Hurt or Heal: Disney on Broadway - BEAUTY & THE BEAST WINS!

Polls and games that do not call for discussion.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Re: Hurt or Heal: Disney on Broadway

Post by Jay »

Beauty and the Beast - 13
The Lion King - 7 (-2)
Newsies - 4

Eliminated:
The Little Mermaid
Peter and the Starcatcher
King David
Aida
Tarzan
Mary Poppins
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Beauty and the Beast - 11 (-2)
The Lion King - 7
Newsies - 4

Eliminated:
The Little Mermaid
King David
Aida
Tarzan
Mary Poppins
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

Beauty and the Beast - 9 (-2)
The Lion King - 7
Newsies - 4

Eliminated:
The Little Mermaid
King David
Aida
Tarzan
Mary Poppins
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Beauty and the Beast - 9
The Lion King - 7
Newsies - 2 (-2)

Eliminated:
The Little Mermaid
King David
Aida
Tarzan
Mary Poppins
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Beauty and the Beast - 9
The Lion King - 5 (-2)
Newsies - 2

Eliminated:
The Little Mermaid
King David
Aida
Tarzan
Mary Poppins
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Beauty and the Beast - 9
The Lion King - 3 (-2)
Newsies - 2

Eliminated:
The Little Mermaid
King David
Aida
Tarzan
Mary Poppins
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Beauty and the Beast - 9
The Lion King - 1 (-2)
Newsies - 2

Eliminated:
The Little Mermaid
King David
Aida
Tarzan
Mary Poppins
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Beauty and the Beast - 9
The Lion King - 0 (-2)
Newsies - 2

Eliminated:
The Little Mermaid
King David
Aida
Tarzan
Mary Poppins
The Lion King
Disney's Divinity

I guess it's a thing that the best one almost never wins. It's become American Idol. :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I guess it's a thing that the best one almost never wins.
Well, the best one according to you. As you know, what's "best" is highly subjective. :wink:

Beauty and the Beast - 9
Newsies - 0 (-2)

Eliminated:
The Little Mermaid
King David
Aida
Tarzan
Mary Poppins
The Lion King
Newsies

Congratulations to Beauty and the Beast!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Re: Hurt or Heal: Disney on Broadway - BEAUTY & THE BEAST WI

Yes !

:pink:
Disney's Divinity

Well, the best one according to you. A
There is no world where the LK musical is below B&tB or Esmeralda is above Frollo. Just saying. :lol:

But for myself, I don’t even like the B&tB musical. The new songs aren’t as awful as the ones in TLM, but I wouldn’t say they’re any good either. I find MP, Newsies, and TLK all far superior to it, personally. It’s nice to see B&tB actually win something, but I’d rather it have been for something it deserves.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:There is no world where the LK musical is below B&tB or Esmeralda is above Frollo. Just saying. :lol:
As a huge Esmeralda fan I find this a little insulting. Frollo only started to gain attention because of the Hellfire song and the NC putting the song high on his Best Villain song list. Just saying. :roll:
Disney's Divinity

I’m not sure why the NC would have anything to do with it...? I believe Tony Jay deserves more of the credit for saving the movie.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:I’m not sure why the NC would have anything to do with it...? I believe Tony Jay deserves more of the credit for saving the movie.
Nobody remembered Frollo or HOND until NC gave it some attention and then everybody was like " Omg Frollo " ! Before that Frollo and HOND was pretty much ignored or forgotten. :/
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

Nobody remembered Frollo or HOND until NC gave it some attention and then everybody was like " Omg Frollo " ! Before that Frollo and HOND was pretty much ignored or forgotten. :/
I'm sorry, but that is COMPLETE bullshit. The film has ALWAYS had its fans and its champions. And it's ALWAYS been popular among a certain segment of the population who grew up with it. The reason it's suddenly talked about is, quite simply, because we who saw it as kids and have been fans of it ever since grew up and now TALK about it online and through social media. Promote it, encourage discussion. Doug Walker gets way too much fucking credit. Just because he says something, doesn't make it gospel truth and doesn't mean people, LOTS OF PEOPLE, weren't saying it before him.

I live in rural Arkansas. I graduated high school in 2009. In my freshmen and sophomore years, ALL of my friends and acquaintances had heard of it, had seen it and loved it just as much as I did. We talked about it, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and, yes, The Lion King ad nauseam. Doug Walker did most certainly NOT foment every shred of appreciation for this film and it is insulting to fans like me, who have fought for this film since day one, to suggest that that is the case.

I view it as akin to Alice in Wonderland and Fantasia. Both were written-off when they first came out. Both were 'forgotten.' But the people who loved them kept them alive, kept championing them and, eventually, the general public came to a consensus that they were masterpieces. Hunchback is, in my opinion, on a similar path. It has its detractors, but its popularity and appreciation are only going to grow from here on out. Doug Walker MIGHT have a small bit to do with that, but he does NOT deserve all the credit.

And, yes, Frollo has ALWAYS been the most talked up bit of the film, since 1996. http://articles.philly.com/1996-06-16/e ... ale-frollo Your argument is invalid.

As for Broadway shows, I agree completely with Disney's Divinity. The Lion King IS the best Broadway show. You have to be fair and admit that, while The Lion King, as a film, is quite overwrought, flawed and vastly overrated, the stage version DID improve upon its source material, fixing big problems and making a real spectacle at the same time. The added songs were BETTER than the original score. The Madness of King Scar, Shadowland and They Live In You were both 100 times better than anything in the actual film. Beauty and the Beast, while a superior film, had an awful stage show. The Ashman/Menken songs are, still, amazing. But they couldn't save the show from those turgid Tim Rice diddies that actively RUINED some of the most beautiful moments of the film. I watched the stage show for the first time and it got to the scene where Beast lets Belle go, one of the most beautiful and somber moments in the film. A very quiet scene. "I let her go," the Beast says. "Why!?" "...Because I love her." Chilling in how simple and how effective it is. What do we get in the stage version? "If I Can't Love Her!" This big, stupid, clunky, moapy ridiculous song that saps ALL the emotion out of the scene like a vacuum and has the audience checking their watch. When the Beast DIES they PUT AN AWFUL FUCKING SONG THERE as if beating us over the head with how 'sad' we're supposed to feel! I was angry. ANGRY watching it. It completely destroyed EVERYTHING that was beautiful about that moment. So, yeah. Beauty and the Beast's stage show kind of sucked balls, actually. And don't get me fucking started on The Little Mermaid...
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

ProfessorRatigan wrote:
I'm sorry, but that is COMPLETE bullshit. The film has ALWAYS had its fans and its champions. And it's ALWAYS been popular among a certain segment of the population who grew up with it.
Compared to the likes of The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King ? I don't think so. And why do you think that when HOND comes out on DVD and Bluray that the extras are so short ? Because of low sales.

ProfessorRatigan wrote: Doug Walker gets way too much fucking credit.
But he did help HOND and Frollo gain more attention and he did help let Hellfire and Frollo get more well known around the media. He helped Frollo get gain attention and praise. Alot.
ProfessorRatigan wrote: I live in rural Arkansas. I graduated high school in 2009. In my freshmen and sophomore years, ALL of my friends and acquaintances had heard of it, had seen it and loved it just as much as I did. We talked about it, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and, yes, The Lion King ad nauseam.
Good for you ? I didn't mean that HOND was completely forgotten just not as well loved or praised as say Beauty and the Beast.

ProfessorRatigan wrote: Doug Walker did most certainly NOT foment every shred of appreciation for this film and it is insulting to fans like me, who have fought for this film since day one, to suggest that that is the case.
You can't deny that he did help HOND and Frollo and the song Hellfire gain more attention. And again, good for you ?
ProfessorRatigan wrote: I view it as akin to Alice in Wonderland and Fantasia. Both were written-off when they first came out. Both were 'forgotten.' But the people who loved them kept them alive, kept championing them and, eventually, the general public came to a consensus that they were masterpieces. Hunchback is, in my opinion, on a similar path.
Well let's so hope so. HOND does deserve more love.
ProfessorRatigan wrote: Doug Walker MIGHT have a small bit to do with that, but he does NOT deserve all the credit.
Well yeah, of course. But imo he did help in the movie's and Frollo's case, quite a bit. That is my opinion and I hope that you can respect that.
ProfessorRatigan wrote: And, yes, Frollo has ALWAYS been the most talked up bit of the film, since 1996. http://articles.philly.com/1996-06-16/e ... ale-frollo Your argument is invalid.
Rigghht. That article came out the same year as the movie. What article about HOND and Frollo's villan persona has been done since then ?

Yeah, no.
ProfessorRatigan wrote: As for Broadway shows, I agree completely with Disney's Divinity. The Lion King IS the best Broadway show. You have to be fair and admit that
Yeah no. I honestly prefer B & B so much better, and yeah no. I'm not going to admit that it's "the best " when in my eyes, it's not.
ProfessorRatigan wrote: What do we get in the stage version? "If I Can't Love Her!" This big, stupid, clunky, moapy ridiculous song that saps ALL the emotion out of the scene like a vacuum and has the audience checking their watch.
Again, opinions. And I love that song btw.
ProfessorRatigan wrote: When the Beast DIES they PUT AN AWFUL FUCKING SONG THERE
Uhm, hello ? It's a MUSICAL. They are going to add in more songs ! Duh ! And the song being awful is again, your opinion !

ProfessorRatigan wrote: as if beating us over the head with how 'sad' we're supposed to feel! I was angry. ANGRY watching it. It completely destroyed EVERYTHING that was beautiful about that moment.
Cool Story Bro

ProfessorRatigan wrote: So, yeah. Beauty and the Beast's stage show kind of sucked balls, actually.
Oh le gods. This is a whole " STOP HATING WHAT I LOVE AND START LIKING WHAT I LOVE RANT " ! Again for the 10000 x time, that's is YOUR opinion.

Btw if you don't want your preferred "thing " to loose, then get online during the day, everyday and vote it up ! And it's only a online game ! And if some prefer something else to your " thing " then you should respect that ! Because that is THEIR opinion !
They are most likely wishing that their " thing " would win just as bad as your " thing " !

Who and who gives a flying Fantasia whether I think that Doug helped Frollo gain more attention ? That is my opinion, and only that small, simple, human, innocent thing. So calm down.