MGM/Disney relations?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Captain Hook
Special Edition

MGM/Disney relations?

Post by Captain Hook »

Someone told me today that MGM was part of Disney. I said "NO WAY!" but then started to wonder. What is their relationship? MGM has land right next to Disneyworld in Florida, does it not? And can anyone explain how Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is related to Disney? It has all those Disney characters, the Sherman bros., and in some Disney pop song they mention "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" at Disneyland...
:o
Any help will be appreciated. :)
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Re: MGM/Disney relations?

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Captain Hook wrote:Someone told me today that MGM was part of Disney. I said "NO WAY!" but then started to wonder. What is their relationship? MGM has land right next to Disneyworld in Florida, does it not? And can anyone explain how Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is related to Disney? It has all those Disney characters, the Sherman bros., and in some Disney pop song they mention "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" at Disneyland...
:o
Any help will be appreciated. :)
No MGM/UA is not part of the Walt Disney Company! I think they have a deal to put MGM movies in MGM Studios Disney park. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is not related to Disney, the songs were written by Disney veterans Sherman Brothers also Dick Van Dike was in the movie.
Captain Hook
Special Edition

Post by Captain Hook »

Thank you! I wondered. Someone told me AGAIN today that they are the same company. I didn't think so. Oh, and the actor who plays Mr. Scrumptious is in The Story of Robin Hood as Little John.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well, United Artists has a complicated, but interesting history.

As the name would suggest United Artists was actually created in 1919 by filmstars themselves (or the Artists) who wanted to break away from the studio system of the time (each filmstar was under contract to a studio and had to make the films the studio assigned to them - personal choice didn't come into the equation).

I believe some of the artists who formed the studio were Charlie Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks. However, at that time it was not a studio as such, and therefore was not a major rival for studios like Universal or Paramount.

Instead of making films, United Artists would simply distribute and promote films made by independent producers - including films financed by their founders.

However, over time the company expanded to include some production facilities. However the company was still run with the aim of supporting films which had no distribution facilities of their own. It is undoubtably why the Disney Studios decided at some point to have their films distributed by United Artists for a period - at the time I would imagine that they offered the best return to Disney.

However by the early 1940's the company was in trouble - it had expanded too fast, buying more and more buildings to use as prodution facilities. In order to buy or construct some of these buildings they had accepted financing from Samuel Goldwyn (of MGM fame). When United Artists experienced more financial troubles Samuel Goldwyn basically bought out both the company and the production lot making it part of MGM (much to the dismay of some of the original founders).

United Artists however did manage to remain distinct from MGM for a number of years, and also negotiated some of the first co-productions between rival hollywood studios (perhaps a legacy from their 'independent' beginnings) - some of these financial arrangements being kept secret. I can find no record, but perhaps UA and Disney did co-finance some films during this time. There is no record that I can find on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang having any Disney financing, and I doubt that by 1968 when the film was made Disney would need to co-finance a film from another studio - having a wide range of successful live-action films of their own.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Captain Hook
Special Edition

Post by Captain Hook »

2099net wrote:Well, United Artists has a complicated, but interesting history.

As the name would suggest United Artists was actually created in 1919 by filmstars themselves (or the Artists) who wanted to break away from the studio system of the time (each filmstar was under contract to a studio and had to make the films the studio assigned to them - personal choice didn't come into the equation).

I believe some of the artists who formed the studio were Charlie Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks. However, at that time it was not a studio as such, and therefore was not a major rival for studios like Universal or Paramount.

Instead of making films, United Artists would simply distribute and promote films made by independent producers - including films financed by their founders.

However, over time the company expanded to include some production facilities. However the company was still run with the aim of supporting films which had no distribution facilities of their own. It is undoubtably why the Disney Studios decided at some point to have their films distributed by United Artists for a period - at the time I would imagine that they offered the best return to Disney.

However by the early 1940's the company was in trouble - it had expanded too fast, buying more and more buildings to use as prodution facilities. In order to buy or construct some of these buildings they had accepted financing from Samuel Goldwyn (of MGM fame). When United Artists experienced more financial troubles Samuel Goldwyn basically bought out both the company and the production lot making it part of MGM (much to the dismay of some of the original founders).

United Artists however did manage to remain distinct from MGM for a number of years, and also negotiated some of the first co-productions between rival hollywood studios (perhaps a legacy from their 'independent' beginnings) - some of these financial arrangements being kept secret. I can find no record, but perhaps UA and Disney did co-finance some films during this time. There is no record that I can find on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang having any Disney financing, and I doubt that by 1968 when the film was made Disney would need to co-finance a film from another studio - having a wide range of successful live-action films of their own.
Thanks for all the information 2099net! As usual, you know tons on the subject!
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

So, did they just strike up a deal outta the blue to build a theme park? Does MGM have a hand in running that park? Do they share in the profits? Is Disney licensed to create new attractions based on MGM films, since it is the MGM theme park, after all. Maybe a show or ride for, say, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? But then there's Star Wars... maybe it should be Disney-MGM-BuenaVista-LucasfilmLtd. Studios.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

MGM part of Disney

Post by Disney Guru »

When MGM/UNITED ARTSITS made Chitty Chitty Bang Bang they asked Walt to loan them Dick Van Dyke for the role! Walt agreeded to it as long as they would let the Sherman Brothers do the music for the movie!
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Chernabog
Special Edition

Re: MGM part of Disney

Post by Chernabog »

Disney Guru wrote:When MGM/UNITED ARTSITS made Chitty Chitty Bang Bang they asked Walt to loan them Dick Van Dyke for the role! Walt agreeded to it as long as they would let the Sherman Brothers do the music for the movie!

:twisted:
Where do you get that info?
wwwjim
Gold Classic Collection

disney mgm

Post by wwwjim »

Hasn't the name of the park changed from Disney-MGM Studios to Disney Studios back to Disney-MGM Studios a few times?

I distinctly remember going to the studios about three years ago and seeing the MGM missing from the entryway arch -- the next time I returned the MGM letters had been re-added...
Jim
Disney Fan in Maryland
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I hear it called Disney-Studios a lot, but the Disney site still called it Disney-MGM last I checked, and the Magical Gatherings DVD refers to it as that... and yeah, when I was there, MGM was still on the entry way.

DisneyGuru, it's not as if Walt owned Dick van Dyke... were they under contract or something?

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

The theme park is still called the Disney/MGM Studios. Disney does NOT have the rights to use the MGM name on videos, so if you order one of those travel planning DVDs they simply refer to it as the Disney Studios.

I don't think that MGM really has anything to do with the park except for the use of thier name. The only attraction there I can think of that uses MGM movies and even mentions them is the Great Movie Ride. I think they are really missing out and should exploit the relationship a bit more. For example, a James Bond themed ride would be a very welcome addition to the park.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Yeah, you're right... it doesn't say that on the DVD, dunno why I was thinking it did.

I really think the park would benefit from making use of its MGM name. Why was MGM ever included in the park if they didn't do antyhing with them?

Also, Wizard of Oz starts off with the MGM logo, and is a part of the Great Movie Ride at the park, but it's distributed by Warner Brothers, so what's the deal with that?

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
wizzer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wizzer »

i just opened my mickey mouse in living color tin and there is a lithograph inside that says "a united artists picture" it made me think of this thread. maybe i missed something.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Bumping this b/c I'm sure someone knows the answer to my question :)... what's the deal with Wizard of Oz? Is it MGM or WB?

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

It's Warner Bros. It was bought by Warner Bros, along with all the MGM films pre-a certain date (1986?)*.

It is interesting to note that the terms of this deal was that the MGM opening logo would never be removed or replaced from the prints.

* Some pre-a certain date (which is probably 1986) MGM films are owned by Turner due to an earlier sale. But I think Turner is basically a Time Warner subsidiary anyway.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

wizzer wrote:i just opened my mickey mouse in living color tin and there is a lithograph inside that says "a united artists picture" it made me think of this thread. maybe i missed something.
Disney had their films distributed by United Artist for a period of time. See my earlier post for the origins of United Artists. Presumably Disney felt happier having United Artists distribute his films than a major competing studio at the time.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

there's a really good article at www.savedisney.com that talks about how certain studios change from what they were half a century ago. You should read it. It's very touching and it's a desperate cry to save disney from what has happened to these major studios in the past
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Walt and DIck Van Dyke

Post by Disney Guru »

I didn't mean that Walt Disney owned DIck Van Dyke I meant that they had him on a contract! And that is true! Disney loaned him to MGM/United Artists but they said that they wanted to have the Sherman Brothers doing the music for the movie or no dice! This is What I heard!
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Didn't Warner Bros. have a video distribution deal with MGM for a while? I seem to remember that all of the James Bond DVD's where pulled from the shelves and re-released with nothing different, but at a higher price and that the reason was because MGM got their home video rights back. Anybody know more?