The replacement is a rumor, but it definatley will reopen.

Big Thunder Ranch will become a ranch again this summer for Guests, with animals just like it used to.

Sleeping Beauty Castle was closed in 2000 or 2001, reopened briefly, and then closed again following 9/11.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Thanks for the information Dizfan.
Can all of them be true or just rumors?
Who cares I'm going to Disneyland this weekend I hope. :D
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Do any of the behind-the-scenes tours take you inside any of the 4 Disney park castles?

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dizfan »

All of it is true with the exception of Limo re-closing in Fall to be replaced. That is a rumor.

Tokyo has a tour, but I like how each Castle has it's own thing....Tokyo Disneyland has a Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour. Disneyland Paris has something inside of its Sleeping Beauty Castle. Magic Kingdom has Cinderella's Royal Table. And Disneyland has the Sleeping Beauty Diorama thing (I hope it reopens for the 50th).
Yuki
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Yuki »

In Tokyo DisneySea there is a Black Cauldron exploration type thing. You are led through the dungeon of the Horn King. Through the journey one younger member of the group is chosen to use the magic sword and 'defeat' the Horned King.

Does anyone know if this ride exists in DisneyLand or DisneyWorld in America? :?
Homer: Marge, I'm bored
Marge: Why don't you read something?
Homer: Because I'm trying to reduce my boredom

“Who cares about what's on the disc? I think Disney Guru's concern with the cover artwork is the most important thing.”
~Luke
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Yuki wrote:Does anyone know if this ride exists in DisneyLand or DisneyWorld in America? :?
Nope. In the U.S., Disney seems to want to forget Black Cauldron ever happened.

However, they do have a Sword in the Stone attraction, where a young one is picked to pull the sword from the stone. TBC sounds like the same type of attraction.
Tangela
In The Vaults

Post by Tangela »

Jack wrote:
Yuki wrote:Does anyone know if this ride exists in DisneyLand or DisneyWorld in America? :?
Nope. In the U.S., Disney seems to want to forget Black Cauldron ever happened.

However, they do have a Sword in the Stone attraction, where a young one is picked to pull the sword from the stone. TBC sounds like the same type of attraction.
Yeah, in Disney World, at the Magic Kingdom I believe the Sword in the Stone is located near Cinderella's Golden Carrousel, I have a picture of me, pretending to be young Arthur. :D

And I've seen a little bit of The Black Cauldron attraction in my Big Disney Book, I do wish it could be found in the Magic Kingdom, but that movie is nowhere to be seen, at least The Rescuers appear in a window display in Main Street USA.

:)
Tell Chris Johnson that he's Walt Disney and he'll believe it...
-Tangela
I shall be happy if it kills me! Gee Maneese Ow!
-Disneyguru