Favorite Character, Scene and Song in Pocahontas

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Favorite Character, Scene and Song in Pocahontas

Post by Mooky »

Character: Nakoma and Meeko. Meeko made me fall in love with raccoons; I've wanted one for a pet ever since I saw the film. Nakoma is the only human character in the film that doesn't annoy me at one point or another, maybe because she's a fairly realistic character (flaws and all) and shows regret over her actions which were done out of actual concern for her friend and not as some act of villainy like it might have happened in another movie.

Scene: "Clouds. Strange clouds." scene; "Colors of the Wind"; "Savages"; "Farewell" sequence.

Song: "Just Around the Riverbend" and "If I Never Knew You".

Post away :).
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Re: Favorite Character, Scene and Song in Pocahontas

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Character: Pocahontas. I don't know why but I love nearly everything about her. Visually, I think she is stunning. I loved both her speaking and singing voice. She just kinda hit the nail on the head. I wish she appeared on more merchandise but with Glen Keane's perfect animation and not the clip art that makes me want to vomit.

Scene: Pocahontas and Nakoma playing under the upturned canoe, Colours of the Wind, Pocahontas saving John Smith and of course, Farewell. I just love this film as a whole really despite its flaws.

Song: This is a film where I find it very difficult to pick a song. Pocahontas had gorgeous songs and 'Just around the Riverbend', 'Colours of the Wind' and 'If I never knew you' are on near constant rotation on my ipod. If I had to choose I guess it would be 'If I Never Knew you' as although the extended scene in the hut didn't necessarily do much for me, the song took the film to another level.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Fave character: Pocahontas. Simply a gorgeous, stunning design; interesting that she's almost the polar opposite of Ariel, another favorite from another film, and of course designed by the same artist. :) Outside of her, I always loved Nakoma. Interestingly enough, she always reminded me a lot of my best friend from high school.

Fave song: It was always Just Around the Riverbend until I saw If I Never Knew You inserted back into the film. So, so disappointing that it wasn't included on the Blu-ray, which became the first glaring omission in my upgraded collection. :(

Fave scene: The finale of If I Never Knew You; I love how it calls back to the finale of Just Around the Riverbend with Pocahontas pondering the reflection of a potential significant other.

I also love the finale of the film itself, when the wind passes through Pocahontas's hair, the music swells, and we travel with the wind to John Smith on the ship signing goodbye. Pocahontas stands proud and strong, signing her goodbye as well.

Oh, and I also love the shot of Listen With Your Heart with the line, "let it break upon you like a wave upon the sand."

BRB, gotta go put the DVD on now.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Character: Pocahontas. I've always found her to be the "strongest" female character Disney's created, and they still haven't topped her, imo. I love her warm, reserved personality, and of course I love Judy Kuhn's performance. Besides her, the only other characters from this film I really like are Thomas and Grandmother Willow. Wiggins is the best of the comedic characters (although I like the non-speaking approach to the animals).

Scene: Even though it's not my favorite song from the film, the scene going along with "Colors of the Wind" is pretty epic. After that, my other favorite is the very ending, where Pocahontas slowly begins to run to the cliff and then waves to John Smith; the score is beautiful. I also love the scene where Pocahontas is talking to Grandmother Willow before John Smith's execution day and then "Savages (reprise)."

Song: "Just Around the Riverbend." Judy Kuhn is still my favorite singing voice of the non-villain characters Disney's created.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Character: Pocahontas (I love that she's playful, spirtual [the wind, Grandmother Willow, the compass], torn [between two worlds, in a way, but always faithful to her wanting of the two worlds to accept each other], she's very loyal), , John Smith (he's very adventurous and becomes very curious about Pocahontas and her world), Thomas (he has so much to learn, but he really tries and does what he thinks he should...I would love to see how he turned out, you know?) (and Meeko, Flit, & Percy)

Scene: It's one of my favorite films, so it's hard to choose, but it's beautiful when Pocahontas and John Smith meet, anything with Thomas in it, Pocahontas and John Smith learning about each others' cultures, Meeko and Percy in the bathtub (and then again at the end of the film, getting along)

Song: Another one of my favorite soundtracks...I love "If I Never Knew You," (the in-movie version) and "Just Around the Riverbend" & "Colors of the Wind," and "Mine, Mine, Mine" is great, as are all the songs, really...
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Character: Pocahontas. She dominates her own movie, and rightfully so.

Scene: The finale. Pocahontas and John Smith saying goodbye, Pocahontas running and her and John Smith waving to eachother. The musical score ("Farewell") is so beautiful.

Song: If I Never Knew You. It was a crime that it was removed from the movie. I think the movie would have resonated a lot better with audiences had that scene been kept in the movie. Without it, it seems like something is missing. The song gives the movie heart. And the instrumental music from the song is found throughout the entire movie.

So stupid of Disney not to include the extended version of the movie on the Blu-ray release. At least, I hope the song as it is performed by Judy Kuhn and Mel Gibson will be included on the Pocahontas soundtrack release later this year (the Walt Disney Legacy Collection).

All the songs on this soundtrack are great songs though - Mine, Mine, Mine, Just Around the Riverbend, Colors of the Wind, Savages etc. And this is one of Alan Menken's most sophisticated scores. I do hope that it will be made into a Broadway musical someday!
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

character... a real toughie! i really like wiggans, always have. grandmother willow is another favourite [plus, her voice actor is hetty on NCIS: LA]

scene... the opening which shows the old sepia picture and morphs to the colorised dock scene.

song... just around the river bend. also the opening song which starts with the english sailors and ends with the indian people and their warriors returning. cant think of the name of it right now, but.
big kid at heart
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by VanessaFan »

Favorite Character: Pocahontas. She's just great! I love how in control she is with the earth around her.

Favorite Scene: Oh gosh, this one is hard as there are so many, but one that I always have found interesting is when Pocahontas goes to visit Grandmother Willow for the first time. It's just such a beautiful scene.

Favorite Song: Colors of the Wind! So beautiful. Also the Instrumental Version of the song is really beautiful. 2nd Place is If I Never Knew You!
Vote for YOUR favorite Disney movie here:
https://www.fanpop.com/clubs/walt-disne ... sics-movie
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Favorite character: Pocahontas

Favorite scene: when Pocahontas and John Sith meet each other for the first time at the waterfall.

Favorite song: a tie between Just around the riverbank/ Colors of the wind. Saw 'Pocahontas' again last weekend and I still cannot get 'Colors of the Wind' out of my head. It's maddening.

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/