Snow White's Scarier Adventures

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Thanks for sharing your faves, Flangy! The Fantasyland dark rides are some of my favorite attractions, so I always love hearing what others favorites are :)

I can see what you mean by Pinocchio being rather disjointed. Pinocchio and Alice are both similar rides in that their movies are rather episodic, yet Alice's ride has the edge in having a cohesive connection by hearing Alice's narration inbetween scenes. Also the fact the scenes seem to flow more naturally designwise, in going from a garden of flowers to the Tulgey Wood to a hedge maze. I still really love Pinocchio though, mostly because as I said, I'm just so taken by the level of detail alone in the Pleasure Island scene.

I'm happy to hear that you really love Toad as well! Even though I like DL's version, I still really miss WDW's Toad most and think that was the best. I loved that you had an option on going on two different tracks and each having completely different ride experiences. Not to mention, I love so many of the vignettes they don't have in DL's Toad like the trophy room, the kitchen, and the gypsy camp. One thing though I do really love about DL's though too is the fact at the end they made the Prosecutor/Judge the devil. :p

One thing I would especially love to see more than anythign though at DL's Fantasyland is the new Sleeping Beauty walk thru. From the videos alone I know I can tell I'd go crazy happy seeing it :lol:
-Tim
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

PrincePhillipFan wrote:One thing I would especially love to see more than anythign though at DL's Fantasyland is the new Sleeping Beauty walk thru. From the videos alone I know I can tell I'd go crazy happy seeing it :lol:
So long as you're not claustrophobic (some of the hallways are quite tight), it's great. Like a dark ride on foot, and based on Sleeping Beauty!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

PrincePhillipFan wrote:Recently, Tony Baxter and some of the other Imagineers added a new special effect to the Queen's chamber, in which the Queen not only transforms into the Witch at the mirror, but the entire throne room changes with the spell.
I find that new effect to not be good. It's distracting from what you're supposed to be watching (the queen surprise you as the witch!) and it didn't happen in the film (I know, she doesn't transform at her mirror in the film either, but at least she turned into the witch in the film while her throne room never changed so it doesn't make sense).
PrincePhillipFan wrote:They were called "dark" rides for a reason, after all.
EXACTLY!!!!
Flanger-Hanger wrote:with Pinocchio appearing in person multiple times you don't get the sense that you are him too often. It's like watching a clip show sped up without any time to really "soak-in" whats happening (besides the initial Pleasure Island scene).
These rides aren't always supposed to make you feel like you're them. Peter Pan's Flight definately isn't supposed to make you feel your Peter Pan. I just don't think that one should be used as a count against the ride. Riding along with Pinocchio is just as good as "being him" would be.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Disney Duster wrote:Peter Pan's Flight definately isn't supposed to make you feel your Peter Pan.
I disagree, for most of the ride you don't see him at all. When you enter the Darling Nursery you see his shadow as you fly in and then you go over London and Nerverland as he would, again without seeing him. At WDW, Hook fires cannons at us, much like he would do to Pan. I think the ride is better for it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I would think seeing him at all means you aren't supposed to be him, since he was always on the ride, but Snow White used to not be on the ride because you really were supposed to be her. Unless I'm unaware they added Peter Pan to his ride later like her ride.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Disney Duster wrote:I would think seeing him at all means you aren't supposed to be him, since he was always on the ride
Initially when Disneyland opened the intent of the ride was that the guest was supposed to feel like they were Peter Pan. From what I've read in different books, the WDW version of the ride was built with Peter featured in it because guests at Disneyland had been confused as to why there was a Peter Pan ride without the actual character. I think an animatronic Peter Pan was added to the ride at Disneyland sometime in the 1980's when Fantasyland was redeveloped but I think he's always been in the ride at WDW.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I really feel that when Disney initially tried to gear the ride that YOU are the character they didn't set it up very well? Correct me if I'm wrong, (which I probably am). Myself, I like to see Snow and Peter in the ride. Especially for the latter, I dont think the ride would make much sense if Peter wasnt in it ?

I mean, I know in Paris it is called 'Snow White's Scary Adventures' and she is barely in it, yet Ariel's ride is 'Journey of the Little Mermaid' and Ariel is threaded all the way through ?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well they put Ariel in a lot because they gave up on the "you are the character" idea lol.

Thanks DisneyAnimation. So that means they did change Peter Pan to be on because you no longer are supposed to be him, and so for Pinocchio you never were supposed to be him.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Disney Duster wrote:So that means they did change Peter Pan to be on because you no longer are supposed to be him, and so for Pinocchio you never were supposed to be him.
I'm not sure about Pinocchio to be honest. I think that the initial idea behind all of these dark rides was that guests would realise that they were supposed to represent and become the characters without having to be told. Unfortunately, it seems that many guests didn't understand that and complained that when they rode a ride based on the adventures of Snow White or Peter Pan they expected to see those characters so Disney addressed that by going back and installing them. To be fair, I probably would have had the same complaints myself if I hadn't known the intention of the Imagineers beforehand.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I agree with that, I would probably do that too, but I want to know if Pinocchio was always on his ride, menaing you weren't supposed to be him.

I read in one of those help guide your trip to Disney books that some grandfather on one of the Snow White adventures rides, I think the previous Disney World one, said, "Where in the hell is Snow White?" Hahahaaa!!!
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

I've never been to Disneyland so I don't know much the Pinocchio ride. Looking at it's opening date as part of the Fantasyland overhaul in the 1980's, I would guess that he has always been a part of the ride given that this was the time that a Peter Pan figure was added to Peter Pan's Flight. I doubt Disney would have left out a Pinocchio figure given the confusion casued by the lack of Peter Pan and Snow White on their respective rides.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I see. Thanks. Well it sounds like I was right about that then. But who knows for sure.