What's New at Walt Disney World?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

pinkrenata wrote:Here's the best link I've found. It doesn't give much away:

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2011/05/d ... -serenade/

I like the fact that they've kept the original in Disneyland, but I really liked Under New Management.
Thanks :) Yeah, it sounds neat. I grew up with the newer one, but I was scared of it when I was a kid. :D
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

I read about it on
Disney Parks Hub fan page on Facebook. ;)
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

From WDWNewsToday:

To publicize the return of the Enchanted Tiki Room to the Magic Kingdom in August, Disney has released a photo and a rather funny blurb to go with it:

SPREADING WINGS: The “new management” has been let go and the future of the Adventureland landmark is in the wings and wit of José, Fritz, Michael and Pierre – four crooning parrot hosts who ushered in sophisticated Audio-Animatronics technology at California’s Disneyland in 1963 at The Enchanted Tiki Room.

----------

so...I'm expecting it to be a lot like the original but maybe with a few differences since they said it will be reminiscent earlier on?
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

From WDWNewsToday:

The firehouse is closed, rumors say it will either be re-purposed for meet and greets or a Magic Kingdom “quest center” of some kind… more on that later…

Not much going on at the old skyway right now....

DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

You know, I heard that they decided to end the 'Under New Management' thing with the Tiki Room when Iago got so mad that he literally burst into flames.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

It's ironic that after so many years of people hating the "New Management" show, especially Iago, that he would burst into flames and finally help bring the original show back. I didn't hate the show at all but it is kind of poetic, especially when you consider one of Iago's last lines was "Smoking!"
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

According to various forums, Disney have begun testing the pre-show and fans of the original incarnation of the attraction might be pleased to know that it looks as though the original pre-show will be returning. It's obviously unofficial at the moment but the attraction is due to reopen in two weeks and a soft opening could be imminent.

Also, it looks like Test Track in Epcot will be going down in January for an extensive refurb, possibly up to six months. This has been rumoured for a while now but it appears that cast members at the park have now been told by management that the refurb will happen, though not whether the ride will be rethemed or drastically changed in any way. I love Test Track but I do think that it is in need of some work.
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

From WDWNews Today:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The Sunshine Pavilion, featuring a show variously known as “Tropical Serenade” and “The Enchanted Tiki Birds,” debuted on Oct. 1, 1971, in Magic Kingdom. In 1998, following substantial refurbishment, it re-launched as The Enchanted Tiki Room-Under New Management, with two famous Disney birds – Iago from Aladdin and Zazu from The Lion King – taking control and trying to spruce up the show.

Now the “new management” has been let go and the future of the Adventureland landmark is in the wings and wit of José, Fritz, Michael and Pierre – four crooning parrot hosts who have been entertaining guests at California’s Disneyland since 1963 in The Enchanted Tiki Room. Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room, as the Magic Kingdom attraction now will be called, is being prepared for the premiere (tentatively on Aug. 15, 2011) of a show that will pay tribute to the Disneyland original – notable in theme park history for ushering in sophisticated Audio-Animatronics technology.

Prior to 1963, Walt Disney’s creative team had produced movable figures, but none had the sophistication of the bird-brained cast of the Tiki Room. José, Fritz, Michael and Pierre produce movements when solenoid coils hidden inside receive signals recorded onto magnetic tape and are regarded as the first “true” Audio-Animatronics figures.

They introduce a musical presentation by more than 200 birds, flowers and tikis. Even the audience gets into the act, joining in during the musical ditty “Let’s All Sing Like the Birdies Sing.”

While the show is steeped in tradition and maintains the original intent created by Walt Disney and his original team of Imagineers, Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room will feature the latest in technology – a state of the art show-control system, remastered audio, and a new versatile and energy efficient lighting system.

The attraction has shows throughout Magic Kingdom operating hours.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

So it will be the classic show with updated effects and sound? Fun. I sort of liked UNM (Don Rickles/Phil Hartman pre show was great) but the 90's music HAD to go. Not matter what Iago said Conga and the like never belonged in the tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room. :P

-Skyler
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

been awhile since i've been in the tiki birds enchantment. I do remember the queue for it in WDW back in late 80's/early 90's being some tiki god under waterfall. wonder if that's still there.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

A look inside Tinkerbell's Magical Nook

Looks very good I think, here's some pics of Tiki Room

All pics from WDWNewsToday
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Check it out, photo report from WDWNewsToday on the soft opening of The Enchanted Tiki Room, lots of photos looks great, it's the most crowded I've ever seen it lol!

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/7664

-Offenbach was once again left on the cutting room floor.
-The enchanted fountain is not mentioned, and in its place is a very light smoke effect that shoots up to retrieve the bird mobile. It also shoots out smoke when the Tiki Gods are angered
-Let’s All Sing Like the Birdies Sing is chopped quite a bit and they no longer do the sing along at the end. It just abruptly stops.
-It seems like any song that previously had multiple verses is missing at least one verse each.
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

Thanks for the link, WonderlandFever. According to the various YouTube vids I've seen, most of the songs have indeed been edited.

"In The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room" is missing the last verse (about the "lady's hat") but on the bright side, the current Disneyland version is missing this verse, as well.

"Barcarolle" by Offenbach is completely missing, as it is in the current DL version.

The saddest cut for me is "Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing" which trims approximately the final 1:30, including the sing-along and whistling section, which are intact at DL.

"Hawaiian War Chant" trims about 25 seconds from the end of the first verse (the first lines sung by the male vocals after the female vocals begin the song). This alters the melody of the first verse, but luckily this lost melodic line is repeated in the second verse.

The second, more rhythmic part of "Hawaiian War Chant" appears to be intact, as does "Aloha To You" and the "Heigh Ho" exit song.

In all, the show has been shortened by approximately 2 minutes compared to the current Disneyland version (which itself is basically the full show minus Offenbach and a few small trims).

While I would have preferred the WDW version to have retained at least the same content as the current DL version, I am ecstatic that the beloved original classic is back, and look forward to seeing it MANY times the next time I'm in Florida this winter!

I also applaud the return of the original WDW preshow, which is less argumentative and less cynically "showbiz" than the UNM preshow.

I commend "TDO" for bringing back this classic, although it did take a fire to make it happen! Thankfully no guests or Cast Members were hurt in the fire.

It sure is swell to hear the classic Tiki Room theme song once again without obnoxious Iago interupting it right at the beginning!

Here is a video of the WDW preshow and the mainshow shot Sunday during the soft opening. There's a lot of great videos already available online, but I picked this one because it is the only one I've seen so far that include the "Heigh Ho" exit song in its entirety:

Preshow:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j5ahQAsNHH0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Main Show:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZsFuZig_ii8" frameborder="0"></iframe>
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dizfan »

It's nice to have something more in line with the original at WDW.

One thing I can't get over is the omission of the magic fountain. That's such a focal point for the original Disneyland show.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

dizfan wrote:It's nice to have something more in line with the original at WDW.

One thing I can't get over is the omission of the magic fountain. That's such a focal point for the original Disneyland show.
I asked Tim about that. He said they didn't put it back since they took apart the piping for the fountain when they made Under New Management where the tiki goddess comes out of. So I guess when they put the old one back in, they didn't have time/budget to reinsert the piping back in or something.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Super Aurora wrote:they didn't have time/budget to reinsert the piping back in or something.
Like that's not a losery excuse! They have how much money, and they could just make how much more time? Maybe spend a little more time and money on projects to make quality instead of trying to attain a bunch of products in quantity, Disney.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

DisneyDuster wrote:They have how much money, and they could just make how much more time?
Perhaps they meant the budget they had set aside for this particular refurbishment. And it had already been closed for eight months so I can see why they wanted it reopened by now. I've read that Disney might be planning to reinstall the fountain when the expansion is completed and Adventureland might be in line for a spruce up so we could still see it yet. I'm just glad that Disney have brought a close resemblence of the original show back; even if the fire might have forced their hand, at least they've done something that a lot of guests have been calling for ever since the UNM version opened.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:they didn't have time/budget to reinsert the piping back in or something.
Like that's not a losery excuse! They have how much money, and they could just make how much more time? Maybe spend a little more time and money on projects to make quality instead of trying to attain a bunch of products in quantity, Disney.
Most of the money budget is is being used for the new fantasyland project. Be happy they even bothered to put original Tiki bird show back in.

Tim the one who told me all this. go ask him about it.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTyOITQm ... e=youtu.be

Here's a video from the D23 Expo of the Imagineers' testing for the new Snow White roller coaster which looks like it will be incredible and unique. At the end of the video you can also see a model of how the expansion should look when it is completed which looks amazing.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTyOITQm ... e=youtu.be

Here's a video from the D23 Expo of the Imagineers' testing for the new Snow White roller coaster which looks like it will be incredible and unique. At the end of the video you can also see a model of how the expansion should look when it is completed which looks amazing.
You rock! Thank you! :D Can't wait!