HP 5 Discussion

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

I don't know I'am always kinda guessing what will happen, it is fun, but it is nice to know when you are rading about the Dursleys, that the storey will piuck up and get better, and it is nice to know there will be some kind of show down to look forward to... but that's just me :)
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

i figure Lupin is going to have a semi-big part in the next book. maybe Lupin will die next.
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
jabroni76
Special Edition

Post by jabroni76 »

Lupin is supposed to have a HUGE part in the 7th book... Thats a rumour going around... or was a year or two ago...
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

Please read my post on the other HP thread as it gives moct of my opinions. I also agree about Lupin being a great character and I want to see more of him. I also loved Tonks. Maybe they'll get married and adopt Harry and live happily ever after (jk, it's too happy :lol: ). Does anyone know what actor plays him? I would also like to add that in addition to location, OotP would be a good movie to depict the torture of Harry by Umbridge (the most evil so far I think) making it a good wholsome PG-13 kid's flick. :wink: Can't wait til the PoA movie!!! :float:

Oh, also: I think a Neville=Chosen One twist would be TERRIFIC and shock everybody. I don't really like Harry that much any more. Oh, and Minerva McGonagall is my favorite adult (Lupin is either equal or second). I LOVE Maggie Smith and I hope she keeps her heels away from the bucket before all the films with her in it are released. Sorry, maybe that was a bit crude :brick: . I hopes she lives for years to come until she's absolutely ready. (It wouldn't hurt to be more patient than Harris though) :brick: :oops: .
What would this wretched world be like without Disney?
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

I really like McGonagall too, and Maggi Smith, but must say that I pictured McGonagall as a LOT younger, from reading the first few books, and I wonder if that was the original intention, although now with the movie out, she had to make her older in the book, when she (JKR) finally nailed doen approx. age...
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

'Tis okay, Phil - I know you have spelling trouble. My problem is that I'm too anal about spelling - you should see how much time I spend on writing posts. ;)
It'd be a miracle if I ever got "Special Edition" status... :lol:

Anywho, one complaint I hear sometimes is that of Jabroni's - same structure throughout the series. Well, I kinda take the structure as a given, since every book is one year at boarding school. Ya'd think the structure would be similar if the story takes place in the same location, maybe? The structure is also limited by the bounds of the school; not only location, but its start and end of term times, and all the testing and vacations in between - even the number of books in the series is determined by the number of years at a traditional UK boarding school. What I love about it is the main story of Harry's struggle with Voldemort occurs in spite of the school setting. Almost as if the school part is a bother that Harry nevertheless has to deal with.
The one bit of the structure that does bug me a bit is the endings - a big battle climax, Harry escapes by the skin of his teeth, then he wakes up in the hospital wing and Dumbledore has some lesson to give, or some revolution to make. Those who are looking for spoilers know exactly what to do - flip to the end and find Dumbledore's monologue. :roll:

Hehe... but I don't mind. I have a twinge of confidence about the actors for the films, though - Daniel just said in a recent interview that he's 90% sure he'll do GoF, so hopefully the other kids'll follow suit. Chris Rankin, the guy who plays Percy, said in an interview that Dan could do the angsty teen Harry very well for the 5th film, so maybe Dan'll even go as far as that. Who knows? Maybe they'll just "end up" doing all 7 films - it would be really jarring if a new Harry/Ron/Hermione came in for only the last 2 or 3 films. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Personally I wonder if WB will even have the balls to film the last three books. If it isn't the length, the dark tone might deterr them. I really hope they don't dull down the darker elements for the sake of the poor widdle kiddies in the audience. Because chances are that 90% of the kids that come to see the films will have read the books, and know what's coming. Can't wait to see a PG-13 Harry Potter. :D
On the topic of length, though - our only options with the 4th and 5th films will be a really long film, a two-parter... or a 3-hour flick that's been butchered beyond all recognition. :evil:
This article states that, among other valid points, the reason the series is so successful is that the books are "all meat, no bread." In other words, every event Jo decribes, every detail, every plot point - it's all significant. There's really no fluff or tangents. It all becomes important later on. It's happened before with the mention of Sirius in the first book, and it's happening now with Grawp in the fifth. Both may seem like a throwaway detail at the time, but as we've seen, every detail is tied in with future books.
My point, though, is that WB is gonna have a hell of a time cutting stuff out of GoF or OotP. Even the World Cup led to the panic in the woods, the Dark Mark, the firing of Winky, the stuff with Crouch, etc. etc. Thinning out the plot without mutilating it would be a task, if WB decides to try it all in one film. I say two films is a-okay, perhaps one part in May and one in November. I think a good cutoff point would be right after the first task - that comes near the middle of the book, as well. The greedy execs will find it more marketable and money-netting that way, too. I wonder what they'd title the parts, though? "Part One" and "Part Two" sounds really bad, so... I dunno. *shrug*

Oh, Phil - Lupin is being played by David Thewlis - maybe you've seen him in Dragonheart or the Dinotopia miniseries. He played the bad guy in both. And what's odd is I thought he'd make the perfect Snape when I heard they were making movies. But here he is now, playing the complete antithesis of Snape. LOL
And Gary Oldman is playing Sirius. Guess he only has a 3-film contract then, eh? ;)

One other thing, though. Somebody at an IMDb forum brought up this very interesting theory - what if the prophecy didn't mean Harry or Voldemort must die, but perhaps Harry or Neville? Here's the prophecy again -

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...
Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...
And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...
And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...
The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..."

What does that third part mean, exactly? Trelawney's prediction in PoA led us to believe that the "servant" she spoke of was Sirius... which it was obviously not. That prediction had a twist - so it's likely this will have a twist, too. Who knows why the boys would have to kill each other, but it's something to think about. I'd definitely not take this prophecy at face value, that's for sure. ;)
You can read more here, if you like. :)
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.