The UK Announcement Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Re: The UK Announcement Thread

Post by Atlantica »

MeerkatKombat, look what I've found! Under £10 !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... UTF8&psc=1
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I have bought something like 11 Disney DVDs/blus in about three weeks.
I'll hold off for two weeks and probably give in. Under a tenner is a great price and it's one of my favs.

Why is the US blu of Mulan better? I got the UK release but I kept the 2 disc DVD.
I don't like having the DAC's packaged with their sequels unless the sequel is a DAC.

EDIT: I lasted less than TWO sodding hours.
I am putting this away when it arrives for several months.
For all purposes, I'm blaming this purchase on you Atlantica :)
Shouldn't have shown me the Amazon link
Last edited by MeerkatKombat on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I'm vapid …. I go on prettiness of covers - I cannot fathom the fact that Disney are issuing their blu rays with ancient VHS covers. I know the US one has the basis of the VHS edition, but it has been altered…I just prefer it. I'm odd that way! I especially like Lilo and Stitch US Blu.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

^The UK Mulan has the ancient VHS cover. (One of my favourites along with TLM cover - sans phalic tower)

I got a nice list of US Disney blu's I need to get now.
Disney is the only company where I will actually invest more to have the film on blu. Other than that, I'm happy with the DVD format.
Disney is also the only company where I will actually buy the film full price and not wait until it drops to under a fiver.

That is love for you.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Long quote but interesting vault developments for the UK. What we were all expecting at this point. Brother Dobby quote.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... &page=1622
I emailed Disney UK about upcoming releases and got some interesting responses.

First on Bedknobs & Broomsticks, The Black Cauldron, Ichabod & Mr. Toad and Atlantis: The Lost Empire, which I was personally curious about:

Quote:
Unfortunately, these titles are not currently on release in the UK on Blu-ray format and we have no planned release dates for them at the moment on Blu-ray.
So now they're saying that Black Cauldron isn't scheduled for release. Here's hoping this changes soon.

However...

Quote:
However, we are delighted to confirm that Snow White and Sleeping Beauty are both due for release on Blu-ray in June 2014, although the date is subject to change. We are also happy to confirm that Beauty and the Beast is due for release in August 2014, again the date is subject to change.

So yeah, in short it does seem like the vault isn't going to be in effect in the UK anymore.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I kinda want to pick up SB, SW and BatB all over again. I've got all of these on blu in the past eight months. So a good two year wait will be in order. I can't believe it is as early as June for SW and August for BatB.

I would hope that we get BatB 3D as I would like to own it. Disney have gone cold on 3D lately so I won't be holding my breath.
I may pick up the Italian release if it doesn't come to light. I don't have 3D but maybe one day. I have zero interest in it except this.

I wonder if they will be limited releases. If they are ditching the vault, I see no point in putting them away again for seven years.

It is the end of an era.
I also wonder if NA will follow suit when the Diamond line ends over there.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Haha, I'm sorry MeerkatKombat … I've become an enabler !!

But you will have this purchase for EVER, and will be able to share it with you loved ones for years to come.

……until the next type of home release comes along :wink:
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I don't see myself going digital. I like something to hold. Something I'm not scared of being wiped with my computer or a website disappearing.

Maybe we'll go back to VHS because you can't lose them and scratch them. Much kinder for children's hands. Great for building hamster forts.

EDIT: OMG I'M SPECIAL EDITION NOW :pink:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I know I'm the same, I like the physical presence of a Bluray. Like, I can't have a kindle or anything as I like something physical to hold as well, and I can't bare to gaze at a screen all the time.

Yay for Special Edition, whoop whoop!
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

In a way I'm glad they are releasing classics from the vault (I can complete my collection sooner :D) but at the same time I think they should've seen the Diamond line through to the end like the platinum instead of partially through the line before doing away with the vault completely.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

But that would give the Disney Home Release department cohesion, and we all know how they don't like to break with tradition ... :lol:
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

http://direct.asda.com/Sleeping-Beauty- ... lt,pd.html

Sleeping Beauty BD is a tenner on Asda Direct. So probably a good place to pick it up if you want it.

I hope the Lion King is re-released this year so I can get it on blu. Something good might as well come out of this 'end of vault' policy.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Wow, that is mighty cheap.

And its a totally vanilla disc affair ? Nothing noteworthy ?
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I thought that it was the first disc of the platinum. So pretty empty but not totally without bonus features. I couldn't confirm either way. I'm just assuming.
I though Snow White would be up on amazon by now as it's supposed to be re-released in June as well.

Great Mouse Detective turned up. I didn't realise US Disney BD have a smaller spine and no numbering. That has slightly annoyed me.
But I got a slipcover. I'll likely print off a numbered spine like I did for SB and Pinocchio.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleeping-Beauty ... ing+beauty

£10 on amazon.co.uk too.

The DVD is £2.50 more expensive. Because logic.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

It isn't that price anymore darn it !
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Does anyone else collect the Zavvi exclusive UK steelbooks? Pinocchio and Hercules will be the next 2 (they're yet to go live)...

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/pinocchio- ... 07485.html

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/hercules-z ... 07486.html
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I never collected the steel books which is a shame because they are lovely. Some of them are really nice but I feel I've missed too many to start collecting them and it would mean dishing more money. I'd love to have them but only for Disney films. I barely buy films from other studios let alone think about paying more for a steel book.

I own some of the DVD/book collector's sets they did. I adore them. I have these ones:
Beauty and the Beast
Jungle Book
101 Dalmatians
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White - both the Platinum and Diamond sets
I also have the three US collectors sets for Lion King, Aladdin and Cinderella.

France got book sets for Hercules/Pinocchio and probably others. Wish I could read French.

If SB gets a steelbook with the upcoming release I'll think about it.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

The book collections were totally gorgeous - especially Sleeping Beauty, replicating the story book from the film. Stunning.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Turns out I won't need to get TLK on blu when moratorium ends.
Boyfriend surprised me with it yesterday. With slipcover...because Disney films with slipcovers means true love, people.

I actually have no interest in obtaining slipcovers now but I won't say no to them if they land on my lap.

Getting quite excited about moratorium ending now. I'm hoping Disney films will now rapidly plummet in price due to them flooding the market and I can get some good second-hand gems.
However, it also means the films I already own lose value but as I wouldn't sell them that isn't such a major concern. I do find that even films like FatH that have been out continually still hold a mid value of about £4-6. I don't know if that will change.

What is the consensus with the upcoming Sleeping Beauty release? I would have got it for the artwork alone - when she was in her Briar Rose dress. Now that's been taken away, I'm less sure. I'd like to know what extra bonus features the US will get (if any) so I can decide whether to get it or not.