Why so anti towards carnival rides?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Why so anti towards carnival rides?

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Why is everyone so anti towards carnival rides at any Disney parks?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I'm personally not too harshly against the idea, but I think that the rides at the parks should be more unique and personalized to that park than your average run-of-the-mill carnival ride. Since Disney has the money and engineering/imagineering to create new ride experiences, I feel it'd be a tremendous waste to take such an easy approach as to build rides you can find at any county fairground.
Prince Charming 12
Gold Classic Collection

Carnival Rides at a Disney Park?

Post by Prince Charming 12 »

Big Disney Fan wrote:Why is everyone so anti towards carnival rides at any Disney parks?

Have you ever visited DinoLand U.S.A. in Animal Kingdom? Do you really believe that those carnival games and callers belong in a Disney Park? Is Primeval Whirl really the product of WDI? This "stuff" belongs at the local amusement park.

I am not sure if I misinterpreted your question so maybe you can clarify or expand on your topic a little more.
Remember the Magic!
Linden
Special Edition

Re: Why so anti towards carnival rides?

Post by Linden »

Big Disney Fan wrote:Why is everyone so anti towards carnival rides at any Disney parks?
Because Disney Parks are supposed to be higher quality than the typical theme park where you'd find carnival rides. Walt wanted to set his theme park apart and make it better than other theme parks. Carnival rides are a dime a dozen. The Matterhorn isn't. And that's how Disney Park rides should be.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

What bothers me about this is that everyone is criticizing that stuff like this is/should be beneath Disney's standards and whatnot. I mean, if these parks are supposed to be higher quality, why are there attractions like the teacups or Dumbo?
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

That's the problem with california adventure, to me. Those little kids, in the corner, most of them are all at Knotts Berry Farm, down the road..... :oops:
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Re: Carnival Rides at a Disney Park?

Post by pinkrenata »

Prince Charming 12 wrote:

Have you ever visited DinoLand U.S.A. in Animal Kingdom? Do you really believe that those carnival games and callers belong in a Disney Park? Is Primeval Whirl really the product of WDI? This "stuff" belongs at the local amusement park.
I actually am okay with the DinoLand U.S.A. rides because the theming really does work. Have you ever taken a road trip to South Dakota or somewhere else incredibly tacky? 'Cause that's what's being emulated here.

Obviously, yes, it still is an easy way out. But at least they tried to do some sort of theming. And I love tacky, kitschy things, so I appreciate the humor behind that section of Animal Kingdom.

I think I am almost more bothered by A Bug's Land at California Adventure and the new Toy Story land at Hollywood Studios in Paris. Obviously these areas look great and are a lot of fun to walk through. But, when it comes down to it, they are filled with the same sorts of amusement park rides. But, Disney can't be expected to churn out one E-ticket ride after another. They'd be broke before we knew it.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Prince Charming 12
Gold Classic Collection

E-TICKET

Post by Prince Charming 12 »

I really do not see the connection of a theme in DinoLand. You elude to that fact in your second paragraph- "some sort of theming", too. I do not care what dino type name you give those games and attractions, but they do not fit into a Land supposedly themed after dinosaurs (excluding the attraction "Dinosaur, of course)!

It was never Walt's design to have only E-Ticket attractions, but that all the attractions were to fit together to immerse the guest into believing that they were really in that specific Land.

My guess is that WDI has other plans for that space and this "stuff" is a temporary place holder until that time comes - analogous to Toontown.
Remember the Magic!
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Re: E-TICKET

Post by pinkrenata »

Prince Charming 12 wrote:I really do not see the connection of a theme in DinoLand. You elude to that fact in your second paragraph- "some sort of theming", too. I do not care what dino type name you give those games and attractions, but they do not fit into a Land supposedly themed after dinosaurs (excluding the attraction "Dinosaur, of course)!

It was never Walt's design to have only E-Ticket attractions, but that all the attractions were to fit together to immerse the guest into believing that they were really in that specific Land.

My guess is that WDI has other plans for that space and this "stuff" is a temporary place holder until that time comes - analogous to Toontown.
The theming is that it's supposed to be a tacky roadside attraction in the middle of nowhere, apparently near a dino dig site. I won't pretend that it's not a bit flimsy. However, there is more thought behind it than you have credit for.

As I mentioned before, places like South Dakota are littered with junk like this. In fact, right in the middle of Rapid City (near Mount Rushmore), there is an incredibly tacky dinosaur park full of huge cement dinosaurs, built who knows when. This is the sort of place the DinoLand U.S.A. is channeling. Sure, it's a stretch from the original, more realistic, concept. And you're probably right about the whole Toontown theory. Still, I will fight anyone who claims it lacks any sort of relevant theming. In fact, I feel that its irrelevancy is more intentional than a lot of people realize.

I'm guessing you've never been to California Adventure. If so, you'd probably realize how bad poorly-themed carnival rides can get.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Most people, myself included, are against the idea because it would seem like the easy way out. Yes, not every ride can be the world's next big E-Ticket, but there are many cheap alternatives that can still be considered unique (walk-throughs, interactive experiences...) Placing too many carnival rides at a Disney park makes it seem no different than your average Six Flags. The fans all know it's not true, but imagine a first time guest travelling half-way round the world only to discover bland rollercoasters and run-of-the-mill rides (DCA, for example) and to realise they paid premium cash for something they have near home!
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

pinkrenata wrote:I'm guessing you've never been to California Adventure. If so, you'd probably realize how bad poorly-themed carnival rides can get.
I have been to the California Adventure, but as for the themes of the carnival rides, I've never really noticed nor really cared.

What chafes me about this is that, at every whim, everyone always seems to blast the parks for not having "unique" attractions. Okay, so there are a lot of spinner rides in the parks, but guess what: they work, no matter how much we disagree!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I dont know anything about the other parks, but I really feel that the carousel behind the castle in DisneyLand Paris is very dull and out of place. Something a lot cooler and more 'Disney' could have been placed there instead.
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:I dont know anything about the other parks, but I really feel that the carousel behind the castle in DisneyLand Paris is very dull and out of place. Something a lot cooler and more 'Disney' could have been placed there instead.
Aww, but it's not Fantasyland without a carousel!

Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Big Disney Fan wrote:What chafes me about this is that, at every whim, everyone always seems to blast the parks for not having "unique" attractions. Okay, so there are a lot of spinner rides in the parks, but guess what: they work, no matter how much we disagree!
They work? If you mean fill up otherwise useful space to create the impression the park is filled with unique Disney rides, yeah, I guess they do work. To say they work in impressing guests though is far from the truth.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

pinkrenata wrote:Aww, but it's not Fantasyland without a carousel!
Really just doesnt do it for me ! Its in a prime place as well, something so much more cooler could have gone there ! I mean, I love the Sword in the Stone right in front of it, thats really cool. They could have done something so much better .....
BellesPrince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BellesPrince »

Aww, I think the Carousel is beautiful - and did you know there was a Hidden Mickey on it?
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
pinkrenata wrote:Aww, but it's not Fantasyland without a carousel!
Really just doesnt do it for me ! Its in a prime place as well, something so much more cooler could have gone there ! I mean, I love the Sword in the Stone right in front of it, thats really cool. They could have done something so much better .....
Yeah, but all the Fantasylands have a carousel in that exact spot. You can't mess with tradition! :tink:

Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

And if everyone is so critical of carnival rides in the parks, why do they not mind Dumbo and the teacups in there? Those are based on carnival rides, too!
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Agree since I prefer Rollercoster rides and ones in Six Flags i fucking love (Superman and Batman ones come to mind).
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

pinkrenata wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote: Really just doesnt do it for me ! Its in a prime place as well, something so much more cooler could have gone there ! I mean, I love the Sword in the Stone right in front of it, thats really cool. They could have done something so much better .....
Yeah, but all the Fantasylands have a carousel in that exact spot. You can't mess with tradition! :tink:
Well, what I'm trying to say is that its a sucky tradition in the first place ! :lol: