Going To Disney Alone .....

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Going To Disney Alone .....

Post by Atlantica »

I'm contemplating going to Disneyland Paris alone this year, and I wondered if any of you guys have done any Disney trips alone too ?

I'd probably take a week off work and go to stay in the Santa Fe hotel, then split my time over Disney itself and Paris.

If you have gone alone, how have you found it ? Less magical ? More magical ? Scary ? Feel silly ? I'm a 26 year old single girl with no commitments apart from my job, so figured now or never !

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice :)
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Re: Going To Disney Alone .....

Post by DisneyJedi »

I doubt it'd be considered "alone" if I spent some of my days off during the college program exploring the parks by myself.
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

It really depends on what your personality is, I guess. I'm the kind of person who really likes to take in the atmosphere and eat food at Disney parks, which is easier to do alone rather than with someone who drags you onto every single ride (when I went to Walt Disney World with my family when I was younger...they dragged me on everything. An hour long wait for Dumbo. Stitch's Great Escape. The orange version of Mission Space which horribly backfired and ruined both our day and our lunches... :huh:).

Anywho, I find it super magical to just stroll around the parks with no other commitments. I never feel in danger here in the American parks. Paris seems to be less busy anyways.

Also, take advantage of single rider queues. :up:
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I've gone with family, my boyfriend, friends and solo and I thoroughly enjoyed my solo trips. I get to do what I want to do when I want to do it. Sure, it's nice having someone there to share it with but that's no excuse not to have a blast by yourself. If you are self conscious doing table meals by yourself, bring something to read. But no one else is really gonna be paying attention to you, I guarantee it; they're too wrapped up in their own vacations. I usually do more counter service and eating in my room (pizza) when I'm by myself. Please don't worry about doing Disney alone!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

You guys have given me a lot of confidence, thank you ! :)

I'm more than happy in my own company (I live alone) but I just didn't know if you feel a little of a plonker if you experience the whole of Disney alone. I love it so much I wouldn't care much for other peoples opinions when I'm there, but just wanted to ask if the journey is worth doing alone.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I've done Disneyland solo in 2004 and 2007. I stayed at the Grand Californian for a week each visit.
I've done Walt Disney World solo in 2006 (Boardwalk Inn), 2008 (Yacht Club), and 2009 (Beach Club).
I've done Universal Orlando solo in 2005 (Portofino Bay).

I love my solo trips!
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I have yet to go a park totally alone, but I did recently go to Epcot during Food & Wine, and was the first of my group to enter the park, and the last to leave, as a lot of the people I went with wanted to make it home in time for either a game or Walking Dead that night.

My time alone was pretty nice. I got to walk around the World Showcase at night, which is a lovely experience, and hit a couple of things that is normally hard to win other people over for, like The American Adventure. Like most things, it's better to go to the parks with people that you care about and experience it with them, but if there's one nice thing about going alone, it's being able to make your own rules. Don't be afraid to!
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

I've gone to Disney World alone 3 times (2006, 2012, 2013), and another time for a class trip, when I did tag along with friends, but later broke away to do my own thing, as I wanted to do more rides.

Each one of them has been a great time. Though I will admit, there are times when I feel silly, being a middle-aged male, enjoying the parks all by myself, as I see everyone else being with friends and/or family. But then, I remember there is a downside to going with other people, mainly not being able to call your own shots the whole time.

Now, I can't imagine going with anyone else, and if someone invited me, there is a good chance that I would decline.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Wow, its so interesting to hear everyones opinions and experiences of being in the park alone ! It's really giving me confidence about doing it, but am still nervous, I can't deny. People go there to feel the joy, love, and magic that Disney has to offer; I think that can be just as special (from what you guys have all said) when you are by yourself too.

The most 'alone' I've been is when I went with an ex boyfriend who basically couldn't cope with the parks all day, and all the excitement and how hyper and happy I was, so had to go and have a lie down. I wondered around just taking in the atmosphere, and taking photos. I then decided to go and queue up and meet the Princesses as I'd never been before, and their meet and greet tower had just been built. It was there that I felt most out of place; lots of children with their families, and if they weren't children then they were girlfriends together who were my age. Then just me :lol: I did feel kind of silly, but I was also in awe of where I was; the displays of each Princesses symbol made of glass were beautiful, as were the stained glass windows. So I did stick it out, but felt a little bit of a plonker. And then was super annoyed that in the two rooms Ariel was in one, and Snow in the other…..and I got put in the Snow room. Wasn't thrilled with that I must say as I've never met Ariel before ! (though I wasn't quite as bad as the little girl up from me who had the option of Cinderella or Rapunzel and got put into the Cinderella room … she had a total melt down about not being able to meet her idol, Rapunzel!)

I also loved the fact of wondering around Fantasyland; the place is so beautiful and every nook and cranny is stuffed with something interesting to look at. I rediscovered the Seven Dwarfs cottage which I totally forgot existed; all the animals are outside in a tableaux and the music is playing through the trees … just glorious ! Its something I wouldn't have been able to do if he was there as he wouldn't have tolerated it.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Atlantica wrote:The most 'alone' I've been is when I went with an ex boyfriend who basically couldn't cope with the parks all day, and all the excitement and how hyper and happy I was, so had to go and have a lie down.
That's insane! He couldn't cope? My boyfriend is not the greatest fan of Disneyland but for four days or whatever he sucks it up even though I make him do so much walking his feet bleed. There is probably good reason why he is an 'ex' boyfriend of yours!
Atlantica wrote:I also loved the fact of wondering around Fantasyland; the place is so beautiful and every nook and cranny is stuffed with something interesting to look at. I rediscovered the Seven Dwarfs cottage which I totally forgot existed; all the animals are outside in a tableaux and the music is playing through the trees … just glorious ! Its something I wouldn't have been able to do if he was there as he wouldn't have tolerated it.
I love the Dwarf Cottage! You are right, it is gorgeous. I really really want to go back but I don't think it is going to be worth doing until the huge number of renovations are finished. I am sad that I'll never go on Star Tours in its current incarnation again but I am excited about the new changes coming to the park.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

:lol: Yes, it could very well be one of the reasons ! I don't think I'm that difficult to deal with in Disney … just have a crazy amount of energy for every minute that I'm there. You have to make the most as how often do you go to a place that incredible ?! Once every few years, so need to make the most of it !

Hmmmm I had totally forgotten about the refurbishments. Are there any news / rumours of when or what will be involved for the 25th Anniversary ? I know they are prepping the park for it with all these long refurbs, but I'm not sure when the celebrations start ? I can't believe then it must almost be 10 years ago since I was at the 15th Anniversary celebrations ?! :? Crazy !!
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sometimes when you go alone, families will "adopt" you in line, talking with you, and inviting you to ride with them! And I'm not sure about DLP, but at WDW, when I'm alone I like to find restaurants with TVs in them (like the ABC Commissary at DHS, or I guess Casey's Corner at MK, etc.), so it's a little less boring while eating!
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Yes, go alone! The only two times I have visited Disneyland Paris, I have been solo. You accomplish much more when you're alone (Who needs to stop for lunch anyway?) AND you get to make awesome collages of yourself like this:

https://instagram.com/p/4GG1lhzTD8/?taken-by=natersjoy
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Now that I'm an annual passholder, I've been to the parks by myself a bunch. It really does have its advantages, primarily the ability to choose what you want to do at your own pace, with no one to be annoyed or vote you out, but at the same time, there is something magical about going with friends, and sharing the experience. It's sometimes hard to do that by yourself.

I'd say that you shouldn't be afraid to go by yourself, there's no problem with it. But if you can get people to join you, don't say no!
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Speaking as someone who has been to Disneyland Paris alone twice, I can say it's still plenty of fun to go on your own. You get to do whatever you want, whenever you want without someone second guessing your decision. :D
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Made the choice to wait it out until all of the refurbs have been done, and the 25th Anniversary celebrations starts. To go, it will be the same price now as it will be then, and half the things are shutting at different points !

I've seen the 15th and 20th Anniversary, so feel its only fitting to go to the 25th now too :)

(Plus, the whole situation with Alton Towers really and truly frightened me, so I'm not so keen on rides at the moment. If at all, ever again!).
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Late to the topic, but I have a bit to share too.

Last year I went in September with my sister to Disneyland/DCA. It was our first trip without the whole family. It felt weird just us two, but it didn't when we split up at times. We still did lots of rides, being used to the 'rushing/see it all' mentality, but got to take it slower at times and enjoy moments as they come.

One time she stood in line for the Aladdin show, while I got to ride the street car route alone. The cast members had to take the car to the fueling area and it was a one-way trip. Other guests got off and the driver asked if I wanted to also, but I wanted to ride the whole way, people-watching from afar. He then asked me if I was a cast member because I had that air about me. I was taken aback, blushing at the semi-compliment. I said I wasn't. I guess I was a bit of an odd Belle riding the street car as it's only passenger, but I wouldn't have traded that moment.
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs