MGM SE's

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

MGM SE's

Post by Prince Phillip »

Well, I got the SE of West Side Story for my birthday, this past April, and I plan to get the SE of Casablanca this coming Tuesday...

I am impressed with the packaging for the WSS dvd, and wonder if we/I can expect the same type of packaging for Casablanca and any other future SE's... though, I must say, with the exception of the cool book, the SE, well the DVD atleast doesn't seem to be to full... I haven't watched it yet, but a commentary is not listed... although noone may be alive to give one...

Any way my post isn't about the West Side Story DVD, but rather other MGM SE's that I would like to see come out...

Here is a quick list off the top of my head, of some of their movies, and I would want collectors books included in most if not all of these as well(same packaging)...:

Gone With The Wind (ofcourse) I think this is on it's way...

The Wizard of OZ a very strange movie, and hard to sit through at times, but non the less, a classic. (though I realize this already has a good disc, but the addition of a collector's book and a division of the first disc on to 2 seperate ones, could warant a SE rerelease)

The Secret of NIHM great non-disney animated movie! A real classic!

pretty much all of their classic movies would be nice...

DARN!!! I thought My Fair Lady was MGM, but it turns out it's Warner Bros. (atleast the first copy of the movie on dvd was released by them...)

Any way, that was one of the main ones I wanted to pitch!

I LOVE this movie, it is a real classic...
Great Actress (Audrey Hepburn, one of my faves) and the rest of the cast is good too... (just found out it's not Audrey singing)
Great story
Great Music
Great Costumes
Great Everything

This one really deserves the Ultimate treatment...
Multi disc set
Collectors book
Maybe a signed autograph
and much much more...

Though to be honest, most of the great classics deserve this...

Casablanca is the greatest movie of all time and I hope they give this the works too.... again signed autographs of Humphrey and Ingrid would be great!
Defy Gravity
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

I am REALLY looking forward to Casablanca next month...should eb a great release and one well worth the wait (I did not purchase the current DVD release).
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Casablanca is a Warner Bros. Special Edition, FYI. So it will probably be packaged like Amadeus, The Mission, etc.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

MGM and WB have a sort of freaky movie ownership going on. Casablanca (Actually a WB movie), Gone With The Wind (MGM) and Singin' In The Rain (MGM) have had both MGM and WB DVD releases. There are many others, but these are just to name a few. I'm very excited about Tuesday's Casablanca DVD, because WB did absolutely fantastic with MGM's Singin' In The Rain Double-Discer. SITR had the best DVD transfer I've ever seen, for a truly colorful film. While Casablanca is Black & White, I expect crystal-clear picture, making it look better than it EVER has.
What would this wretched world be like without Disney?
Marianne81
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Marianne81 »

though, I must say, with the exception of the cool book, the SE, well the DVD atleast doesn't seem to be to full... I haven't watched it yet, but a commentary is not listed... although noone may be alive to give one...
I have the West Side Story SE DVD too, and it being one of my all time favorites I was a little disappointed that there were not more extras. The first disc is just the movie. There is no commentary and there very well could have been because a lot of the cast is still alive-Richard Beymer(Tony), Russ Tamblyn(Riff), Rita Moreno(Anita), George Chakiris(Bernardo), to name a few. The second disc does have a nice documentary with many interviews with the cast and crew, but the other extras are nothing extraordinary. I do like the book it came with, but I think what I like best is that it LOOKS AND SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL. The color is vibrant and the songs are clear. I only had it recored off of tv. Talk about a difference. Hope this helped.

Marianne :)
Chernobog
Gold Classic Collection

Re: MGM SE's

Post by Chernobog »

Prince Phillip wrote:The Secret of NIHM great non-disney animated movie! A real classic!
Excuse me, i think i'm not understanding you: Do you mean MGM is going to release a NIMH SE?

NIMH is undoubtely the best film Don Bluth made. I like this movie very much, but i prefer An American Tail.
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
Luke
Site Admin

Re: MGM SE's

Post by Luke »

Chernobog wrote:
Prince Phillip wrote:The Secret of NIHM great non-disney animated movie! A real classic!
Excuse me, i think i'm not understanding you: Do you mean MGM is going to release a NIMH SE?

NIMH is undoubtely the best film Don Bluth made. I like this movie very much, but i prefer An American Tail.
I believe's Phillip's post is his wishlist of what movies he'd like to see re-released as Special Editions, not ones that are actually announced or firmly planned as such.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president