Will Disney ever remaster Ichabod and Mr. Toad???

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DEREKG
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DEREKG »

Last night after trick or treating with my son I thought it would be fun to watch a good Halloween movie. My son automaticlly went for Pooh's Huffalump Halloween. :zzz: . I like the movie, I've just seen it too many times! My son's in the pooh phase right now... Anyway, I was scrolling threw my Disney dvd's when I spotted The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. It seemed perfect for Halloween night!! Plus, I have only watched it a few times since buying it a few years ago. They are both great cartoons. In fact, I would have to rate them up there with my favorites! For the most part Ichabod Crane looks decent, but Mr. Toad is very dark and grainy. Overall they both could use better sound and a good cleanup.

So,

Do you think Disney will ever consider remastering this one???
:roll: :roll: :roll:
We can't stop here! This is Bat Country...

--Raoul Duke
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

Well they already restored most of the classics and what not so it wouldn't suprise me.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Probably not.

As much as I LOVE Ichabod/Mr. Toad, the film is not that popular and is probably not going to get a second release anytime soon.

Package films are so underrated! :(
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I'm sure they will. If not for DVD, then the next home video format. It's popular enough to revisit -- it's been in the top few hundred sellers at Amazon the past few days -- plus the current DVD leaves plenty of room for improvement. Throw on some easy to conceive new bonus features and you could have a pretty nice and fairly loaded disc. It may never sell as well as the Platinum titles, but I'm sure if Disney were to announce a re-release for next Halloween, we'd see dozens of posts here saying "I haven't picked up the Gold Collection DVD yet, so this is good news" or "I've never seen this - is it any good?" (to which the answer is a resounding yes), as well as the hundreds stating "I could make a better cover" and "It better have a reversible slipcover!"
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I must be easy to please because I like the release just the way it is. The two stories are essential watching for Halloween and I think that the Gold Collection series has enough extras to keep anyone busy. Plus how many can tell me what the hidden easter egg reveals on this particular DVD? I notice a lot of you don't look for Easter Eggs on Disney DVD's and this particular one has a pretty nice extra if you can find it.

:roll:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
DEREKG
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DEREKG »

dvdjunkie wrote:I must be easy to please because I like the release just the way it is. The two stories are essential watching for Halloween and I think that the Gold Collection series has enough extras to keep anyone busy. Plus how many can tell me what the hidden easter egg reveals on this particular DVD? I notice a lot of you don't look for Easter Eggs on Disney DVD's and this particular one has a pretty nice extra if you can find it.

Lonesome Ghosts???

:thumb:

--Raoul Duke
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Good guess, but I would go find the Easter Egg and find out what it is for yourself. It is well worth the search.

Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Luke wrote:I'm sure they will. If not for DVD, then the next home video format.
Of course it's probably going to get release on to the next home video format, about every film will do that I'm sure, however I think DEREKG is asking about DVD format, if so I doubt it, but if he's asking about any video format, than yes, it will definitely get remastered on the next home video format.
DEREKG
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DEREKG »

dvdjunkie wrote:Good guess, but I would go find the Easter Egg and find out what it is for yourself. It is well worth the search.

Are you talking about Susie "The Little Blue Coupe"???

:?

--Raoul Duke
eric89
Limited Issue

Post by eric89 »

We used to always watch this movie in school around Fall. Reading this thread makes me want to see it again. I remember that the pumpkin dude freaked me out!
John 3:17
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

That was the "headless horseman" or as it is explained in the film......"could it have been Brahm Bones in disguise?"

Yes, the Easter Egg is "Susie The Little Blue Coupe", you can get to it by winning the Mr. Toad game or by locating the Easter Egg and clicking on it. Same result gets you the extra bonus cartoon.

How many other Easter Eggs on Disney products have you found? There are thousands. Come to DVD Easter Eggs on the Internet and see for yourself.

Nemo7

Post by Nemo7 »

I'm sure Disney will eventually restore all of their classics; restoration techniques will most likely become cheaper as time goes on.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Wow- another chance for me to ask a question I've been dying to have answered : I have the Ichabod & Mr. Toad: Masterpiece Collection VHS and it doesn't look very good. Next time I watch it, I'll write down all the problems. But, can anyone actually confirm that the DVD which came out about 1 year after that VHS (the VHS had previews for 99's My Favorite Martian) really made the print look better?

Actually the question I'm really dying to have answered, is when Disney DVD did the DVD releases of Melody Time and Fun and Fancy Free, which were not THX like the VHS's, were the DVDs of the same, better, or lesser quality than the VHS's?
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Lazario wrote: Actually the question I'm really dying to have answered, is when Disney DVD did the DVD releases of Melody Time and Fun and Fancy Free, which were not THX like the VHS's, were the DVDs of the same, better, or lesser quality than the VHS's?
I can't answer that. But... The PAL Melody Time has an uncensored print. The sequences that have been retained from the original film look noticably worse than the rest of the picture, which makes me assume that they were taken from a VHS copy. So I would say that the DVDs are of better quality.

But really, no restoration or remastering work was carried out. They could have been so much better.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

I think the only sequence from Melody Time on the R2 DVD retained from an original print was the Pecos Bill segment. At least it was the only part that had noticeable grain, all the other segments I would say were the same quality as the R1 copy.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

Well, some company called RG Entertainment intends to make a live-action/animated adaptation of Wind in the Willows with a budget of 30m.

Why is this interesting??

Disney could POTENTIALLY re-release Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad with a new transfer as a tie-in.

Of course, they didn't even do that with Alice in Wonderland when they themselves released this year's Alice so don't get your hopes up.

(Obviously I'm talking about Blu-Ray)
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

BK wrote:Well, some company called RG Entertainment intends to make a live-action/animated adaptation of Wind in the Willows with a budget of 30m.

Why is this interesting??

Disney could POTENTIALLY re-release Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad with a new transfer as a tie-in.

Of course, they didn't even do that with Alice in Wonderland when they themselves released this year's Alice so don't get your hopes up.

An Alice in Wonderland BD definitely would have made sense and I was actually expecting it but I definitely can't see an Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad BD any time soon.
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

The reason Alice didn't appear this year, is probably because next year is the 60th anniversary. Plus the 3D blu-ray of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland will probably also be released around that time. So there's the obligatory cross-promotion.

If you ask me, at this point every (animated) Classic has the potential to be a good seller, it's been 4 frickin' years since the launch of BD. I mean, they have to release them sometime soon. And feeding off of other studios' potential success is always a good marketing strategy, regardless of the popularity of the film in question. Just look at James and the Giant Peach (even though that's also Disney, but it does make the point come across).
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

BK wrote:Disney could POTENTIALLY re-release Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad with a new transfer as a tie-in.

Yea, but, Alice got a new DVD with a new transfer, if we got that that's still a lot better then the old DVDs and transfers.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I doubt it, the package films don't get any love. I mean my gosh, for saying Disney loves Blu Ray so much, they seem to skip a number of films and instead just give us a new DVD version instead ("Alice," Great Mouse Detective," "Black Cauldron"). Sometimes I wonder if Disney even knows what they are doing.

Now I could be wrong here, but based on the past, I think the package films will always get "aren't you lucky we released it" treatment. It's just what they are.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney