Frozen Attraction?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Frozen Attraction?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I can't imagine that the parks won't have a special Frozen-something in the winter... I'm sure the film's presence in the parks will stick around for a very long time!

Oaken's Trading Post Ice Skating
http://laughingplace.com/w/news/2014/07 ... announced/

Frozen Summer Fun Premium Package
http://laughingplace.com/w/news/2014/07 ... xperience/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Doesn't look extremely thrilling have to say …. just looks like the Frozen characters plonked over some generic scenarios really. I wonder when a ride / experience will be announced ?
blackcauldron85

http://www.mouseplanet.com/10715/Around ... a_and_Elsa
So we've gone around the World—Walt Disney World—in search of Frozen. Who knows, maybe Sven will be showing up at Disney's Animal Kingdom? Maybe a new children's play area featuring Olaf at Blizzard Beach? And what about a change in Maelstrom at Norway? We'll save that rumor for another day. Meanwhile, there are lots of different ways to enjoy Frozen this summer.
I've never been to Blizzard Beach, but I mean, it makes perfect sense to have Olaf there! Summer year-round!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

From FB:
The Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia

The international program Cast Members at the Norway Pavilion have been informed that attractions and merchandise positions at the pavilion will not exist beyond the end of September. CM's with contracts in October and beyond are being offered transfers and training in Food/Beverage. Recruitment for Fall/Winter attractions/merchandise has been canceled.
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I can't imagine that the parks won't have a special Frozen-something in the winter... I'm sure the film's presence in the parks will stick around for a very long time!

Oaken's Trading Post Ice Skating
http://laughingplace.com/w/news/2014/07 ... announced/

Frozen Summer Fun Premium Package
http://laughingplace.com/w/news/2014/07 ... xperience/
Did they extend Frozen Summer fun as I'm reading on WDW website that it's on until September 28.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Boo. Hiss. Boo.
disneyphilip
Special Edition

Post by disneyphilip »

Avaitor wrote:Yay! Yay! Yay!
There. It was my pleasure to correct it for you. :)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I don't see the need to celebrate the retiring of a great original for another cheap movie-based replacement.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

TBH, Malestorm isn't a good ride. Its pace is sloppy and the only educational thing about it is the movie which everyone skips. I can see that trolls and vikings are Norwegian culture, but they're totally unnecessary if this ride is supposed to tell us about Norweigan history. And it doesn't. The trolls are bad filler. It's only an excuse for Mini-Splash Mountain. I rather want a Frozen ride to take over this, instead of a actual well-structured, entertaining ride in Fantasyland like Winnie the pooh or Peter Pan's Flight.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

So this is going to be the re-theme that we thought it was going to be then ?

Is there a lot of nostalgia for the ride ? As you say, is it the same vein as re-themeing Peter Pan's Flight, or is it not on that same level ?
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Atlantica wrote:So this is going to be the re-theme that we thought it was going to be then ?

Is there a lot of nostalgia for the ride ? As you say, is it the same vein as re-themeing Peter Pan's Flight, or is it not on that same level ?
Well, not on that level, but the reason that I and many others like the Maelstrom come from the fact that it reminds us of classic Epcot, before the park continually came just another theme park, albeit with some really good restaurants. It isn't very informative I'll admit, but the ride makes me feel like I'm in Norway, and I love the trolls, myself. More than the ones in Frozen anyway, ha.

I'm all for a Frozen ride, but it just doesn't seem like a good fit for Epcot. Hollywood Studios seems like a better fit for one, especially after the big Frozen summer fun.
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Avaitor wrote:
Atlantica wrote:So this is going to be the re-theme that we thought it was going to be then ?

Well, not on that level, but the reason that I and many others like the Maelstrom come from the fact that it reminds us of classic Epcot, before the park continually came just another theme park, albeit with some really good restaurants. It isn't very informative I'll admit, but the ride makes me feel like I'm in Norway, and I love the trolls, myself. More than the ones in Frozen anyway, ha.

I'm all for a Frozen ride, but it just doesn't seem like a good fit for Epcot. Hollywood Studios seems like a better fit for one, especially after the big Frozen summer fun.
I love the summer fun and I even got a Take-Along Olaf.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Avaitor wrote:

Ah I see, thank you for explaining. I'm not sure of the American parks, having never been to one, but seems like it should be a ride in Fantasyland more than anything else ?
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Atlantica wrote:
Avaitor wrote: Well, not on that level, but the reason that I and many others like the Maelstrom come from the fact that it reminds us of classic Epcot, before the park continually came just another theme park, albeit with some really good restaurants. It isn't very informative I'll admit, but the ride makes me feel like I'm in Norway, and I love the trolls, myself. More than the ones in Frozen anyway, ha.

Ah I see, thank you for explaining. I'm not sure of the American parks, having never been to one, but seems like it should be a ride in Fantasyland more than anything else ?
Ideally yes, but Fantasyland just finished their big expansion, so it would make sense for Disney to give the place some rest, especially since Magic Kingdom is by far their most successful park.
blackcauldron85

I think Disney is obviously taking advantage of Arendelle having been inspired by Norway. Who knows if they were thinking of closing Maelstrom prior to Frozen's success, but no other Disney movie would make sense having a ride in Norway. I think since Maelstrom itself is loosely educational, it's not the most harmful swap-out of a ride at Epcot. And like I read I think in the comments section of an article, did people complain about the Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico being un-educational?
blackcauldron85

This article has a little new info on the transformation from Maelstrom to Frozen:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5835170? ... lp00000592

Also info on Anna & Elsa's Boutique at DL's Downtown Disney:
http://laughingplace.com/w/news/2014/09 ... october-6/
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Thank god Escapy, Duster, PrincePhillipfan, and I all went together and rode it in Aug one last time. Nice to see it for one last time!
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

While a part of me will be sad to see this classic attraction closed, I think it is about time Maelstorm gets replaced. The movie was outdated, and the fact that the theater doors remained open at all times, was not a good sign.