Amazon Problem

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Amazon Problem

Post by Sulley »

Has anyone noticed.......that Amazon's down??...[pause for dramatic affect]...

I tried searching "Amazon" on Google, hoping that a link might get me there rather than typing the address, but it said Amazon was sued a little over three hours ago for some reason. Alas, even Luke's Disney links aren't working..............
What would this wretched world be like without Disney?
Satoshi
Special Edition

Post by Satoshi »

Weird! *goes to check it out*
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Re: Amazon Problem

Post by indianajdp »

Sulley wrote:Has anyone noticed.......that Amazon's down??...[pause for dramatic affect]...

I tried searching "Amazon" on Google, hoping that a link might get me there rather than typing the address, but it said Amazon was sued a little over three hours ago for some reason. Alas, even Luke's Disney links aren't working..............
Couldn't get there either.
But even if there were sued for some reason I'm not sure even a cease and desist could immediately put the site down. And in that event you'd still be able to access the site and they'd post a message on their front page.
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Amazon Problem

Post by Loomis »

Sulley wrote:Has anyone noticed.......that Amazon's down??...[pause for dramatic affect]...

I can't access either.
Amazon sued? Wow - it is a patents infringement case...
Article here:
http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/2237531
Amazon Sued for Patent Infringement over Personalization
By Mark Berniker
Pinpoint Inc. reportedly sued Amazon (Quote, Company Info) and six other major national retailers for allegedly violating its patents on software that assists online shoppers with their purchasing decisions.

The Fort Worth, Texas-based company filed the suit Thursday in U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Illinois. In it, Pinpoint claims Amazon and the other companies have violated several of its patents, which cover software that recommends specific content to Internet users, based on their past behavior. Amazon uses personalization technology to recommend products to shoppers on its site, based upon their previous purchases.

"Amazon's personalization technology meets each and every limitation of at least one claim of each of the patents-in-suit, either literally or with only insubstantial differences," the suit reads.

In addition to Amazon, the lawsuit also named certain retail parters including Borders Group, (Quote, Company Info) Toys R Us, (Quote, Company Info), Virgin Group and Target (Quote, Company Info). Amazon provides the software to the other retail Web sites.

Amazon has been a vigorous defender of its own patented technologies, and this suit is expected to generate controversy regarding general patents, which some claim cover very broad business processes. In the past, Amazon has defended its patented one-click purchasing technology, and sued barnesandnoble.com (Quote, Company Info) in October 1999, claiming that its technology had been copied. The suit was settled in March 2002, but the terms were kept confidential.

Pinpoint's suit against Amazon isn't the first time the Internet retailer has been hit with litigation in recent weeks. In early July, Corbis Corp., a leading image licensing company, expanding its online copyright-infringement case to include Amazon. Corbis says that Amazon used and sold thousands of images, for which it holds copyrights. Corbis is owned by Microsoft (Quote, Company Info) Chairman Bill Gates and has launched more than a dozen copyright-infringement suits seeking compensation for damages.

On July 22, Amazon will host its quarterly earnings conference call to discuss its latest financial quarter. Amazon's stock price has tripled in the past year from close to $12 to more than $36.

I just did a patents exam (and did quite well thank you :P), so I'll see if I can make heads or tails of this :D

I'm not sure who this Pinpoint is. Does anyone know anything more about them?
"Some claim cover very broad business processes" - It was my understanding you couldn't patent a business process.
I think they are targeting the software that allows Amazon to track you.
I'd be targeting that technology for a bunch of other reasons, but this could change the way Amazon does its business if it is successful.

One to watch closely!
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

The only Pinpoint I know of is an educational company that develops pre and post assessment software, among other educational pieces. I'd be shocked if it were the same company :shock:

The again...I seem to recall they were a Texas-based company. The company I used to work for distributed some of their product in electronic format to coporations and educational centers.
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Amazon.com seems to be working fine as of 03:07 UTC/GMT, Saturday, July 19.
Last edited by Starion on Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

It's working now. I know they didn't shut down immediately because I used it in between the time of the lawsuit and my failed attempt.
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

Wow, me and Starion posted at the exact same time!!!
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Amazon is working for me too...
But still an interesting case.
Love to see how it turns out...
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
maj
Limited Issue

Post by maj »

working fine. But I do know that amazon.co.uk switches off from time to time for server maintenace
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I tried to order the new Image Phantom of the Opera 2 (silent film) disc set the other week and it wouldn't let me pay! It kept going down with an error!

I simply checked out my basket the next day and everything was fine.

They must have just done some maintenance work to correct that error.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database