Trip to the UK...which DVD should I buy while I'm there?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Anne
Gold Classic Collection

Trip to the UK...which DVD should I buy while I'm there?

Post by Anne »

Hello! :)

I'm going in the UK in two weeks and I would like to buy a few Disney DVDs while I'll be there.

I looked at the UD list of the DVDs that are only available outside the US/Canada but I would like to know which one YOU would recommend me to buy.

Maybe special editions, amazing covert art DVDs, great bonus features, whatever you like!

Tell me which one is your favorite UK release!
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

I would buy the 2-disc SE of Lilo & Stitch as who knows how long before its released in the US...

As for coverart, the UK covers are not especially pretty or special except from BatB CE, Atlantis CE, Snow White CE box, Emperors NG CE and Sleeping B CE... But they are all OOP now...
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Hi Anne.

You have to remember that UK DVDs are not just a different region code, but also based on a different broadcast system. This means you probably won't be able to play any UK discs on your sytem, even if you can make your player multi-region, as you also need to be able to convert from PAL to NTSC or have a display that can display PAL signals.

If you are viewing your discs on a computer, then you just have to worry about the region code, because computers don't use a broadcast system and DVD player software is programmed to display both.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Anne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Anne »

Thanks for your answers!

And yes, I use a computer to watch DVDs from the UK. I already tried with a DVD from the UK that my boyfriend has and it worked!

I prefer to watch movies with my DVD player but I make an effort to watch them on my computer when I watch non region 1 DVDs ;)
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well it really depends what you're into.

If you're one of those who only sticks to animation, like has been mentioned most of the fancy packaged releases are now out of print. The only animated classics that really stand out over the R1 counterparts woule be the Lilo and Stitch: 2 Disc Special Edition and Melody Time since the R1 has been edited whereas the UK version is complete.

Also the Tarzan: 2 Disc Special Edition is still in print here, so if you haven't got that, that may be something.

Then there's also the live action / animation hybrid So Dear to my Heart which has still to be released at all in R1.

As for live action titles if that's your thing, there's a few titles which haven't been released in R1 yet and some which have better picture quality, anamorphic widescreen transfers as opposed to the full screen R1 versions, these include:

The Incredible Journey
The Moon Spinners
Blackbeard's Ghost
Big Red
The Country Bears
Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
Kidnapped
One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing

Also if you're missing some of the Treasures, still in print in the UK are:

Mickey Mouse in Living Color
Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol 2
Silly Symphonies
The Chronological Donald Vol 1

Although in all honesty I will warn you now, despite the fact these titles are still in print and readilly available the chances of finding them in stores will be remote. And if you do, they will probably be at their full SRPs. To be honest it would probably be a lot cheaper (even with shipping to Canada) to buy them from an online retailer.
mvd24
Limited Issue

Post by mvd24 »

ichabod wrote:
As for live action titles if that's your thing, there's a few titles which haven't been released in R1 yet and some which have better picture quality, anamorphic widescreen transfers as opposed to the full screen R1 versions, these include:

The Incredible Journey
The Moon Spinners
Blackbeard's Ghost
Big Red
The Country Bears
Kidnapped
To this list I can add:

That Darn Cat

I just bought it and it has anamorphic widescreen.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

mvd24 wrote: To this list I can add:

That Darn Cat

I just bought it and it has anamorphic widescreen.
Ah yes, there are probably some more I've forgotten too.
mvd24
Limited Issue

Post by mvd24 »

I now could use some help myself, as I am planning to buy some more Disney live action films and I trying to decide whether to get them from the UK or from the states.

Follow me boys
I understood the transfer and framing are better than the R1 release.
But I suppose the UK release lacks the gallery and featurette?

The ugly dachshund
I see it's anamorphic widescreen in both releases. Is it the same transfer? Or is one better than the other?
Again I suppose the UK release is without the bonus features like the theatrical trailer?

The Misadventures of Merlin Jones
Same question. Both full screen, but is there a difference in picture quality/framing?
Does the UK release contain the bonusfeatures from R1?

Son of Flubber
Is the UK version in black and white? Same transfer/framing?
Does the UK have the gallery?

These were my questions so far. I hope somebody can help me out.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

mvd24 wrote:I now could use some help myself, as I am planning to buy some more Disney live action films and I trying to decide whether to get them from the UK or from the states.

Follow me boys
I understood the transfer and framing are better than the R1 release.
But I suppose the UK release lacks the gallery and featurette?
The UK version has better framing and colours, but no bonus features. So it depends what matters most to you. See <a href="http://www.ultimatedisney.com//forum/vi ... 1">here</a> for comparisons
The ugly dachshund
I see it's anamorphic widescreen in both releases. Is it the same transfer? Or is one better than the other?
Again I suppose the UK release is without the bonus features like the theatrical trailer?
Both are anamorphic, but no bonus features on the UK. I'd go for the R1 version.
The Misadventures of Merlin Jones
Same question. Both full screen, but is there a difference in picture quality/framing?
Does the UK release contain the bonusfeatures from R1?
Exact same framing on both, but no bonus features on the UK version. Although in all honesty the only thing of interest on the bonus features are 10 still frames, so by a tiny margin I'd go for the R1.
Son of Flubber
Is the UK version in black and white? Same transfer/framing?
Does the UK have the gallery?
Both have the most awful pan and scan, in fact I don't think saying that is even correct. Half the time the camera neither pans or scans and stuff happens out of the frame. The R1 is B+W, the UK colorised. Quite frankly I wouldn't bother with either.

Another thing to consider is cost. I mean take Misadventures for example. You can get the UK version for about £4/5. Whereas importing a R1 would be at least double that. It depends on whether you'd consider 10 frames of lobby cards worth it.
mvd24
Limited Issue

Post by mvd24 »

Thanks Ichabod. You are a great help!
It is much clearer to me now what the exact contents of these dvd's are.

Usually I go for bonusfeatures, but it's true that a gallery of 10 lobbycards might not be worth the difference in price.

Ugly Dachshund is clear. I'll will surely get that from the US.

Follow me boys is more difficult. I will have to think about that. Are the bonus features any good?

I would prefer Son of Flubber in black & white (as it was intended, I suppose) But hearing about the bad pan&scan job I think I will postpone this purchase for a while, as I still have other movies to get. Maybe we 'll get a better release someday.

How is framing/transfer on "In search for the castaways" and "Greyfriars Bobby" (UK releases) Exactly the same as in R1?
These don't have bonus features so that makes the choice easier.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well I think the UK releases of 'Greyfriars Bobby' and 'In Search of the Castaways' will satisfy. There are no bonus features on either the Uk or R1 DVDs, but the UK DVDs seem to have a smidge more picture.

In Search of the Castaways
R1

UK

Greyfriars Bobby
R1

UK
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

ichabod wrote:Well it really depends what you're into.

If you're one of those who only sticks to animation, like has been mentioned most of the fancy packaged releases are now out of print. The only animated classics that really stand out over the R1 counterparts woule be the Lilo and Stitch: 2 Disc Special Edition and Melody Time since the R1 has been edited whereas the UK version is complete.

Also the Tarzan: 2 Disc Special Edition is still in print here, so if you haven't got that, that may be something.

Then there's also the live action / animation hybrid So Dear to my Heart which has still to be released at all in R1.

The Incredible Journey
The Moon Spinners
Blackbeard's Ghost
Big Red
The Country Bears
Kidnapped

Also if you're missing some of the Treasures, still in print in the UK are:

Mickey Mouse in Living Color
Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol 2
Silly Symphonies
The Chronological Donald Vol 1

Although in all honesty I will warn you now, despite the fact these titles are still in print and readilly available the chances of finding them in stores will be remote. And if you do, they will probably be at their full SRPs. To be honest it would probably be a lot cheaper (even with shipping to Canada) to buy them from an online retailer.
Is that "The Incredible Journey" the original or the re-make? Is "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey" widescreen for the R2 release?
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney