Future Plans For WDW's Fantasyland

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:The circus area is not part of Fantasyland, just like Mickey's Toontown Fair wasn't a part of Fantasyland so that point is irrelevent. Whether the old attractions were better is a matter of opinion; my tastes mean that I much prefer the current plans.
It's not? I thought that Storybook Circus was part of Fantasyland.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Was Mickey's Toontown Fair a part of Fantasyland? I don't see how the circus area can be blamed for any attractions being removed from the Fantasyland expansion. The only thing the circus area effected in my eyes was Pixie Hollow.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:Let me ask you something; if they had built the Sleeping Beauty meet-and-greet and you did it once and made a birthday card for Aurora...would you do it again? Everytime you visited the Magic Kingdom, would you make a card for Aurora? Or would you be more likely to ride a roller coaster? There are several things that Disney announced and never built; google Michael Eisner's "Disney Decade" and you will see what I mean.

Why put it in the park if you don't have complete faith in it or believe that you can create a better attraction in the future? True you can't appeal to everyone but the Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty meet-and-greets appealed only to a very specific demographic. If you can't see that then there really is no point in continuing this debate.
No you are right that I wouldn't want to make a birthday card again. However, I would check out the cottage almost every time I could. I think that Disney could either have made Sleeping Beauty's cottage either have activities like exploring the house, using "wands" to interact with it, like play with those objects the fairies made come to life in the film, and maybe even bake your own treat like Fauna did, or the cottage would just be the facade of a dark ride, and Cinderella's house host a magic transformation show/show of the film. Or both houses could be walk-throughs. Doesn't any of that sound good to you?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

DisneyDuster wrote:No you are right that I wouldn't want to make a birthday card again. However, I would check out the cottage almost every time I could. I think that Disney could either have made Sleeping Beauty's cottage either have activities like exploring the house, using "wands" to interact with it, like play with those objects the fairies made come to life in the film, and maybe even bake your own treat like Fauna did, or the cottage would just be the facade of a dark ride, and Cinderella's house host a magic transformation show/show of the film. Or both houses could be walk-throughs. Doesn't any of that sound good to you?
If they were dark rides I would be completely on board with you're idea. I think Fantasyland could do with another dark ride based on a classic film and I think a Cinderella dark ride would be a brilliant idea. I'm not sure about walt-throughts; no doubt they would look nice but I would rather have something to do than just look at.
Last edited by DisneyAnimation88 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh yay we agree. Thanks for being real nice there. I am curious as to why you think a Cinderella dark ride would be better than a Sleeping Beauty one, though?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

I'm not sure why, I can definitely visualise a Cinderella dark ride more than a Sleeping Beauty one. I think with Snow White's Scary Adventure closing, Cinderella is a film that seems to be a good idea for a possible eventual replacement; I could see a scene where Lady Tremaine is conducting the music lesson or where Cinderella is cleaning the stairs and the could perhaps be an effect with the bubbles like in the film. Add the attic where the mice are working on Cinderella's dress, the transformation scene, the ball and the wedding finale and I think it would be a very good dark ride. I would love a Sleeping Beauty dark ride too but strictly in terms of a dark ride, I personally think Cinderella would be the better option.
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

I personally would rather have a SB dark ride over Cinderella but it's not going to happen so I won't even get into it!

Anways, Dumbo is closing for "refurb" Jan 9 to Feb 17 this is when it is supposed to get relocated to its new location
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I also still feel a Sleeping Beauty dark ride would be better, as it has more exciting elements to see, confront, jump out at you, or run away from. They actually planned a Sleeping Beauty dark ride for Disney World before Roy Disney said all the dark rides should be the same as Disneyland's. :/

However, I have thought of ideas for a Cinderella dark ride. It involved the stepsisters throwing stuff at you, Lucifer jumping out at you, beautiful, immersive scenes of bubbles and magic, a wonderful, almost roller-coaster like "coach" ride through the streets to the castle, and your "coach" vehicle spins with the dancers as it goes through the stunning ballroom and garden.

But a Cinderella walk-through would also really be great. The one in Tokyo Disneyland is absolutely beautiful, and interesting, it just needs more animation and perhaps ineractive elements like the Disneyland Sleeping Beauty one.
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

Look! Dumbo is going the wrong way!

Actually, Dumbo is just reversing decades of flying in counter-clockwise circles. Call it “unwinding,” if you will. And in a new location within Magic Kingdom.

Guests will board Dumbo the Flying Elephant from the lovable critter’s left side — like mounting a horse … and unlike the way guests hop aboard for a whirl at Disney parks on three continents. It is scheduled to begin happening in early 2012 when select experiences in the Storybook Circus neighborhood of New Fantasyland debut just northeast of Mad Tea Party.

Also early 2012, the existing Dumbo attraction near Prince Charming Regal Carrousel will close, be refurbished and be moved to a location in Storybook Circus next to the new Dumbo attraction. The result when completed later in 2012: double Dumbos, one going this-a-way, one going that-a-way … a real circus act, if you will.

There also will be a “big top” that serves as a queue area for the popular attraction. It will feature a variety of interactive experiences currently being developed.

Two other Storybook Circus elements planned for opening early in the year are The Barnstormer and Fantasyland Station. Guests who enjoyed The Barnstormer at Goofy’s Wiseacre Farm will be happy to know the junior coaster thrills of that attraction are back with a thematic change: Goofy has sold the farm and is now a circus stunt pilot and magician, The Great Goofini. The completely re-imagined train station will serve as the gateway to Storybook Circus and all Fantasyland points beyond
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

WonderlandFever wrote:The completely re-imagined train station will serve as the gateway to Storybook Circus and all Fantasyland points beyond
Wait...that makes it sound like Storybook Circus then will be part of Fantasyland, but I thought someone said it wouldn't be...and a train station is the entrance? That's so unfitting to storybook fairy tale lands...
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

DisneyDuster wrote:Wait...that makes it sound like Storybook Circus then will be part of Fantasyland, but I thought someone said it wouldn't be...and a train station is the entrance? That's so unfitting to storybook fairy tale lands
:lol: That is so ridiculous it's actually quite funny. If Storybook Circus was part of Fantasyland, why even call it Storybook Circus? It's part of the expansion but it's a separate land, just like Pixie Hollow was meant to be and Mickey's Toontown Fair was.

The train station is the same one that's always been there and will be in exactly the same place, when I was there last month it was being rebuilt. So how exactly is that unfitting?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

They have the explain the Chester & Hester quality of theming somehow. They actually de-themed Barnstormer to make it Goofini, ugh.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, from my understanding, the train never used to be an "entrance" to fairy tale lands before.
jpanimation wrote:They actually de-themed Barnstormer to make it Goofini, ugh.
LOL I so agree with you man.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

DisneyDuster wrote:Well, from my understanding, the train never used to be an "entrance" to fairy tale lands before.
It's always been one. Remember the spiel for the train ride where it said that Toontown was the stop for Fantasyland and Tomorrowland? If you walked straight through Toontown, and in the future through Storybook Circus, where would you end up? Fantasyland. So, to me at least, calling the train station that makes perfect sense.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

jpanimation wrote:They actually de-themed Barnstormer to make it Goofini, ugh.
Well.... if that isn't lazy, I don't know what is.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:It's always been one. Remember the spiel for the train ride where it said that Toontown was the stop for Fantasyland and Tomorrowland? If you walked straight through Toontown, and in the future through Storybook Circus, where would you end up? Fantasyland. So, to me at least, calling the train station that makes perfect sense.
Right. They are now trying to turn the train into the entrance to lands where trains never would exist. Can't they...not do that or do something else?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:It's always been one. Remember the spiel for the train ride where it said that Toontown was the stop for Fantasyland and Tomorrowland? If you walked straight through Toontown, and in the future through Storybook Circus, where would you end up? Fantasyland. So, to me at least, calling the train station that makes perfect sense.
Right. []b]They are now trying to turn the train into the entrance to lands where trains never would exist.[/b] Can't they...not do that or do something else?
Disney Duster wrote:They are now trying to turn the train into the entrance to lands where trains never would exist.
Disney Duster wrote:where trains never would exist.
Disney Duster wrote:where trains never would exist.

<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Disney Duster wrote:
Right. They are now trying to turn the train into the entrance to lands where trains never would exist. Can't they...not do that or do something else?
Actually Dusty, at Disneyland, they had a Fantasyland Train Station for the Disneyland Railroad from 1956 to 1966, when it was removed to make way for It's A Small World. Then the Fantasyland station was rebuilt in 1988, and then turned into the Fantasyland/Mickey's Toontown Station in 1993. So Walt certainly thematically approved of a train station at Fantasyland right from the get-go at Disneyland. Not to mention that Fantasyland has always had Casey Jr. Circus Train from day one...
-Tim
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea he had it randomly somewhere in Fantasyland.

Not as the specific entrance to just the lands of long, long ago, once upon a time.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Disney Duster wrote:Yea he had it randomly somewhere in Fantasyland.

Not as the specific entrance to just the lands of long, long ago, once upon a time.
But I don't quite get the logic in you being annoyed that the station is serving as the "entrance for Fantasyland." Nobody ever said it was. It'll be in no way different than the train station originally was at WDW, in fact it looks like it'll be the same location. As Disney Animation had said, the station always had served and been announced as the stop for both Fantasyland and Mickey's Toontown Fair. Just like at Disneyland how the New Orleans Square station is always announced as the station for both New Orleans Square and Frontierland, and the Toontown one for both Fantasyland and Mickey's Toontown. Tomorrowland at Disneyland has had a Disneyland Railroad train station since 1958 in plain view in a land that's supposed to most likely take place in hundreds of years into the future.

You could argue that trains don't fit thematically into Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, but you have to realize that the Disneyland Railroad is not just a ride or only a theme element, but also serves as the primary mode of vehicle transporation for guests in the park. And with Fantasyland and Tomorrowland being two of the most popular lands at Disneyland, of course there's going to be train stations for the Disneyland Railroad.
-Tim