Father Ted set for US makeover

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
2099net
Signature Collection

Father Ted set for US makeover

Post by 2099net »

BBC News Online wrote:Father Ted set for US makeover

Channel 4 sitcom Father Ted is to be remade for a US audience, five years after the series ended in the UK.
The original version of the show, one of Channel 4's biggest hits of the 1990s, has attracted a cult following in the US after being shown on BBC America.

British production company Hat Trick will create the remake, along with Seinfeld writer Spike Feresten.

Father Ted ran for three series and ended in 1998 shortly before the death of lead actor Dermot Morgan.
I really can't see this working in America. Surely they would have to tone down some of the religious humour?

And what's with America lately? The Kumars? The Office? Men Behaving Badly? Coupling? Father Ted? Why don't you either get your own ideas or simply show the British versions? After all, we show American programmes on our networked channels. Are you really so shallow that you wouldn't watch a UK programme with a UK cast?
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Yeah, what is next? The Vicar of Dibley?

And they'll probably change it subtly.

It wont be a parish, it will be an office building.

And the Vicar will be a man.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Loomis wrote:Yeah, what is next? The Vicar of Dibley?

And they'll probably change it subtly.

It wont be a parish, it will be an office building.

And the Vicar will be a man.
Actually didn't Jane Leeves and Peri Gilpin (Daphne and Roz in Frasier) set up their own production company to make an American version of this?

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout ... 87034&cs=1
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

All I know is that I love the Vicar of Dibley!!!! Goes well with me being a female minister. I have six VHS with about 3 shows each on them!!!!
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
Matty-Mouse
Special Edition

Post by Matty-Mouse »

Father Ted and Vicar Of Dibley are 2 of the best show's of the 90's and are just to good to be re-made for US audiences. If they think Vicar and Ted are good enough to remake just get the rights to show the originals on prime time in the states!
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?

Well thats actually low in fat so you can eat as much of that as you like.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Actually, British sitcoms have been remade here in the states for years, that isn't anything new. I guess the thinking is that it will be better recieved by the public here if it is remade. I think it may also be an effort to get rid of certain things that may pertain directly to your culture and may not be understood by Middle America.

Every once in a while they even subtitle British people who have really thick accents, its pretty funny.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Maerj wrote:Actually, British sitcoms have been remade here in the states for years, that isn't anything new. I guess the thinking is that it will be better recieved by the public here if it is remade. I think it may also be an effort to get rid of certain things that may pertain directly to your culture and may not be understood by Middle America.

Every once in a while they even subtitle British people who have really thick accents, its pretty funny.
And yet we have to sit through your American Culture for everything? I know it's not a TV programme, but Space Jam and it's hero worship of Michael Jordan meant absolutely nothing to 99.9% of the European audience. Wouldn't it enrich an American audience to actually watch TV from another country once in a while?

Plus, some of your American accents are pretty thick too you know! :)
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

The only show that I know of that was remade in the UK (that originated in North America) is "Who's the Boss?" I can't remember what is was called over there.

But another show the US kinda stole from the UK (well not really: it bought the idea for) is "Trading Spaces". And I think it's just as popular, if not more, than it's European counterpart.
Defy Gravity...
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Prince Adam wrote:The only show that I know of that was remade in the UK (that originated in North America) is "Who's the Boss?" I can't remember what is was called over there.
The Upper Hand.

The UK also remade "The Golden Girls" as "Brighton Belles". It was God-awful! :)
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Well, there you have it, the UK remakes US shows too. So, I don't see what the big deal is.

Also, we DO see UK shows here and movies. We have the BBC America channel here. Many of us have loved British programs for years. Some UK shows shown here over the years include: Dr. Who, Monty Python, Benny Hill, Blake's 7, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Danger Mouse, The Prisoner (one of the greatest series ever), East Enders, All Creatures Great and Small, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, Mr. Bean Absolutely Fabulous, Are you Being Served?, The Young Ones and many others.

If you are that sick of Amercian programs and movies, I can send you my address so you can send your Disney DVDs to me! Then you will be rid of them! :)
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Maerj I wasn't getting at you personally (or anyone else on this board I would guess).

I just find it strange that in the whole history of US television, only one UK show has ever been shown on one of the major Networks (The Avengers if you're interested). As I understand it, BBC America is a pay-channel.

I probably came across a little harsher than I intended - but surely you must agree (especially if you watch British shows on BBC America or PBS) that a little diversity would be a good thing for the nation as a whole?

That said, the American culture overall is probably more diverse than the British – it's certainly a greater melting pot of nationalities. It just doesn't seem to be reflected in the mainstream American media, which seems very conservative.

Close to 10 years ago I had an American staying over who was watching UK television, and he was amazed at what was allowed on our television. He was especially horrified – in a good way - at "Absolutely Fabulous", which was relatively new at the time, and informed me that it would never be shown on American network television. He also seemed astonished by the sexual content and mild nudity of some of our dramas. God knows what he would think about the nudity in our newer programmes.

I'm not sick of American programmes and movies. I never even implied that in my post. I was just pointing out that the argument works both ways. There's often cultural references in American shows that are lost on non-American audiences (comedies especially) but we just watch them – and probably learn something at the same time. Refusing to even show British shows on American networks does suggest that the network executives are underestimating the American public.

But then again, these are the same execs that cancelled "Clerks The Series" virtually before it started, and then can't understand how it sold so many DVDs. :roll:

Don't believe our self-created lie that the British make the best television - the quality of our television has fallen greatly over the past 10 years, and I get the distinct impression nobody gives a damn for quality or originality these days. It seems every new British drama is just people shouting at each other for no reason. The writers can't even be bothered to write proper arguments these days. Something like E.R. puts our equivalent, Casualty, to shame.

The sad thing is, some of those programmes you mention in your post (especially The Prisoner and Monty Python) would never get made in the UK these days. While the US is embracing inteligent telefantasy and surrealism with open arms at the moment. The UK no longer leads the world in quality television (if it ever did).

I appreciate good television or films whether they are British, American, Australian (Loomis if you're reading this, I love "Round the Twist!") or whatever.

UK remakes of US shows are relatively rare, as we tend to just show the American originals. Apart from the two mentioned, I can't think of any others (but I suppose there must be others).

Now just to keep on the Disney theme, I understand Buena Vista have the US rights to "Duckula" – do they also have the "Dangermouse" rights?
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

[quote]I appreciate good television or films whether they are British, American, Australian (Loomis if you're reading this, I love "Round the Twist!") or whatever.[/quote]

Was "Round the Twist" a show about a father and his 3 kids who move into a lighthouse with a crusty old keeper? And they encounter all sorts of supernatural activity? I think I remember that from Ontario's TVO. Was there one about a haunted outhouse, a dragon egg, the ghost of a seagull, a cabbege (spelling?) patch baby, an evil red-headed cousin, and an owl hat that allows the wearer (the daughter) to fly? When I was little my parents wouldn't let me watch it (they thought it was too creepy for me) so I had to watch it when they weren't around.

[quote]Now just to keep on the Disney theme, I understand Buena Vista have the US rights to "Duckula" – do they also have the "Dangermouse" rights?[/quote]

What are these shows?
Defy Gravity...
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

we dont want your harry potter junk but it sure makes money for you british author does it not!? if you dont like america you can send those Disney DVD's and VHS back over here! :D
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:we dont want your harry potter junk but it sure makes money for you british author does it not!? if you dont like america you can send those Disney DVD's and VHS back over here! :D
Yes, but even then you "Americanise" the text :)

And where have I said I don't like America?
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

How is the Harry Potter text Americanized?

still it has words like mum, Happy Christmas.... what's different about it?
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

poco wrote:How is the Harry Potter text Americanized?

still it has words like mum, Happy Christmas.... what's different about it?
Well, there's the title of the first book :) Plus all the UK spellings "centre", "colour", "rumour" etc will have been altered.

Jake knows more than me, he did go through a list of the changes with me on messenger. When he gets back on-line perhaps he could share his knowledge.

The only one he mentioned that I can remember is that Ron's Christmas presents from his mum have been changed from "Jumpers" in the UK to "Sweaters" in America.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Was "Round the Twist" a show about a father and his 3 kids who move into a lighthouse with a crusty old keeper? And they encounter all sorts of supernatural activity? I think I remember that from Ontario's TVO. Was there one about a haunted outhouse, a dragon egg, the ghost of a seagull, a cabbege (spelling?) patch baby, an evil red-headed cousin, and an owl hat that allows the wearer (the daughter) to fly? When I was little my parents wouldn't let me watch it (they thought it was too creepy for me) so I had to watch it when they weren't around.
Yep. It's fantastic. Well, some of the later ones weren't as good. They started selling DVDs in Australia, but they now seem to be out of print.
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

sounds like a language thing. Wonder what Christmas is in Hong Knog for all those readers.

A jumper to me is sort of like over-alls....

what did Ron say it was in the movie...jumper or sweater?
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

2099net,

I never thought that you were attacking me personally, I never took it that way. It did seem like an attack on our nation as a whole though, so thats why I jumped to it's defense. I DO appreciate your explanation though, that was very kind and thoughtful of you. Things can often come across differently online than in person and I am glad that we have avoided creating an international incident! :lol:

One thing that I have alwayshoped for has been to see a big budget Dr. Who series. I loved that show as a child, especially the Tom Baker episodes. I hope they bring it back one day, with better special effects. They could do the Daleks CG and have them hover a foot off of the ground. They have to keep their voices though "Exterminate!!!"
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

One thing that I have alwayshoped for has been to see a big budget Dr. Who series. I loved that show as a child, especially the Tom Baker episodes. I hope they bring it back one day, with better special effects. They could do the Daleks CG and have them hover a foot off of the ground. They have to keep their voices though "Exterminate!!!"
Well unlike others over here in the UK, I had no complaints about the Paul McGann telemovie. And I wouldn't mind a series based on that (but it will never happen).

I don't think Dr Who needs to have a large budget as such, but it certainly needs to have changed to meet today's needs. However, I feel the telemovie let itself down by not having a typical "Invasion" storyline. It also had a lot of exposition in order to explain the regeneration, which would probably be lost of most mainstream American viewers. (Not that I'm calling you mainstream Maerj!)

Ultimately a new Doctor Who series will never happen, and in someways it's probably for the best - the BBC is just dithering over it all the time. I'm not sure the BBC as an organisation has the will or the talent to make Who anymore :(