Rotten Tomatoes best animated movies rankings for 2012

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Gregg

Rotten Tomatoes best animated movies rankings for 2012

Post by Gregg »

Lots of Disney and Pixar representation, as one might anticipate.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/be ... ovies_2012
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Thanks for the link. I can't wait to start browsing through it.
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

Thanks all of top 11 are Disney :)

Theres some shocking positions though, like Simpsons Movie is ahead of the Lion King and Shrek!
RIPJoeRanft
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RIPJoeRanft »

All three Toy Story films in the top 5. Expected yet deserved. Can't they just combine all three into one?

Beauty and the Beast at no. 28 and The Lion King at no. 40? Can't agree with that. Is this list really saying that the likes of Antz (no. 25), Chicken Run (no. 23), and Kiki's Delivery Service (no. 19) are better movies than the two most complete DACs?

A little surprised to see movies I consider consistently average across the board (Hercules, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Corpse Bride, Tarzan) make the list, but I guess everybody's got an opinion on their favorite 75.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

This is mostly based on the Tomatometer, isn't it?

Don't agree with a lot of this list. I notice that my favorite animated movies tend not to be rated super high on RT, usually in the low 90s or high 80s.
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

Don't really agree with this list. Some are too high and some are too low.

I don't really ever agree with the ratings on that site, though.
sweetcake

Post by sweetcake »

Sorry if this sounds rude, but this list is whack. Aladdin, Mermaid,Beauty and the Beast are way better than that. The Simpsons Movie is better than Aladdin ?

No way.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

This is exactly why I take anything Rotten Tomatoes has to say with a grain of salt.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

No offence, but this has no credibilty for me. :headshake:

Rotten Tomatoes is a weak indicator of quality, in more ways than I can begin to describe.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

"Bolt" is not better then "Tarzan."
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

^ Neither is "Kung Fu Panda".

I'm rather okay with the very bottom of the list, and I'm super glad a lot of people apparently think Cinderella is better than Beauty and the Beast...and Sleping Beauty even though everyone used to always think it was for a while...but this list is whack, these people obviously don't get much about movie classics or story structure, and all the Toy Story films making the top 4 is just ridiculously hilarious. Toy Story 2 better than Pinocchio? Get real. And how are The Little Mermaid and The Lion King so low? And A Bug's Life above them?! Except for oddities like that, this really seems to be just some weird popularity contest in which the more recent films are just be rated higher because they're remembered lately.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I'm not sure people understand how this list is working. Basically, RT collate all the critic's reviews. That gives them the 'Tomatometer' rating which is which percentage of the reviews are positive. That, coupled with the number of reviews allows them to create this list. Someone hasn't sat down and suddenly thought that Bolt is better than Tarzan.

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't really dictate how good a movie is (such as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows resting at 98% - uh no, it's a 7/10 movie at best) but whether it's good or bad (and your personal taste comes into it too).

The fact that this list is an 'all-time' one is where it's flaws lie. There are not enough reviews for the older movies or non-mainstream films to place high on the list against films that might have hundreds and hundreds of positive reviews.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

The last part you said is what makes sense for the messed up list. So then one wonders why do this list at all?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

yamiiguy wrote:Rotten Tomatoes doesn't really dictate how good a movie is (such as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows resting at 98% - uh no, it's a 7/10 movie at best)...
Objection!! You are clearly out of your mind sir.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I know, 6.5 at a push. Still, it's pretty great for a Potter film.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

yamiiguy wrote:I know, 6.5 at a push. Still, it's pretty great for a Potter film.
98%. Well deserved.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I don't think this is the right thread to debate the merits ( or otherwise) of Harry Potter and the... I should point out another flaw in RT's system: it doesn't really take into account how positive a review was. If one film had all positive reviews with 7/10 and another all positive reviews with 10/-0 , they would have the same 'tomatometer'.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

@yamiiguy: I know this isn't someone sitting down and deciding that Bolt is better than Tarzan, but it's still flawed for a number of reasons:

-Toy Story 2 doesn't have one hundred percent because every critic thought it was the best animated film of all time. It has one hundred percent because evry critic thought it was a good film. I'm sure most of those critics had nothing but praise for it, but how many of them would consider it to be the best animated film ever? The liked/didn't like system is perfectly acceptable for individual critics to use, but it isn't the way to determine what the best animated film of all time is.

-What if a film recieves some new reviews due to a re-release and it's rating changes? Are these new reviews about content rather than presentation and how can a re-release move a film up or down the grand scale of animated films?

-RT collects reviews without concern for authority or fairness. I could go on a blog I started and write about how I didn't like Arrietty because that crappy John Goodman film turned me off the story of The Borrowers and this could be counted by RT. :roll:

I'm not bashing you, by the way. I just think there are different reasons why Rotten Tomatoes doesn't have much prestige.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

That's what the average rating under the percentage is for. So, while The Secret World of Arrietty has a 93% rating on the Tomatometer, the average rating is 7.6, to give an example.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

maybe we should do our own top animated, but then wouldn't be more influenced by Disney...