DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:24 am 
Limited Edition

I'm considering buying a multiregion DVD-player because there are a lot of Disney treasures that are not available in region 2 and I doubt if they will ever be released.
I've been searching on the internet and I've found that there is a brand of DVD-players called Denver that includes multiregion DVD-players for quite a low price.
I wonder if anyone on this board has experience with these players and if they are any good - do they function properly, don't break down to quickly?

I don't need anything to fancy if the apparatus works properly. But even an amount of €50 would be to much for a DVD-player that works only for a couple of months.

In case you are wondering: no I cannot change my own DVD-player to multiregion because it's a combination of DVD and video.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:11 am 
Gold Collection

Location: In this world, but not of it. On my way upward to my eternal home
my daughter recently bought a Sony multi region dvd from Amazon.co.uk for about £40. it works fine & is a very reputable company. also you have the backing of amazon. if prices are much higher, give it a couple of days for other sellers to come on at cheaper prices for the same model. these are new & cheaper than the shops. good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:55 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks for you answer, that was helpfull. Sony is indeed a reputable company. Can you tell me how this model your daughter bought is called?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:49 pm 
Limited Edition

I have an AWA brand DVD player which is multi-region. Have found it to be very reliable; it's around two years old now. My brother and aunt also have AWA players (her's is around five years old and still works great).

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:32 am 
Gold Collection

Location: In this world, but not of it. On my way upward to my eternal home
i have to use a library to access the internet, when i am next here shortly, i will let you know the model, but any sony has to be a good one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:02 am 
Limited Edition

Oh dear... just been on Amazon.co.uk and found that DVD-players can only been delivered in the UK, and I live in Holland :(
I have to find some other, Dutch, retailer. I can still try out these Denver players or mayby some type of sony multi region player is available in The Netherlands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:51 pm 
Gold Collection

About six years ago I star buying dvds (yep dint have any before that time) and I bought a cheap player just to for a while before use the big bucks in something fancy, well the cheap player (35 usd in those days) still working till today very well and most interesting it happen to be an all region, but because the restrictions it wasn't set that way, I find the code and alas! enjoying movies from out side.
my point is look for something ship usually a no commercial brand, most of this player can play lots of formats and regions, a little search in google will tell you for sure if the player your are interested in has this features (and they are way more cheap than those that has this funtions as a feature from the retail stores) mine is a ciberhome. hope it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:29 am 
Limited Edition

I did search on the internet and I did find a brand that had multiregion players, namely "Denver". But till now nobody on this forum could tell me if "Denver" is a good brand. Other models of other brands I foudn were soemtiems described as sopporting multiregion and sometiems as not.
I think I just take my chance and buy a Denver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:58 am 
Limited Edition

I finally bought a multiregion-player this December online(Denver, with Karaoke-function) but the fun didn't last for long. The player did well with two dvd's or so, but when I tried to play "more silly symphonies" it skipped parts, refused to play most of the shorts, or gave a very bad image full of speckles, stopping halfway and jumping back to the menu. The player did often not respond to the remote, I had to put power off and on again to be able to get the dvd out. Karaoka-function was't working either, I tried it with a dvd of "The little Mermaid"(region 2) sing-along-bonus feature. This dvd the player couldn't handle either. Yes, there were some scratches on it, but after using a repair kit, the dvd ran smootlhly on my philips-player.
I almost begin to think Denver has something against Disney-dvd's!

I will bring my new player back to the shop, hoping it can be repaired, I keep my fingers crossed.. but I'm not very optimistic.

Meanwhile I'm running the region 1 disks of "More Silly Symponies" on my computer, which works fine, but it is far from ideal... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:52 am 
Limited Edition

Follow-up from last post: My multi-region DVD-player is working! The old one could not be repaired anymore so it has been replaced (no charge)
So happy now that I can order more rare Disney treasures dvd's from the USA. Just watched te biggest part of On the Front Lines. :thumb:

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Maybe a tip for next time: every dvd player can be made region free with the help of a remote and a code programmed into it. You can also buy these things on eBay. They're about 16 euros, and are a lot cheaper than buying a whole new player. So you don't have to buy a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:19 am 
Limited Edition

KubrickFan wrote:
Maybe a tip for next time: every dvd player can be made region free with the help of a remote and a code programmed into it. You can also buy these things on eBay. They're about 16 euros, and are a lot cheaper than buying a whole new player. So you don't have to buy a new one.

Don't you think I've informed about that? I've Googled for answers, found a 'solution' that didn't work at all with my DVD-player' spoiling one of my cd-roms. I've been to shops and phoned them for answers. as I wrote in my first post: "no I cannot change my own DVD-player to multiregion because it's a combination of DVD and video". That's the reply one shop gave me. Why should they lie about such a thing?
you make it sound as if it's all so easy to find a solution, but it really isn't. I'm quite satisfied now even though it cost me more than 16 Euros.

Besides, an extra DVD-player also has another advantage for me: Now I can record a program and play a DVD at the same time if I want to.

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:46 pm 
Limited Edition

BelleGirl wrote:
Don't you think I've informed about that? I've Googled for answers, found a 'solution' that didn't work at all with my DVD-player' spoiling one of my cd-roms. I've been to shops and phoned them for answers. as I wrote in my first post: "no I cannot change my own DVD-player to multiregion because it's a combination of DVD and video". That's the reply one shop gave me. Why should they lie about such a thing?
you make it sound as if it's all so easy to find a solution, but it really isn't. I'm quite satisfied now even though it cost me more than 16 Euros.

Besides, an extra DVD-player also has another advantage for me: Now I can record a program and play a DVD at the same time if I want to.

I'm sorry, I completely read over that. My fault :oops: .