Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles ... tory.jhtml

Selena Gomez Reveals Plans For 'Wizards Of Waverly Place' Movie

Selena Gomez has revealed that there are plans in the works to turn her popular Disney series, "Wizards of Waverly Place" — about a New York City family whose kids have magical powers — into a movie.

"Yes! We actually want to shoot it here in New York," she told MTV News. Gomez also talked a little bit about what she thinks might happen in the film, saying, "I think it would have to be that our secret is about to be exposed."

The article is longer than these 2 paragraphs, but these are the paragraphs dealing with the potential movie.

I'm not too surprised...especially if The Hannah Montana Movie marks the end of that TV show (like how The Lizzie McGuire Movie marked the end of that TV show). With HM gone, WoWP might be the most popular show on Disney Channel. We can see how huge HSM3 is at the theater right now, and the Miley concert movie was huge, and if the HM movie does well, then Disney will know that a movie based on a Disney Channel property will sell lots and lots of tickets at the box office.
Thomas J
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thomas J »

I hope so! I just hope it won't mark the end of the show. It would be nice to have a movie mid-series just because. That's my favorite Disney Channel show ever, so I really hope this is true.
Disney on Broadway:
Beauty and the Beast - December 2, 2006
The Lion King - February 28, 2007 & February 16, 2008
The Little Mermaid - December 12, 2007, December 22, 2007 & January 7, 2009
Mary Poppins - February 1, 2009
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

I think Wizards of Waverly Place is more DCOM material;That's So Raven had a bit more potential.

I wish for once they did reveal the secrets, that would be a nice ending and a good change for most of the sit-coms on Disney.
Last edited by rs_milo_whatever on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

The article doesn't say if it'd be a DCOM or a theatrical film...I think my first reaction was a theatrical film, but it very well could be a DCOM. And I wonder why Disney didn't make a That's So Raven movie...did they think of it? Was Raven not willing to star in it?
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

I think I remember her saying she'd be up for it if the fans were; it was actually in the works and announced in a couple of magazines but i guess it got scrapped.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

There was also supposed to be a Phil of the Future movie, but that idea was scrapped when the show was cancelled. :(
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

I know, that's just sad of all the Disney Channel Series Phil of The Future really did need some sort of closure.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

If they ever did release a movie adaptation of this show, why do I get the feeling that they will probably rip off Harry Potter?
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

Big Disney Fan wrote:If they ever did release a movie adaptation of this show, why do I get the feeling that they will probably rip off Harry Potter?
Exactly my thoughts since WizTech is basically a parody of Harry Potter, right down to the glasses and Professor Crumbs.
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

jediliz wrote:
Big Disney Fan wrote:If they ever did release a movie adaptation of this show, why do I get the feeling that they will probably rip off Harry Potter?
Exactly my thoughts since WizTech is basically a parody of Harry Potter, right down to the glasses and Professor Crumbs.
And incidentally, David Henrie and Daniel Radcliffe were both born within about a week of each other!
blackcauldron85

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnoth ... tml#cutid1

Gomez's rep clarified to MTV News on Thursday (October 30) that while there is a film in development, it's a Disney Channel original movie, rather than a feature film.

"It will be part of the blockbuster Disney Channel Original Movie franchise, the same franchise that launched 'High School Musical' and 'Camp Rock,' " a rep for Disney said. "While it's only in development, the plan is to have the movie ready for the 2009 calendar year."
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Let me guess... It will deal with Wizard Tech... AGAIN!
ImageImageImageImage

jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

maybe it'll be a plot where its discovered that Justin is not really a Russo but the son of Barry Sotter! (Harry Potter).

:lol:
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

My annoyance with the Wiz Tech storylines is that they try SO HARD to rip on Harry Potter it isn't funny. I like the show when its just the teens learning magic from the father while messing with it in the real world.

The thing about the wizards duel sounds really cool, but if they dealt with it the show would be over as the show is about THREE magical teens.
ImageImageImageImage

rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

It's like what they did on Charmed with magic school.

Usually sit-coms with laugh tracks are strange in movie form, either because they still have it or even more so because they don't.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I'm sure the movie will be the "finale" to the show, and I bet it there will be some kind of change and they all end up getting to keep their powers.
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

That really is what should be expected out of it.

But I'm not sure it will be the end of the series, mainly because it just started last year.
Disney Duster

Wizards of Waverly Movie

Post by Disney Duster »

^
Yea, I hope not! I hope it's not the end because I like the show and it is definately one of the better ones on Disney Channel right now.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

I haven't seen enough of "Wizards of Waverly Place" to make a completely fair assessment, as I always seem to only see that one baseball episode where the sister tells the brother to use magic to win, then the father tells the brother not to use magic to win, and of course, everything gets confusing, but then cleaned up and settled nicely by the end of the 22 minutes. It's a cute series, but nothing worthwhile, IMO. I can't see myself sitting down to watch a movie version of this, with or without the canned laughter. Still, I'm sure it has its share of fans who'll enjoy a movie-length episode.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

You make the right decision by not judging by that one episode, or any episode for that matter. But that particular episode does annoy me for some reason.