Worst 10 disney characters

Polls and games that do not call for discussion.
megareldontas

Worst 10 disney characters

Post by megareldontas »

I couldn't see a thread called this so i thought i'd make one if you HAD to pick who would be your worst 10 disney characters?

10. Phoebus
9. Manny
8. Dash
7. The Sultan
6. Kaa
5. The Walrus (a.i.w)
4. Jumba
3. Smee
2. Waternoose
1. Hannah Montana :x although i do like the programme i don't like her hehe :lol:
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

I'm gonna disagree with the Sultan. I like him and think he's pretty cute/funny.

(Cute in the "Aww, look at the funny old man" cute)

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

xxhplinkxx wrote:I'm gonna disagree with the Sultan. I like him and think he's pretty cute/funny.

(Cute in the "Aww, look at the funny old man" cute)
I agree.

I also hugely disagree with The Walrus, if we're talking about the original 1951 Alice in Wonderland. And Smee. And Kaa. Unless Mega is refering to them being used in some worthless sequel.

I clearly don't have any kind of list prepared, so I'll wing what I can and THIS MAY CHANGE later. Be aware.

1. Vixey - Fox and the Hound. I don't care what anyone says about that movie. It stinks, it's condescending, it completely lacks magic, it's like Bambi from hell - all naturalism, no fantasy (other than the same-old talking animals). Reuses themes entirely from past films to no interesting affect (Tod and Vixey in the forest is cleary Bambi and Faline, Tod can't find a peaceful place to sleep the night is clearly Bongo's bad night in Fun and Fancy Free, the hunters / man in the enemy - Bambi, big bad bear attack - Fun and Fancy Free, foxes falling in love - Robin Hood, matchmaker character hooking-up singles in the forest - Fantasia, wacky car chase / pursuit - 101 Dalmatians & The Rescuers, abandoned baby / child - The Rescuers, chicken coop chaos - Lady and the Tramp, changing seasons & hybernation - Bambi, worm / caterpillar crawling up away from predator - The Sword in the Stone, worm / caterpillar eating - Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too... more I'm sure).

And all the voices of the 3 main adult animal characters were done horribly (Big Mama may have more screentime, but she's a supporting character to Vixey when she becomes the love-interest). I said this before and I'm not taking it back anytime soon. So, it's no surprise that I also nominate:

2. Adult Tod
&
3. Adult Copper - Fox and the Hound. I found all 3 characters supremely weak and neither their animation nor voice-actor performances made me want to continue watching the film.

4. Mr. Toad - The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad. This one may illicit some groans. But his character was so obnoxious, and also so weak in Disney's adaptation, that all I wanted was to see him lose in the story. He was worse than Pinocchio when it came to irresponsibility. And yeah he was framed, but Pinocchio went through pure torture because of simple mistakes. It wasn't because he was bad. He just didn't understand. Toad here- his story began before we start watching the movie, so maybe people like him because of the stories this was taken from. Not only that, but the tone of his voice was so irritating. He was energetic, but that doesn't mean the bad things he did should be forgiven so easily. It's basically because he took everything as a joke that he skates by so unharmed in the movie. Well, in real life, people like that often meet bad ends. And I would have prefered a bad end for Toad. But yeah, other than his actions- his obnoxiousness and his voice really drove me crazy.

5. Bobby Driscoll's unnamed character - Melody Time. Now, this is the prime example of an annoying boy character. Because back in the 1940's, he was clearly an accurate voice of little boys at the time. Now, it's not just outdated, it's revealing of the character's strong insecurities. And... he's only onscreen for a couple minutes. We shouldn't have to be thinking about something this bizarrely out of place if we want to able to enjoy the film as true fantasy. It slows the film down. For me, actually- it stops the film entirely in its' tracks.

6. Song of the South - all the Br'ers: Fox, Bear, and Rabbit. As I said before, and it's true, the portrayals of these characters are not just stereotypical, they're offensive. And the voices used couldn't have been perpetuating more negative stereotypes through the characteristics of each voice. But we know now only too well how incredibly innaccurate those voices are of black people. I wouldn't be surprised if I found out the actors were doing over-the-top performances just to give Disney what they wanted. What they wanted was clearly void of substance in a positive way.

Also, before the true controversy of the film as I understand it happening during the film's 1980's re-release, an episode of The Jeffersons from the 1st season also pointed the film out in a negative way. Straight from the mouth of a black person. So, I don't want to hear anymore stuff on this. I believe in a way, the film's VIDEO history (or lack thereof aside), I will only accept a black person telling me the film isn't offensive.

7. This next one is only my opinion, but:

Make Mine Music - Sonja the bird and Ivan the cat. I found their coloring / color choices downright revolting. Just plain ugly. And if anyone else can get away with saying The Rescuers or Robin Hood are inferior films because of their animation, I think I'm at liberty to take a few big points away from these characters because they don't look so great. Sasha the Duck isn't much better looking either.

8. Lefou - Beauty and the Beast. This character's dufus-like presense just recalls a 4th-rate at best imitation of Mr. Smee to Gaston's Captain Hook. Or, Creeper to Gaston's Horned King. His voice especially is Creeper, only with less personality than Phil Fondacaro, and without the entertain dangerous side to his cluelessness that Smee had. Basically, Pee Wee Herman's Paul Rubins could have done better than this and his animation only makes him look like a male version of the giggling woman from the Sleepy Hollow portion of Ichabod & Mr. Toad who wanted to dance with Brom. He has no real personality that we haven't seen before done better elsewhere. Yet, somehow he ends up crucially affecting the plot. Mindless work on behalf of the Disney team, who've done much better.

9. Every character in Cars - I have nothing nice to say about that thing.

10. The Fairies - The Black Cauldron. I still think the movie is very good and I like it a lot. But, the sequence with the fairies underground / underwater (don't remember which) always makes me think something bad is about to happen. It's an anxious scene and I kind of think it slows the movie down unnecessarily. And, I found the children characters in The Secret of Nihm, which I know isn't Disney, to be much more rewarding for the time spent watching them. So I guess I have that taint on my enjoyment of this scene.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Lazario wrote:4. Mr. Toad - The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad. This one may illicit some groans. But his character was so obnoxious, and also so weak in Disney's adaptation, that all I wanted was to see him lose in the story. He was worse than Pinocchio when it came to irresponsibility. And yeah he was framed, but Pinocchio went through pure torture because of simple mistakes. It wasn't because he was bad. He just didn't understand. Toad here- his story began before we start watching the movie, so maybe people like him because of the stories this was taken from. Not only that, but the tone of his voice was so irritating. He was energetic, but that doesn't mean the bad things he did should be forgiven so easily. It's basically because he took everything as a joke that he skates by so unharmed in the movie. Well, in real life, people like that often meet bad ends. And I would have prefered a bad end for Toad. But yeah, other than his actions- his obnoxiousness and his voice really drove me crazy
I'd guess you'd like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for Toady is sent to hell in the end for his misdeeds. I personally adore Toad and his eccentric nature and Eric Blore's voice for him. True, if he were a real person he would/should be punished for his deeds but in the environment of the movie he becomes likable because he has the ability to get him and his friends int some pretty crazy adventures (which makes you feel sorry for ratty, Mole and MacBadger) all while having alot of fun (as you can see when he escapes from jail or rides around the countryside with Cyril). I can't compare it too the book but all I knows is I love the Disney feature he's in (both parts) and because Toad is in a relative minority of wacky/irresponsible Disney characters I think it's fine to have an exception of this kind.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

1. Every Character in Brother Bear. There is no point in separating them as each is just as annoying and unwatchable as the next.

2. The Villain in Home on the Range. No I don't remember his name, nor do I care to. He is made of lose and that's all that matters.

3. Snow White. Oh the shrill! That and she is completely incompetent and I hate her!

4. Tigger. The reason "Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree" if my favourite Pooh short. No Tigger. Annoying, unnecessary and voice that rivals Snow White's in terms of "makes me want to shove metal spikes into my ears"-ness.

5. The Vultures in The Jungle Book. Without them I think the Jungle Book would be a much tighter movie.

6. Ichabod Crane - Nothing about him makes me want to continue watching the movie.

7. Thumper. Some people think he is cute. I think he is annoying.

8. Alice. She infuriates me. I'm not sure why, she just does.

9. Kronk. Can't Yzma just kill him instead of Kuzco?

10. The cast of Robin Hood. I might actually like them if they all weren't rehashes (both visually and in voice) of older, better characters. This film epitomizes laziness at the Disney Studio as far as I'm concerned.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Widdi wrote:3. Snow White. Oh the shrill! That and she is completely incompetent and I hate her!

4. Tigger. The reason "Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree" if my favourite Pooh short. No Tigger. Annoying, unnecessary and voice that rivals Snow White's in terms of "makes me want to shove metal spikes into my ears"-ness.

5. The Vultures in The Jungle Book. Without them I think the Jungle Book would be a much tighter movie.

6. Ichabod Crane - Nothing about him makes me want to continue watching the movie.

7. Thumper. Some people think he is cute. I think he is annoying.

8. Alice. She infuriates me. I'm not sure why, she just does.

10. The cast of Robin Hood. I might actually like them if they all weren't rehashes (both visually and in voice) of older, better characters. This film epitomizes laziness at the Disney Studio as far as I'm concerned.
That was hilarious! Thank you. That's my biggest laugh of the day. 8) :D
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sometimes I read through other posts when I can't think of ten, and I agree with Lazario on Vixey. I didn't remember her right off, but OMG how annoying. She made me hate the second half of that movie.

And Widdi, I had already wrote the exact same thing about Brother Bear before I'd read your post! :lol: I despise that movie so much.

Anyway:

1. Jasmine ~ I don't know quite why it is I dislike this character. Maybe it's because, out of all their females/princesses, she's the one that speaks the most feministic ("I'm not a prize to be won!") and totally contradicts herself in her actions.
2. Vixey
3. Any character from Brother Bear
4. BEN from Treasure Planet ~ I have a feeling he might be better if he wasn't always prattling on about what he can't remember and was given a less annoying voice.
5. The Dwarfs from Snow White
6. Clayton from Tarzan ~ The most boring villain ever, which is a huge achievement when you think of Edgar from The Aristocats.
7. Sir Ector from The Sword in the Stone ~ He does kind of have a charm to him at moments, but he's so stereotypically masculine. I know that was intended (seeing from Merlin's pov), but it's still annoying. So, I guess they did a good job there.
8. Lilo ~ I can definitely understand that Lilo's been through a lot and is still a child, but that whole scene where she's nailed the door shut and lies to the Child Care official really pisses me off.
9. Henwen from The Black Cauldron ~ All that pig-squealing gives me a headache. And she doesn't really have as much use in the movie as she does in the books.
10. Horace & Jasper from 101 Dalmatians ~ They're boring to watch, and they kind of offset Cruella a bit (although they add to her at moments, too).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Disney's Divinity wrote:1. Jasmine ~ I don't know quite why it is I dislike this character. Maybe it's because, out of all their females/princesses, she's the one that speaks the most feministic ("I'm not a prize to be won!") and totally contradicts herself in her actions.
2. Vixey
3. Any character from Brother Bear
4. BEN from Treasure Planet ~ I have a feeling he might be better if he wasn't always prattling on about what he can't remember and was given a less annoying voice.
5. The Dwarfs from Snow White
6. Clayton from Tarzan ~ The most boring villain ever, which is a huge achievement when you think of Edgar from The Aristocats.
7. Sir Ector from The Sword in the Stone ~ He does kind of have a charm to him at moments, but he's so stereotypically masculine. I know that was intended (seeing from Merlin's pov), but it's still annoying. So, I guess they did a good job there.
8. Lilo ~ I can definitely understand that Lilo's been through a lot and is still a child, but that whole scene where she's nailed the door shut and lies to the Child Care official really pisses me off.
9. Henwen from The Black Cauldron ~ All that pig-squealing gives me a headache. And she doesn't really have as much use in the movie as she does in the books.
10. Horace & Jasper from 101 Dalmatians ~ They're boring to watch, and they kind of offset Cruella a bit (although they add to her at moments, too).
I kind of agree with you on the Dwarfs in Snow White. Most of them just looked the same and didn't have much personality. But I thought Doc and Grumpy were great, and Dopey was good too. Heck, that movie even manages to build up a fair sense of dread when Grumpy warns Snow White so sternly about making sure not to let anyone in the house. It's also amusing to me how Disney also did that thing, based on this danger, the part of Don't Talk to Strangers about the kids had people they didn't know trying to get into their house... Like 50 years after this film, they know what's scary. Anyone, there would be no dread without the Dwarfs' being so overcautious.

But about Sir Ector, I don't think we're meant to take him seriously at all. So I never did.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I wonder why this thread isn't in the Disney Discussion Forum. It's not a poll, it's not a game and it would garner a lot more replies if it went there, I think.

I'll add my own choices later.
Disney's Divinity wrote:1. Jasmine ~ I don't know quite why it is I dislike this character. Maybe it's because, out of all their females/princesses, she's the one that speaks the most feministic ("I'm not a prize to be won!") and totally contradicts herself in her actions.
What's wrong with Jasmine's dialogue? Why is it bad to 'speak feministic'? (*Can* someone even 'speak feministic'?) And where did she contradict herself?
Disney's Divinity wrote:5. The Dwarfs from Snow White
Okay, you lost me here. Disney's first believable animated characters, as far as I'm concerned.
Disney's Divinity wrote:8. Lilo ~ I can definitely understand that Lilo's been through a lot and is still a child, but that whole scene where she's nailed the door shut and lies to the Child Care official really pisses me off.
Er... the film doesn't work if Lilo isn't behaving like she does.
Disney's Divinity

I could be wrong, but I thought this thread was more of a "least favorite" kind of thread, not a "who was an unnecessary detriment to their film" one. If it's the latter, I apologize. If it's the former, then I think I have the right to dislike any character I want without having to defend myself. Not that I would waste my time "debating" with you in any case.

And I think these types of threads get stuck in P&G for the most part because people rarely discuss and mostly just give lists. Of course, I don't run the site, so I can't really give you a definitive answer. :oops:
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I could be wrong, but I thought this thread was more of a "least favorite" kind of thread, not a "who was an unnecessary detriment to their film" one. If it's the latter, I apologize. If it's the former, then I think I have the right to dislike any character I want without having to defend myself. Not that I would waste my time "debating" with you in any case.
What's up with all the "it's my right" and "I don't have to defend myself" on this board? Why does everybody react this hostile whenever a simple question is being asked? Nobody is attacking you, so you don't need to defend anything. Grow up already.
Disney's Divinity

Goliath wrote: What's up with all the "it's my right" and "I don't have to defend myself" on this board? Why does everybody react this hostile whenever a simple question is being asked? Nobody is attacking you, so you don't need to defend anything. Grow up already.
And you've just proven why exactly I would never debate with you. You seem incapable of responding without becoming antagonistic--which is why I don't care to reply to you at all (and I'll have to try and resist the temptation after this).
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I could be wrong, but I thought this thread was more of a "least favorite" kind of thread, not a "who was an unnecessary detriment to their film" one. If it's the latter, I apologize. If it's the former, then I think I have the right to dislike any character I want without having to defend myself. Not that I would waste my time "debating" with you in any case.
It's either. It's whatever you want it to be. Because personally, I feel all the characters I mentioned are detriments in some way.

And on the Goliath thing, I'm sure that poster means well, but I advise you to not respond to that person. At all. They are the King-Defender of Disney's Honor and will throttle you again and again if you say anything they don't agree with. I'm sure that's deserving of our respect, but at the same time we can't talk to that kind of person. Like talking to a brick wall.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney's Divinity wrote:And you've just proven why exactly I would never debate with you. You seem incapable of responding without becoming antagonistic--which is why I don't care to reply to you at all (and I'll have to try and resist the temptation after this).
Becoming antagonistic? You are the one beginning with: "I have the right... I don't need to defend myself" etc. When have you ever debated with me? One time, about Brokeback Mountain. There were 3 people agreeing with me and not with you. Are going to excommunicate those other people too?

Honestly, I asked you why you don't like the Seven Dwarfs. Am I not allowed to ask that question without getting attacked?
Lazario wrote:And on the Goliath thing, I'm sure that poster means well, but I advise you to not respond to that person. At all. They are the King-Defender of Disney's Honor and will throttle you again and again if you say anything they don't agree with. I'm sure that's deserving of our respect, but at the same time we can't talk to that kind of person. Like talking to a brick wall.
I would appreciate it if you stay out of this. This is not between you and me. And you shouldn't judge me, since you don't know me. You say I'm "King-Defender of Disney's Honor". What a preposterous thing to say. What does that even mean? :?

Look, we had a discussion in one thread and we didn't agree. Why do you have to hold a grudge over a silly thing like that? I don't hold a grudge against anyone.

I asked Disney's Divinity a question. Bad, bad me. I should be punished by getting flamed... :roll:
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Goliath wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:And you've just proven why exactly I would never debate with you. You seem incapable of responding without becoming antagonistic--which is why I don't care to reply to you at all (and I'll have to try and resist the temptation after this).
Becoming antagonistic? You are the one beginning with: "I have the right... I don't need to defend myself" etc.
You kind of took that out of context Goliath, Divinity is saying he has the right to dislike whatever characters he wants and that he shouldn't have to defend his opinions on why he doesn't like them.

Also, you became antagonistic when you told him to "Grow up already"

As for my list, in no particular order: Some are subject to change simply due to the fact I may not have seen their movie in a while.

1. Rutt and Tuke - Though I've never seen Brother Bear, the commercials I've seen of them just make me hate them especially with all the "Eh" crap

2. Lilo - I just find it hard to like her, yeah she's been through a lot of crap but she needs to move on and make things work better instead of act like a little brat. All she does is make things worse for herself and Nani.

3. Any princess except Cinderella.

4. Mushu - Simply for his voice actor alone. God I hate Eddie Murphy, totally ruins the character for me.

5. B.E.N - Much for the same reasons as Divinity

6. Alameda Slim - Worst. Villain. Ever. Seriously, he's a yodeling cowboy hardly a good villain compared to others, Tremaine, Maleficent, Jafar etc.

I'll be back later on with some more if I can think of them.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Goliath wrote:Am I not allowed to ask that question without getting attacked?
Who's playing the victim now??

I know I promised to never reply to you again, but this was definitely worth getting involved in. I shall now resume my No-Talking-to-Goliath policy.

About, however, is a different matter entirely.

Chernabog_Rocks wrote:You kind of took that out of context Goliath, Divinity is saying he has the right to dislike whatever characters he wants and that he shouldn't have to defend his opinions on why he doesn't like them.

Also, you became antagonistic when you told him to "Grow up already".
Exactly. Divinity and I have been disagreeing strongly in at least 2 different topics right now and we've both been handling it very maturely. Nor have either one of us felt the need to start whining about "flaming" and accusing the other of attacking.
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Some least favourite characters:

Victor and Hugo from Hunchback of Notre Dame.They are so obnoxious and they make all kinds of stupid remarks all the time. Quasimode must be really lonely to keep these two as friends. I can tolerate the third gargoyle, Laverne, a little better because she actually shows some sense and real concern for Quasi.

Professor Porter - Tarzan Disney has a thing with silly childishly stupid fathers. The sultan is one example, but professor Porter is the worst. I don't like the way he is drawn either. How come he got such a cute daughter as Jane?
If it were up to me he would have gone back to England and let Tarzan and Jane live together in peace in the jungle with the gorillas. :P

TinkerBell - I just don't like her.

O.k. I don't have 10 right now, maybe I'll complete the list later.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

BelleGirl wrote:Some least favourite characters:

Victor and Hugo from Hunchback of Notre Dame.They are so obnoxious and they make all kinds of stupid remarks all the time. Quasimode must be really lonely to keep these two as friends. I can tolerate the third gargoyle, Laverne, a little better because she actually shows some sense and real concern for Quasi.

Professor Porter - Tarzan Disney has a thing with silly childishly stupid fathers. The sultan is one example, but professor Porter is the worst. I don't like the way he is drawn either. How come he got such a cute daughter as Jane?
If it were up to me he would have gone back to England and let Tarzan and Jane live together in peace in the jungle with the gorillas. :P

TinkerBell - I just don't like her.
Completely agree. I kind of think Tink redeems herself by film's end, though. But for me to like her, she would have had to apologize to Wendy. Sincerely. I don't think she ever sees the error of her ways by film's end.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Chernabog_Rocks wrote:You kind of took that out of context Goliath, Divinity is saying he has the right to dislike whatever characters he wants and that he shouldn't have to defend his opinions on why he doesn't like them.
Thereby implying I somehow want to take that right away from him, implying I make him having to defend himself... Which is of course not in the least true. Even if I wanted such a thing (and honestly, why would I want that?), how would I do that? How would I take his right away? :D
Chernabog_Rocks wrote:Also, you became antagonistic when you told him to "Grow up already"
Yes, you're right. I shouln't have said that. If Disney's Divinity is reading this: I apologize. My only defense is that I (as in: I personally) find it a bit childish that remarks like "I have the right to..." are used by forum members whenever someone else doesn't agree with them.

It's a discussion forum, right? We don't have to agree all the time.

And to end this whole 'drama' in a more cheerful mood: here is George Carlin talking about 'rights':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tWu045T7K0
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

My least favorite characters (feel extremely welcome to strongly disagree and questionmy choices):

1. Timon & Pumbaa (The Lion King)

They're simply not funny. Why they ever got their own television series is beyond me. All they do is make fart-jokes, burp a lot or perform otherwise disgusting acts. Not really the kind of refined humor Disney was once known for. (I somehow remember me and Lazario agreeing on this topic.)

2. Amelia & Abigal Gabble and Uncle Waldo (The Aristocats)

Very annoying babbling characters just rambling on without ever stopping to take a breath of air. They aren't needed in the story at all. All they do is stopping all the action. They contribute nothing and it's a pain to sit through their scenes.

3. All the princes (save Eric)

Dull, boring, what else can I say? Even Milt Kahl resented having to animate one (Prince Philip). I realize they're needed for the stories to work, and yes, the girls are the protagonists. But couldn't Disney have done more to convince us the princes are worth the princesses' love? At least they did a good job on Eric. He's the only one of whom we get a good idea what kind of person he is.

4. Victor, Hugo & Laverne (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)

I didn't pick them because the (kind of) humor they bring into the film is uncalled for. A lot of people are disturbed this dark Disney tale is interrupted numerous times by, what they call, Disney catering to the kiddies with comedic sidekicks. I don't have a problem with the concept of humor in the film, and I think the comedy provides a nice balance to the darker themes. However, I do have a problem with the characters themselves, because they are not in any way original. They're very generic, very average, nothing makes them stand out from other Disney sidekicks. It's just a rehash of previous comedic characters. Even their design is lazy.

I'm trying hard to think of more...