Disney Movies You Want to see on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Disney Movies You Want to see on Broadway

Post by DisneyJedi »

Okay, after seeing the Burton's AiW on Broadway topic, I decided to do something like this.

Personally, these are the movies I wanna see Disney put on Broadway:

Oliver & Company
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Pocahontas
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Princess and the Frog
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

eh...I dunno how Oliver & Company would work but hey if we're gonna stretch ourselves about it, why not Lady and the Tramp or The Aristocats? :lol:
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I don't want TPATF on Broadway. Either you end up with six-foot-tall frogs dancing with Mama Odie or people with tiny hats that look like frogs *cough cough The Little Mermaid cough cough*.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Mulan
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Enchanted
The Hunchback of Notre Dame

(In no particular order)
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

That's pretty much it. I'd love Disney to produce a play not based on a movie, ala Aida.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Yeah, I'm also waiting for the English-language version of Hunchback. To be honest, I can't think of any other Disney classic that could translate to stage that hasn't already been done. Well, Winnie the Pooh could work, but I think most Broadway types would just view it as a "kiddie show", unfortunately.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Hunchback of Notre Dame
Pocahontas
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

SpringHeelJack wrote:I don't want TPATF on Broadway. Either you end up with six-foot-tall frogs dancing with Mama Odie or people with tiny hats that look like frogs *cough cough The Little Mermaid cough cough*.
I wouldnt say that as a reason to not do TPATF on Broadway but I would say that is a legitimate reason to NOT hire the same people would did the costume designs for TLM.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

True, but I mean, do you have a better idea? It worked with "BATB" because what was a candlestick in the film was a guy slowly turning into a candlestick on stage. I dunno how to pull off frogs convincingly onstage.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

SpringHeelJack wrote:True, but I mean, do you have a better idea? It worked with "BATB" because what was a candlestick in the film was a guy slowly turning into a candlestick on stage. I dunno how to pull off frogs convincingly onstage.
Why not do something Julie Taymor-esque or Lion King Broadway-esque? In other words, their frog forms being puppets manipulated by the characters.

By the way, I thought of another Disney movie or two that should make the jump to Broadway. Cinderella (the 1950 version) and/or Pinocchio.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Disney on Broadway

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh thank you DisneyJedi! Well, not about the puppets because even though that is possible, those worked more for The Lion King because of the African association and the abstract style.

Though I think it would work for Pincchio in a sense that like Pinocchio himself, lots of other creatures are puppets. Giant puppet Monstro would be the bomb! Did you know Julie Taymor was thinking of doing a Broadway Disney's Pinocchio? Maybe she was thinking of a similar idea.

But I was thanking you for Cinderella. Now, there was the Rogers and Hammerstein version but...that isn't one of their best, it was made for TV after all, and apparently someone was trying to make Ever After a Broadway musical...but I have been working on ideas for a Disney Cinderella Broadway musical, the way the animals would be done is mainly tiny puppets among the human actors, and it would have amazing wonderful special effects and a more elaborated dramatic storyline...but yea!

Now that I think about it, appropriate-sized puppets should probably be in almost every Disney Broadway musical, The Little Mermaid may have benefitted...
pvdfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pvdfan »

The Love Bug
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

I'd love to see Aladdin (which has been done in Disneyland on stage) but I think Pocahontas would be the most adaptable.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I would love a revivial of The Little Mermaid done right!

Enchanted
Cinderella
Princess and the Frog
Mulan would be kind of cool.