Massachusetts town moves to put a price tag on cursing

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Massachusetts town moves to put a price tag on cursing

Post by ajmrowland »

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... ublic?lite
At a town meeting Monday night, residents voted 183-50 to approve a proposal from the police chief to impose a $20 fine on public profanity.

Officials insist the proposal was not intended to censor casual or private conversations, but instead to crack down on loud, profanity-laden language used by teens and other young people in the downtown area and public parks.

I'm really happy about it," Mimi Duphily, a store owner and former town selectwoman, said after the vote. "I'm sure there's going to be some fallout, but I think what we did was necessary.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

What, no South Park style chip implant?

-Skyler
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Helen Lovejoy. I would just love to punch her one of these days.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

It's not like this is really that bad. I'm sure if someone curses because they stub their toe, it won't be fined (well it shouldn't be!) but otherwise it really is no problem.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I don't like to hear cursing in public either, even though I'm quite the potty mouth. Maybe the threat of a $20 fine will cause some people to think twice before yelling obscenities (and they really need to be spoken obnoxiously loudly to be heard in public) in a supermarket, subway, etc. I also don't like to hear God's or Jesus' names spoken profanely in public, but that's another issue!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Disney Duster wrote:It's not like this is really that bad. I'm sure if someone curses because they stub their toe, it won't be fined (well it shouldn't be!) but otherwise it really is no problem.
it's not the worst thing to happen no, but it's just one more law that goes against constitutional rights.

"Freedom of Speech"
a-net-fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by a-net-fan »

ajmrowland wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:It's not like this is really that bad. I'm sure if someone curses because they stub their toe, it won't be fined (well it shouldn't be!) but otherwise it really is no problem.
it's not the worst thing to happen no, but it's just one more law that goes against constitutional rights.

"Freedom of Speech"
Not necessarily. Anyone can express ones self without using profanity / vulgar language in public. It has gotten way out of hand and really hits you when you start hearing children under five years old using words they should never have even heard at that age. I applaud the new law and hope it spreads across the country. Our society really needs to re-gain some class.
JUST ANOTHER 27 YEAR OLD DISNEY BUFF.....
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Believe it or not I'm actually in favor of this move....we live in a society now where it seems that we have no class. What happened to manners, class, and etiqute?
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SWrQ3FwlzAY" frameborder="0"></iframe>

:P
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

what a pointless and wasteful law.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Super Aurora wrote:what a pointless and wasteful law.
Agree, but that sig of yours is great! :D
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:what a pointless and wasteful law.
Agree, but that sig of yours is great! :D
Thanks. Thank Tim(princephillipfan) since he provided those awesome images in the Haunted Mansion thread. My favorite is the Opera glasses woman. I would most definitely but that painting/artwork if I could and hang it on my wall.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

a-net-fan wrote:
ajmrowland wrote: it's not the worst thing to happen no, but it's just one more law that goes against constitutional rights.

"Freedom of Speech"
Not necessarily. Anyone can express ones self without using profanity / vulgar language in public. It has gotten way out of hand and really hits you when you start hearing children under five years old using words they should never have even heard at that age. I applaud the new law and hope it spreads across the country. Our society really needs to re-gain some class.
yeah, but I chose to take it literally.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

CampbellzSoup wrote:Believe it or not I'm actually in favor of this move....we live in a society now where it seems that we have no class. What happened to manners, class, and etiqute?
1. the internet

2. we never really had much class in the first place.

3. overworked parents

4. alcohol

the list goes on......