The "Pirates" movies were good, but...

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
chapnearwdw

The "Pirates" movies were good, but...

Post by chapnearwdw »

WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE RIDES AT THE PARKS?!?!?!

:shock:

And they didn't even do a good job of updating them. And why did they have to go and get rid of the parrot and the talking crossbones? WHY?!?!?!

:cry:
Warning: This could be you after working @ Disney 4 years...
+ Ron -aka- chapnearwdw ;)
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

The changes differ from park to park. WDW still has the parrot and skull and crossbones. I'm not upset about the changes. I thought they were well done. I think I've been burned so many times by ride rehabs (WDW's Tiki Room comes to mind), but I really like the additions to Pirates.
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

goofystitch wrote:The changes differ from park to park. WDW still has the parrot and skull and crossbones. I'm not upset about the changes. I thought they were well done. I think I've been burned so many times by ride rehabs (WDW's Tiki Room comes to mind), but I really like the additions to Pirates.
I personally like the rehab for Tiki Room! :P If not for the rehab, a group of my friends and I never would have gotten rider switch passes for free! (But that's another story)

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I don't hate the new Tiki Room, but I was a big fan of the old one and something about Gilbert Godfried interrupting the first audio animatronic show in history bothers me. lol. At least the original is still the same.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

Because Gilbert Godfried has an extremely annoying voice, perhaps?
That's hot.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Prudence wrote:Because Gilbert Godfried has an extremely annoying voice, perhaps?
That may be true, but without him we wouldn't have the same great Iago.
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
crunkcourt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by crunkcourt »

I can definately say that I am not a fan of the new Tiki Room; however, most of the additions to the Pirates ride in WDW are very well done in my opinion. The additions of Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow are amazing, and really add to the ride, especially the last scene with all of the treasure. However, I think that the first additions where you ride through the projection of Davy Jones could have been done so much better. I would love to see the additions to the one in Disneyland, even if I can't remember the original.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

The Davy Jones thing is one of my favorite additions. I really like watching the people who think it's a waterfall and they duck and try to not get wet. lol.
crunkcourt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by crunkcourt »

I guess I just see so much more potential with a Davy Jones addition. Like perhaps a whole scene with him fighting Sparrow, or something along those lines. When I go back down I'll try to look at it again without expecting anything more and let you know what I think.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I really like the Davy Jones addition too, though I do think it's a little better in Disneyland, despite being essentially the same effect. A DJ animatronic would be awesome too, though.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

I hate the Davy Jones scene at Disneyland. I always have to close my eyes when we go through..... the smoke burns my eyes!!!! :x :lol:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

I haven't seen new pirates yet(hopefully this summer).

But the Tiki, I don't see what's all the fuss about. It really basically the same but with Zazu and Iago adding to the original.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

why do people always have to be tripping with the tiki birds, flowers, and gods. i'm actually one of the few people who likes it along with the theme song of small world.

haven't seen the new pirates since that came after the 50th and that was when i was there last.
DisneyFanatic
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The "Pirates" movies were good, but...

Post by DisneyFanatic »

chapnearwdw wrote:WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE RIDES AT THE PARKS?!?!?!:cry:
I KNOW!!!! I had a rant about this in another topic but I complained about it and went off on how they better not change Autopia to Cars or change the Jungle Cruise to match the future movie...but yeah...it is lame now it is not even the same ride to me, and now I avoid going on it and have only gone on it twice.

I understand that they want to update it for future generations and they want to cash in on the pirates fad and make the ride more popular, etc, etc. but WHY do they have to mess with the classics??? I like the original classic stuff that I grew up with... :(
Yeah Disney!!!
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

DisneyFanatic wrote:WHY do they have to mess with the classics??? I like the original classic stuff that I grew up with... :(
I feel like this is going to be another Disney Sequels rant thread...yay...but I can't help but agree with you a little.

Although I do like the changes and feel they were well done and integrated well into the existing ride, I'm just a little irked that the additions made the ride focus on the characters from the movie. It would've been fine if they just added the characters to be like, "Hey, you all liked the movie, here's Jack Sparrow watching the mayor get dunked." Instead, they made it as if it was a ride based on the movie rather than adding movie characters to the ride the movie was based on. It should've been like the Hall of Presidents where they just add a new figure as time goes on. The focus of that attraction never changes, so why should Pirates?

I guess we shouldn't complain though. It could've been worse, like tearing down Tomorrowland to make High School Musical Land since it's pretty certain that High School Musical will most definitely be all over the Disney future...yay...
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Kram Nebuer wrote:
I guess we shouldn't complain though. It could've been worse, like tearing down Tomorrowland to make High School Musical Land since it's pretty certain that High School Musical will most definitely be all over the Disney future...yay...
If they did anything for HS musical it would of gone in MGM than Magic Kingdom/disneyland.
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dizfan »

Super Aurora wrote: But the Tiki, I don't see what's all the fuss about. It really basically the same but with Zazu and Iago adding to the original.
MUCH more was changed than just adding those two characters. I don't mind it much in Florida, but I would never want this kind of update done to Walt's original Tiki Room in Disneyland.

Tokyo Disneyland's Tiki Room - Get The Fever was pretty enjoyable. That's a good example of updating an attraction.
Touchstone84

Post by Touchstone84 »

Walt Disney himself was a shameless promotor for his films in the parks, so why should any future regimes be kept from doing the same?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

dizfan wrote:
MUCH more was changed than just adding those two characters. I don't mind it much in Florida, but I would never want this kind of update done to Walt's original Tiki Room in Disneyland.
Been awhile since I been there but i remember they kept the tiki gods songs that happens in the end and the famous tiki tiki song. what else was change. most iremember that was change was just the dialoge exchnges between the birds since iago and Zazu comes in.
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dizfan »

It's only the original song for about a minute, then Iago comes in and the rest is a very different show.