Disney to build 'Avatar' Attraction in Theme Parks

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Prince Charming 12
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Charming 12 »

My first reaction was not unlike many of the other posters: is this a good fit into the Disney brand? Initially, I do not think so. Granted very little actual info has been released yet so we are left to speculate, but from some of the estimated investments that I have read, between $200 - $500M, that is a serious commitment of financial resources to this project!

This might be a knee jerk reaction to the Universal purchase of the HP rights, but this has historically not been a Disney strategy. Changing your long standing brand is difficult to accomplish. Disney markets itself to a different demographic crowd than Universal and trying to change that image will be difficult. But it is very early on in this project's life cycle so let's keep an open mind in anticipation of future announcements.
Remember the Magic!
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

jpanimation wrote:I think what has Disney worried is that Islands of Adventure had their attendance increase 3x during their first year of Potter
The increase in attendence over the previous year for IoA was a bit over 30% according to TEA, not "3x", but your point is still vaild. Especially when most WDW parks saw an 1-1.5% decrease during the same time period.
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

James Cameron Explores Disney’s Animal Kingdom as Development of First AVATAR-Themed Land Continues
originally posted on October 18th, 2011 by DisneyParks Blog
As work continues to bring the epic fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Disney Parks, filmmaker James Cameron and his Lightstorm Entertainment producing partner Jon Landau explored Disney’s Animal Kingdom yesterday with Tom Staggs, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, and Imagineer Joe Rohde.

“Getting the chance to roll up my sleeves and explore Disney’s Animal Kingdom from the inside out was a phenomenal experience,” said James Cameron. “As I walked through the park, I kept imagining Pandora coming to life all around me and found my mind racing with all the possibilities of what we will be able to create in the years ahead. Disney’s Animal Kingdom is truly a remarkable place and I can’t think of a better home for our first AVATAR experience.”
[For rest of the article go to DisneyParks Blog.]
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

A lot of rumours have sprung up on the internet over the past few days that Disney's plans to build an Avatar-themed land at Animal Kingdom are dead in the water. Of course, these are rumours and should be taken as such, but on the forum I frequent at wdwmagic.com, some information has come from very reliable sources who have proven in the past to have very close links to the inner workings of the Walt Disney Company and WDW and have offered news of upcoming plans before they have been officially announced by WDW. Those who have offered this information have said to not expect an official announcement of the land's cancellation but that Disney will probably just let the plans fade into obscurity without fanfare. The rumours point to a disagreement between Disney and James Cameron over budgetary matters as well as Disney's creative plans for the land; I had always had my doubts that the creative minds at WDW would be able to work with such a demanding perfectionist as Cameron. Disney have also reportedly taken notice of the less than enthusiastic reaction to the Avatar announcement, not just from WDW fans but from the general public. While it would be presumptious and premature to believe these rumours just yet, there does seem to be some weight to them and it will be interesting to see how things unfold. Personally, I would be very, very happy to see Avatar slide into oblivion at Disney and would much rather Tom Staggs and John Lasseter use the money that would have been spent on the land on other areas: a different land for AK (Beastly Kingdom, South America, Australia), an expansion of Pixar Place at DHS, Future World or Journey Into Imagination! at Epcot.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Please be dead. I will pay Disney double the price of admission for it not to be there the next time I'm there.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Avatar on Hold? Tomorrowland Rising?
http://thedisneyblog.com/2012/03/13/ava ... nd-rising/

Disney moving ahead with ‘Avatar’ theme-park plans: What rides would you want to see?
http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/03/13/disne ... ark-plans/
(via laughingplace.com)
blackcauldron85

Yes, it's still on:

Imagineer Joe Rohde Talks about Avatar and Disney's Animal Kingdom
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... ievements/
(via laughingplace.com)
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

OH, COME ON!!!!! :x
blackcauldron85

'Avatar 2' Delayed Until at Least 2015, Says Jon Landau
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... tal-308743
(via laughingplace.com)
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

From http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_a ... htm#Avatar:

(8/10/12) The latest buzz from the Rhinos is that the Festival of the Lion King show is expected to close in January to make way for Avatar. The long term plan is to move to into a new theater somewhere, but it sounds like the show will close down complete long before this happens.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Now I REALLY hate whoever decided on putting Avatar in the Animal Kingdom! :(
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyJedi wrote:Now I REALLY hate whoever decided on putting Avatar in the Animal Kingdom! :(
If I were them, I would put in a Pride Rock, instead of Avatar Land because it fits in the theme of ANIMAL Kiingdom. Plus, LION KING is Disney!
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

Oh, come on!! Why do they have to close the Lion King!? :x

The idea is neat and all, but this is ridiculous! Get rid of Nemo! :x
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

The Lion King is a great show and I agree with MOVING it somewhere else. I like the Pride Rock idea.

I wouldn't get rid of Finding Nemo the musical. Another great show!

Avatar is going to take up a lot of space and with James Cameron's involvement, will be an amazing attraction. Animal Kingdom needs something amazing to put it over the top and I think this will work nicely.

To make it fit a little more properly, adding more scifi or mythical attractions would help. It would be ressurecting the Beastly Kingdom idea.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

......Why Avatar though ??

Makes no sense to me. Yes there is (at a push) Star Tours, but this too ? And Marvel is popping up everywhere too which is annoying. To me that is, I know that isnt the case for most people.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

So Avatarland/Pandora is going to be just outside Camp Minnie-Mickey? Or is it going to take over Camp Minnie-Mickey. Because, there is room behind Camp Minnie-Mickey, if they were to move the FoLK training area.]

I still really hate the idea of Avatarland anywhere on Disney property, but DAK is especially close to my heart. While I was there, one of my co-workers (who was Australian) suggested that DAK should have a section for Australia. That makes much more sense to me, since Australia has incredibly unique animals and is not represented at all in Epcot. (DAK tends to represent continents/regions underrepresented in Epcot, like Africa, India, Nepal, and equatorial islands). They could incorporate The Rescuers Down Under too.

If only Jurassic Park weren't Universal, I'd take that over Avatar any day. Especially if it meant replacing Dinoland U.S.A. :P
JEANYLASER
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JEANYLASER »

I'm bit confused! I thought that Avatarland is cancelled or this is another rumor!
JEANY SANCHEZ
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

As far as we know, it's still in the works. When I was working at Animal Kingdom several months ago, all the employees were told that the park would be adding a land dedicated to Avatar. It was in official newspapers and widely reported. So, for sure, it's not a rumour. No one ever said otherwise, but that doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't stopped production. I just did a quick search, and it looks like there were rumours in September that Avatar Land was put on hold, but in October possible plans were leaked and some sort of agreement might have been reached between Imagineers and James Cameron. But no one really knows the current status.

Personally, I hope James Cameron and Disney don't get along and James Cameron will scrap the idea altogether.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

This whole Avatar Land fiasco is confusing the hell out of me. A lot of insiders believe that the project might never make it to reality because even if apparently agreements have been made, there are still many issues with it. Yet Disney insists that the project is a go. It is confusing a lot of people. But my theory is that if Disney DOES go with the project, they are likely to announce SOMETHING at next year's D23 expo. The only thing we have so far was the original announcement, a picture of James Cameron roaming the area, a picture of the supposed model and that's it. When New Fantasyland was confirmed, they had really solid plans along with artwork and some models. Even if a good chunk of that plan was scrapped, we still had an idea of what to expect. With Avatar Land, mum's the word. It's strange and confusing. Note that this is supposed to be finished by the release of the second movie, and again, no progress.
ImageImageImageImage

Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Your point about New Fantasyland was good. Avatarland is being handled MUCH differently. That gives me more hope that it will never come to fruition. Why can't they just put Australia or Beastly Kingdom in and be done with it? :roll: