The Little Mermaid Rides

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Too bad this isn't being constructed in Walt Disney World. It looks absolutely stunning!

Just a thought- We'll probably never see a Hunchback of Notre Dame attraction.. :lol: :(
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Scarred4life wrote:Too bad this isn't being constructed in Walt Disney World. It looks absolutely stunning!

Just a thought- We'll probably never see a Hunchback of Notre Dame attraction.. :lol: :(
Actually, it is going to come to WDW's MK, as part of an expanded Fantasyland.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

^ *Starts saving money*
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Are they being made at the same time ? I'm getting confused between the two .... which one is opening first ?
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

The one at DL is due to open in Spring of 2011, while the one at WDW is planned to be opened sometime in the summer or winter of 2012.
-Tim
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Thank you for letting me know PrincePhillipFan :) I know the frontages are going to be different from eachother, but I take it the rides will be identical ?

I wonder why they felt The Little Mermaid would make the best new addition as a dark ride to Disney ? My thoughts are that Ariel is probably one of, if not the, most popular Princess. And the fact that even though it is a 'Princess' film, it does cross over into boys enjoying it, as it has so much fun and adventure. Ariel herself is more of a pop culture refrence than the other Princesses; she gets mentioned in movies like American Pie, and Family Guy etc.

But then again, Aladdin is certainly a beloved film with enough 'cross - over' power to appeal to both male and female visitors in the park. I guess the Platinum DVD helped to sway the idea of creating a TLM ride. Some of the plannig must have already been in place from EuroDisney ?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Thank you for letting me know PrincePhillipFan :) I know the frontages are going to be different from eachother, but I take it the rides will be identical ?

I wonder why they felt The Little Mermaid would make the best new addition as a dark ride to Disney ? My thoughts are that Ariel is probably one of, if not the, most popular Princess. And the fact that even though it is a 'Princess' film, it does cross over into boys enjoying it, as it has so much fun and adventure. Ariel herself is more of a pop culture refrence than the other Princesses; she gets mentioned in movies like American Pie, and Family Guy etc.

But then again, Aladdin is certainly a beloved film with enough 'cross - over' power to appeal to both male and female visitors in the park. I guess the Platinum DVD helped to sway the idea of creating a TLM ride. Some of the plannig must have already been in place from EuroDisney ?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure

Post by Disney Duster »

How did ravid mermaid fans, or anyone else, miss this?

Just look. Just look, my friends:

The Little Mermaid: A 21st Century Dark Ride

!!!!!!!

The only thing is...Scuttle is narrating? Sebastian makes much more sense, he was there when all of it happened, and he's the only one who can narrate the underwater scenes!

But look at what those animatronics are going to be able to do! They'll be like alive!!! Wouldn't it be great if Disney updated many other rides with such moving animatronics? Snow White, Peter Pan, Pinocchio? Monstro, ahhh!!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

THANK YOU, Disney Duster!

Gosh, I really really hope I get to ride this (I know, I know, everytime I go into the "Theme Parks" board I start to complain about how I never go to Disney World...)!

On the subject of Scuttle- Well, I did find that snippet of his monolouge funny however, to add to the list of your problems with him as the narrator Disney Duster, who ever's playing him doesn't sound like him at all (hopefully it's just a stand-in, though).

Buddy Hackett passed away in '03 and if he were still alive and available to voice Scuttle then I wouldn't really have a problem with it. But I'd prefer Sebastian, even Flounder. Perhaps they chose Scuttle, though, because he wasn't in much of the action? That way it wouldn't draw you out of the story too much when you see the Scuttle animatronic and hear the Scuttle narration. Perhaps that was their reasoning?

I also wonder if any of the other voice actors will come back to do some new dialogue for the ride? Jodi Benson and Sam Wright would be likely to come back, and I bet C.D. Barnes would if it fit within his schedule. I'm not so sure about Kenneth Mars or Pat Carroll, considering both of them were absent from TLM 3, though...
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh my gosh ! Did you ever see anything so wonderful in your entire life ?! :D

How wonderful; I am so impressed !! Thank you so much Disney Duster ....

There is not a single detail I dislike about it; the amount of creativity involved within this project is astounding. There seems to be real joy and love coming from the people involved, and it is showing in the details of the ride itself.

Ariel will have so much movement !! I wonder if shell have different threads of dialogue like the Bride in Haunted Mansion .... and I have no doubt that Jodi will be back for Ariel. There is no way she wouldnt perform as the voice of our heroine is this permanent aspect of the film franchise. Sam probably will, along with Pat; she came back for the Disney Land Resort Paris parade, so I see no reason why she wouldnt now.

This ride just gets more and more exciting !!
Disney Duster

The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure

Post by Disney Duster »

I was hoping atlanticaunderthesea would sea this! So glad you love it that, that much!

Oh, one thing:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Ariel herself is more of a pop culture refrence than the other Princesses; she gets mentioned in movies like American Pie, and Family Guy etc.
I just gotta say Cinderella is a big or bigger pop culture icon, too, but not just in the Disney form, because her fairy tale is generally known everywhere by all. However Ariel as the character probably does have a bigger presence and most people wouldn't know The Little Mermaid fairy tale if it weren't for her! And I definately think The Little Mermaid is more popular than Aladdin, if not possibly the most popular Disney film ever. For reals.

Yea UmbrellaFish, perhaps that's why they chose Scuttle. I mean, it makes sense to me that he would tell stories since he tell Ariel how the human world works. And get's it wrong, like he does here. lol. But, still...only perhaps, perhaps.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Using Scuttle is an interesting idea; he picks up stories, and relays them to Ariel, so it can make sense him narrating the ride. It is a change from the original ride from the DVD, where it was Sebastian who was the narrator. He also narrated Ariel's Beginning ..... so maybe they wanted to try something a little different with the ride ? Sebastian is the obvious choice .... but I'm kind of glad that they went with something different. Also, if it is a problem for some people, and if the initial DVD ride is anything to go on, the narration will be minimal anyway; at the start and the end of the journey. The characters themselves will do the talking hopefully.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

OMG, this is going to be so cool!!! :D
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney pulls $15 million permit for Little Mermaid ride
http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=74542
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I know this is going to sound so silly ..... but I can't actually believe all this is happening !! It seemed like for so long this would just be a fantasy, but it is actually coming together now, and so quickly !! And, to top it off, it looks / sounds / feels wonderful as well, from the previews we have seen.

Thank you so much again Amy for keeping this thread so up to date :)
blackcauldron85

You're welcome, but I haven't done much! I'm really excited for it, too, and I wonder how close it'll be to the DVD ride-through...I'm just really, really curious about that!
blackcauldron85

Scene-by-Scene Preview of The Little Mermaid Dark Ride
http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest-ID-74860.asp

:pink: I was so excited reading the article, and then it has to remind me that it's not coming to WDW until 2013. :p
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Scene-by-Scene Preview of The Little Mermaid Dark Ride
http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest-ID-74860.asp

:pink: I was so excited reading the article, and then it has to remind me that it's not coming to WDW until 2013. :p
Ah! Can't wait for the big opening!

And notice it said that Scuttle and Sebastian will provide the opening narration.
Disney Duster

Ariel's Undersea Adventure

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea, I did notice that.

And I noticed that there is a missing sister in that arch with all the mermaids and King Triton...

and I noticed this:

"Scene 9 — The spell-breaking kiss drives Ursula mad as “Love’s First Kiss” plays amid gathering storm clouds."

True Love's Kiss is from Enchanted! I don't want that in there! It needs to be all mermaid! Even though it was also written by Menken, it still needs to be all Mermaid! More people have seen Mermaid then Enchanted and won't know why that's there or what it is!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Ariel's Undersea Adventure

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney Duster wrote: "Scene 9 — The spell-breaking kiss drives Ursula mad as “Love’s First Kiss” plays amid gathering storm clouds."

True Love's Kiss is from Enchanted! I don't want that in there! It needs to be all mermaid! Even though it was also written by Menken, it still needs to be all Mermaid! More people have seen Mermaid then Enchanted and won't know why that's there or what it is!
I doubt that it's "True Love's Kiss" because that's not the same title as was given in the synopsis, and especially because it's from Enchanted. Disney's made weird choices in the past but I don't think they'd include music from a totally different movie, regardless of whether they have the same composer.

Either "Love's First Kiss" is a typo, and it means "Kiss the Girl" (it says "amid gathering clouds" so it's possible that KTG will trail off into that scene), "Love First Kiss" is actually apart of the film's score but it's not included on the CD listing or under a different name, or perhaps it's a new/stock piece for the ride. I wouldn't fret too much about it, anyway. We won't know anything for certain until the ride debuts.