Frozen Attraction?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Linden
Special Edition

Re: Frozen Attraction?

Post by Linden »

The internet is alive with rumours about Maelstrom getting turned into a Frozen attraction. It looks like this one might be happening...
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

If it happens, I hope they only just add one or two scenes with animatronics of the characters, and mostly keep the ride the way it is.I'd like to say keep it as authentic to Norwegian culture as you can, but there are trolls. :P

Although honestly, if they should add anything to the ride, instead of Anna and Elsa, U'd say that they should put Thor and Loki in, since Norse mythology is considerably more important to Norwegian culture than The Snow Queen, but I know how some Disney purists feel about Marvel additions. But I'd prefer no character additions at all, since I'm the kind of Disney purist who really feels that they've become too over-reliant on using their characters for attractions instead of making fresh, unique ones.

Oh, and one other thing that I've been hearing about is that Epcot will turn their Soarin' into Soarin' Over Florida, which sounds logical, but I'm not surprised that it took them so long to decide on it. Florida just isn't as nice looking as California is.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

^When I was working over there, there were rumours about Soarin' being turned into Soarin' Over the World or something like that. Either one would make so much more sense than Soarin' Over California. I was a little pissed off when I found out that DCA's signature (beautiful) ride was duplicated in Epcot, in a venue that didn't give it the respect it deserves, no less. Actually, I'm still pissed off about that. Epcot deserves more, and Soarin' Over California deserves more.

I'm sure Florida has a lot of beautiful things to see. There are the Keys, and Everglades, and probably a completely different landscape in the north. Can any Floridians help me out with this? I obviously know nothing about Florida's natural beauty. :wink:

I agree that Disney is relying more on film inspired attractions more than ever. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Films are the heart of Disney. But Epcot's an odd bird. It's like it shouldn't have too much Disney, because that would be a disrespect to those countries (or in Future World, concepts). I feel the same way about Adventures by Disney and Disney cruises to other countries. Cultural appropriation is the only thing I can think of to describe it right now.

Wow, I hope all this made sense. I'm exhausted today. :zzz:
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Linden wrote: I'm sure Florida has a lot of beautiful things to see. There are the Keys, and Everglades, and probably a completely different landscape in the north. Can any Floridians help me out with this? I obviously know nothing about Florida's natural beauty. :wink:
There are the Key and Everglades, yeah. St. Augustine is pretty, we have some nice orange groves, and of course, WDW Is an obvious place to look at. But I think California is a better experience entirely.
Linden wrote: I agree that Disney is relying more on film inspired attractions more than ever. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Films are the heart of Disney. But Epcot's an odd bird. It's like it shouldn't have too much Disney, because that would be a disrespect to those countries (or in Future World, concepts). I feel the same way about Adventures by Disney and Disney cruises to other countries. Cultural appropriation is the only thing I can think of to describe it right now.
I think some representation of the films is fine at Epcot. The Finding Nemo section is a good place there, having a popular ride, show and restaurant, as well as a nice aquarium. The Gran Fiesta Tour also succeeds at showing the majesty of Mexico even with the Three Caballeros around. And of course, the character meet and greets at the World Pavilion are popular for the kids, compared to the rest of the place, which is more themed to adults.

I get why they would consider a Frozen addition to Norway beyond the meet and greets. It's Disney's big thing right now, and this seems like a logical place to showcase the movie. But I'd rather the ride stay the way it is, and have them find others places to make attractions for the movie.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I just don't think there is enough to do in Frozen to make it into a dark ride.

Like, The Little Mermaid could have been a beyond epic dark ride …. but it kind of got diluted into what has been created in both parks. The original version from the Platinum DVD was epic and scary even. The one we have ? Not so much. That isn't a slate of the ride, as it looks magical and extremely beautiful; but if Mermaid can't be translated into an epic dark ride, I'm not sure Frozen can.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I haven't gone on the Little Mermaid ride yet, but from what I can tell, it doesn't really do much beyond telling the story through the ride. Disney's best dark rides based off of their movies take the stories we know but focus on a unique experience for the attraction- Snow White's Scary Adventures built on the aspects of the film inspired by classic horror, making the ride live up to its title; Peter Pan goes for a dreamlike experience; Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a rollicking, unorthodox experience akin to the character himself; Alice in Wonderland focuses on the story's iconic use of surrealism.

What does Voyage of the Little Mermaid do that's similar to any of these? And what do you think Frozen could do to make a similar experience be worth the ride?
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Avaitor wrote:I haven't gone on the Little Mermaid ride yet, but from what I can tell, it doesn't really do much beyond telling the story through the ride. Disney's best dark rides based off of their movies take the stories we know but focus on a unique experience for the attraction- Snow White's Scary Adventures built on the aspects of the film inspired by classic horror, making the ride live up to its title; Peter Pan goes for a dreamlike experience; Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a rollicking, unorthodox experience akin to the character himself; Alice in Wonderland focuses on the story's iconic use of surrealism.

What does Voyage of the Little Mermaid do that's similar to any of these?
One could argue that TLM focuses on the music from the story. Nearly every scene in the ride deals with one of the movie's songs, which at the time it was released was one of the things most noted by the general public.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Yes, that's true actually; it was billed everywhere as a 'musical journey through the voyage of the Little Mermaid'…..I really think you're right there, thats the angle that was picked for it.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

RyGuy wrote:
Avaitor wrote:I haven't gone on the Little Mermaid ride yet, but from what I can tell, it doesn't really do much beyond telling the story through the ride. Disney's best dark rides based off of their movies take the stories we know but focus on a unique experience for the attraction- Snow White's Scary Adventures built on the aspects of the film inspired by classic horror, making the ride live up to its title; Peter Pan goes for a dreamlike experience; Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a rollicking, unorthodox experience akin to the character himself; Alice in Wonderland focuses on the story's iconic use of surrealism.

What does Voyage of the Little Mermaid do that's similar to any of these?
One could argue that TLM focuses on the music from the story. Nearly every scene in the ride deals with one of the movie's songs, which at the time it was released was one of the things most noted by the general public.
Oh, I see. That's not a bad angle, but it doesn't seem like the ride is resonating with people.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Doesn't it? I've heard people really enjoy it, especially the Florida version queuing in the grounds of Eric's castle...
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Atlantica wrote:Doesn't it? I've heard people really enjoy it, especially the Florida version queuing in the grounds of Eric's castle...
Yes, it is a great ride. The only thing missing is a good climax scene for Ursula. Presently there's only a small carboard cutout showing her demise at the end of the ride, and it gives you the illusion of seeing it from afar. TLM ride was closed earlier this year for an extended refurbishment and rumors were heavy that the ride would get an awesome Ursula death scene. However, when it reopened with a lot of overall improvements done, this was not one of them. The cutout remains, at least for the timebeing.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

May I ask what improvements / changes were made?

I guess (with regards to not having a huge scary climax) they were trying to avoid the situation they had with Snow White when it originally opened?
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Atlantica wrote:May I ask what improvements / changes were made?

I guess (with regards to not having a huge scary climax) they were trying to avoid the situation they had with Snow White when it originally opened?
First, let me clarify that I was referring to DCA's version, not the WDW one.

I haven't ridden TLM ride there since before the improvements. The last time I was at Disney's California Adventure park, TLM ride was still closed for the ongoing refurbishment. But I did read about the improvements when it finally reopened, and apparently they did a lot of repainting and relighting. Also they did improvements on the animated projections on some parts of the ride, and added some to parts that didn't have them before.

You can read about it here (though you need to scroll down a bit):
http://micechat.com/66915-disneyland-li ... -makeover/

And here:
http://micechat.com/67590-disney-califo ... venture-4/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Thank you for posting that ! Interesting to read; especially how they totally changed the 'Under The Sea' section. Interesting how one of the articles implied it was due to costing that the Ursula scene wasn't done this time.

Randomly, I've always wanted to know why they changed Ariel's hair ? It was up and swirly originally ?
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Atlantica wrote:Thank you for posting that ! Interesting to read; especially how they totally changed the 'Under The Sea' section. Interesting how one of the articles implied it was due to costing that the Ursula scene wasn't done this time.

Randomly, I've always wanted to know why they changed Ariel's hair ? It was up and swirly originally ?
You mean on the ride? If you're referring to that, yes, it wasn't even hair. It was a rubber sculpture that moved and swirled a bit. I think some of those remain for the underwater scenes, but they changed it to real dry hair for the overland scenes (Kiss the Girl and the wedding/finale).
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

No, I mean why did they swap her hair from the swirly up do she had in the iconic fish-swirling hair scene from the film, to the 'He loves me / he loves me not' hair scene with the flower.
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Atlantica wrote:No, I mean why did they swap her hair from the swirly up do she had in the iconic fish-swirling hair scene from the film, to the 'He loves me / he loves me not' hair scene with the flower.
That IDK. Good question though. We need to look into that. :)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Just read this on the Disney Wiki page ….

Since the attraction opened in California, several modifications took place. These included changing the projection screen scenes from CGI to hand-drawn animated segments. The hair for the Ariel animatronic in the Under the Sea sequence was also redone after various criticisms compared it to "an ice cream swirl" or "Dole Whip hair" and instead her hair is down and swaying in the current.

Could explain it ?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Major Frozen Expansion Announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios
http://www.disneydining.com/major-froze ... d-studios/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

If there is this much Frozen stuff around in summer, what the heck will Disney Land / World be like in winter ..... ?!

Actually I've just remembered, aren't the girls supposed to be crowned in the winter, around November time?