Looking For Obscure, Foreign Animated Films

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Looking For Obscure, Foreign Animated Films

Post by Neal »

I'm looking for suggestions for little-known, but good foreign animation films.

Some examples:

Fantastic Planet
Mind Game
Pinchcliffe Grand Prix

... any animated film you doubt I may have heard of but think is good. I am always trying to expand my animation collection.

The films can be of any genre or animation medium.

Thanks!
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
AlanJ

Re: Looking For Obscure, Foreign Animated Films

Post by AlanJ »

I would recommend these films too:

STEAMBOY (Region 2) (features voices of Patrick Stewart, Alfred Molina & Anna Paquin
(the 100 minute version, NOT the 126 minute EXTENDED/Director's Cut version)
EXTENDED version is rated PG13, whereas the shorter 100 minute version is rated PG and
can be purchased here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steamboy-DVD-Ka ... s=steamboy
this a a 2004 Japanese animation movie by Katsuhiro Otomo

Although the Amazon UK page says that this version of STEAMBOY is 126 minutes, this version is
actually 100 minutes, The Director's Cut/Extended version is 126 minutes long and this is NOT that
version.

STEAMBOY Extended/Director's Cut version drags down in the final part of the movie with too many
explosions which don't add to the plot but simply makes the movie too long and boring while the
shorter version sticks to the plot and is much more enjoyable.

THRU THE MOEBIUS STRIP (Region 2) (features voices of Mark Hamill, Michael Dorn, Daniel Davis,
Jonathan Taylor-Thomas, Jean Simmons, Peri Gilpin, Dee Bradley Baker & Kellie Martin)
can be purchased here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thru-Moebius-St ... bius+strip
this is an 2005 international animation project and story is by Jean Giraud

I would also recommend this movie that you can pick up at your local Walmart for about $7.50

A MONSTER IN PARIS (features voices of Adam Goldberg, Jay Harrington, Bob Balaban, Sean Lennon,
Vanessa Paradis, Danny Huston & Catherine O'Hara
this is a 2013 French animation movie directed by Bibo Bergeron
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

AlanJ --- three great suggestions! I have Steamboy and Monster in Paris.

Do not have Moebius Strip. I will have to check that one out.

Thank you!
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

Neal wrote:AlanJ --- three great suggestions! I have Steamboy and Monster in Paris.

Do not have Moebius Strip. I will have to check that one out.

Thank you!

You're welcome! All three of these are good movies and are among my favorite animated movies.

I prefer the Theatrical version of Steamboy and not the Extended/Director's Cut though.
AlanJ

Post by AlanJ »

Here's a couple more that you might not have heard of that aren't exactly Foreign but are good titles too.

The Iron Giant (Signature Edition) DVD includes original Theatrical version and new Signature version which is an EXTENDED version. Theatrical length 87 minutes, Signature length 90 minutes. Released by
WARNER Video.

this new Signature edition was released in 2016 after a very short limited theatrical running at exclusive theater locations across the US. I saw this in the theater back in 2016. And the new added scenes really do add to the story line.

the other one is Paul McCartney the music and animation collection. This one was released by MIRAMAX.
running time is 43 minutes. Includes the following shorts Tropic Island Hum, Tuesday, and Rupert And The Frog Song.

The Paul McCartney collection will only appeal to you if you liked the DISNEY films Make Mine Music, Melody Time or either of the FANTASIA films. They like the Paul McCartney collection is a film of different
film shorts collected in one greater whole.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I recommend:

-The King and The Mockingbird
-Ernest and Celestine
-The Triplets of Belleville
twihard
Limited Issue

Post by twihard »

Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think the question was asked back in 2011. I'm not sure when Neal last posted, but I think it could've been a decade or more ago.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
twihard
Limited Issue

Post by twihard »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:19 pm I think the question was asked back in 2011. I'm not sure when Neal last posted, but I think it could've been a decade or more ago.
Oh ooops :cry: sorry bout that. I've been using the search button to look up random terms and threads on this forum and didn't realize some of them are so old. There are 100s of pages on here and the funny thing is that the older you go the more wealth of info there seems to be. maybe cuz the movies were better then or Disney just used to give more info
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, reading old threads can be fun sometimes, especially if the images are still functioning. That's where the fun is in following a film from its first announcement to its final release comes from for me, seeing all the little things that changed or that could've been different. I still enjoy looking at the early images of TP&TF when Tiana looked slightly different or when the logo was purple (I thought that was much nicer than the finished logo).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"