What is Maturity?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

What is Maturity?

Post by ajmrowland »

And now that the question is asked, before you answer, consider this: maturity has been defined in the past as social behavior that, in the opinion of your peers, befits someone your age. It still is, with how people react to children and "kiddy entertainment" but now it's also kind of mutated into something based on position, working status, how much money you pay, your punctuality, and even the interests you're allowed to have. Not to mention religion and beliefs, culture, and every other stereotype and all the "expectations" your parents have for you. If you're confused by now, good. This is a question after all.

However, everybody and their mother who calls themselves mature and then doesnt believe anyone who says otherwise, even if the actions are "mature", they're just arrogant.

You can imagine, I just talked to my mother. :roll:
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Well from what I know of you, you seem really mature.

Everyone here can and has probably been thought of as immature by other people because we like Disney so much, and of course the people that think that of us are dead wrong, and in a way immature themselves. : D

Maturity is...what seems like something only adults or ages older than your own would do. That's not a proper definition but I think that is what you could safely categorize any thing anyone said was "mature" or not into.

Usually maturity is also about becoming better than you have been before. And yes, maturity can extend to sticking to doing things other people would deem immature (usually certain interests) but maturely saying "What other people think doesn't matter, I'm doing what's mature because I'm doing what I need to make me happy and is not hurting myself or others."

It's ironic really. The mature person may say "That's immature, that's what kids do, not what adults do." And then an even more mature person would say "That's immature, to not open your mind to see we have perfectly valid and adult reasons for/there's nothing wrong with doing what we do that you deem as immature."
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Maturity is subjective.
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:Maturity is subjective.
Isn't everything?
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

It's the ability to reason, react, and cope to any given situation in an appropriate manner. The main issue though is that everyone's got their own opinion on what is or isn't "appropriate" and people often give priorities to the wrong ideals.

I've always been a kid at heart, and hope that I'll always be. Some might consider that immature, but really, who cares as long as it's not hurting anyone?
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

^^^Thank You. I was trying to think of what to say, but I think this one fits the definition correctly.

I try to be/act mature whenever possible, though it's almost hard (as I'm sure a lot of people with Autism/Aspergers Syndrome can relate to).
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

enigmawing wrote:It's the ability to reason, react, and cope to any given situation in an appropriate manner. The main issue though is that everyone's got their own opinion on what is or isn't "appropriate" and people often give priorities to the wrong ideals.

I've always been a kid at heart, and hope that I'll always be. Some might consider that immature, but really, who cares as long as it's not hurting anyone?
^^^^^Thank you.

Some people equate, as I may have said, some people equate maturity with things like punctuality, but I doubt that's a good association to make.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I know we can't see it when we read what people write on the computer or in their letters, e-mails, etc., but I think it also helps to be able to stand up to criticism and handle what is thrown at us without running for help.

Also, there is one sure sign of immaturity when a person is talking to another person, and every sentence is punctuated with "you know". It gets to be really grating when they go on and on with it. A mature person would think about their thoughts about the subject matter and not have to relegate themselves to "you know".

Also the use of swear words is a very big sign of immaturity. A person who can't use a complete sentence describing something and has to insert a swear word needs to know that it is a sign of immaturity and lack of respect for the person they are talking to or about. The world would be a better place if no one used "f"-bombs and the like. They don't make you a better person because you can use the words, they mostly show your lack of respect and sometimes lack of education, along with being taught by caring parents who don't use that language.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

dvdjunkie wrote:Also the use of swear words is a very big sign of immaturity. A person who can't use a complete sentence describing something and has to insert a swear word needs to know that it is a sign of immaturity and lack of respect for the person they are talking to or about. The world would be a better place if no one used "f"-bombs and the like. They don't make you a better person because you can use the words, they mostly show your lack of respect and sometimes lack of education, along with being taught by caring parents who don't use that language.
How ironic, because I personally find that point of view to be very prudish. And how is that mature?
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I think sometimes it's the association that is often made between swearing, and stereotypical urban people who act like jackasses.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

For the record I agree with dvdjunkie to a degree. I don't agree with him fully because sometimes swear words are used "appropriately" by people who are older than children, in cases such as to show how mad or upset they are at someone or something that they can't speak without using such words.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think speech patterns have anything to do with maturity or the lack thereof. To say someone isn't mature because they might say "you know" or "like" is so... :lol: :roll: I guess the 2000+ generations are screwed.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Disney Duster wrote:For the record I agree with dvdjunkie to a degree. I don't agree with him fully because sometimes swear words are used "appropriately" by people who are older than children, in cases such as to show how mad or upset they are at someone or something that they can't speak without using such words.
I would agree with that if it werent for one thing: We learn these words as children, and either by peers or some other means, are desensitized and get into the habit of using them usually by middle school.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Disney Duster wrote:For the record I agree with dvdjunkie to a degree.
I would too if I thought he were actually concerned with whether it's used appropriately or not. He flat-out said he thought it makes people look uneducated, always. And then proceeded to go on about immaturity in the case of people swearing like it's one of the biggest problems out there. Remember this is also the same guy who once told me gay people shouldn't have any problems with the way their rights are violated because he knows A gay guy who doesn't care.

And children do smart things all the time. Why couldn't they be capable of understanding how to use curse words intelligently?
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Age discrimination; that's why. And the fear that they'd become sinners like us.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

To Answer Lazario's comment about kids learning swear words and understanding them.

The use of swear words does not make you a better person. You are a better person for being able to handle stress or things of that nature without resorting to using foul language. Let's face it, it wasn't until the 20th Century that most of the vile swear words came into being.

And your reference to the Gay people that I know. I think you are a little off base there. I am the oldest of 11 children and I have a brother who is gay and had a sister who was gay, but she committed suicide due to the pressures of society and her job. My brother worked for the State of California for almost forty years, and is now retired with a six-figure income. He has a very good life with a partner that has been with him for over thirty years. I have never and never will use any terms that one could call gay-bashing, because some of my best friends are gay.

That is the one place that you and I disagree on, Lazario. You seem to have the "oh, woe is me, I'm gay and no one likes me" attitude, when you could just make it point to better yourself in your choice of employment and quit blaming everything on the fact that you are gay. Most of my gay friends that you would meet you would not know that they were gay, because they don't flaunt it, they just are. and they all have great jobs and very wonderful life partners. They are welcome in my home anytime.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

dvdjunkie wrote: Let's face it, it wasn't until the 20th Century that most of the vile swear words came into being.
Incorrect.

Curse words have been in the human language since there has been a human language. The F word has German origins dating back to the 15th century.
The C word for a woman's private area has been around since the 13th century.

Canterbury Tales and Shakespeare include many curse words. And curse words have evolved for centuries. Sure, the F and C word are probably the worst NOW...but think of the future. Heck the word "pants" used to be considered a pretty serious curse word at one time in the UK. So the most vile curse words used in the 20th century are actually much older than you think.

I don't believe using curse words automatically make you immature. But maturity and immaturity is subjective. My opinion is NOT indeed FACT. However I did post historical facts on curse word origin and history. Neither is your's. But I know that is a long standing confusion for you. That your opinions equal fact. I find that a bit immature and ignorant myself. But opinions are like buttholes huh?

All it takes is a google search to see each word's history for yourself. Besides "f*** me now honey" sounds so much better than "let's have sexual intercourse." :) But again, that's just my opinion.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Siren wrote:All it takes is a google search to see each word's history for yourself. Besides "f*** me now honey" sounds so much better than "let's have sexual intercourse." :) But again, that's just my opinion.
These kinds of posts are just one of the many reasons that make me so glad you're back. :D
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

dvdjunkie wrote:To Answer Lazario's comment about kids learning swear words and understanding them.

The use of swear words does not make you a better person. You are a better person for being able to handle stress or things of that nature without resorting to using foul language. Let's face it, it wasn't until the 20th Century that most of the vile swear words came into being.
So I can be mad and violent, but not swear when under stress?

A better idea would be to eliminate the stress at the source, as doctors agree that swearing is a healthy non-violent way of relieving stress. Habitual swearing may not always be good, but we cannot deny that it happens frequently.

I'm not a huge swearer. I swear sometimes-every day, in fact-but in comparison to some people, that's mild.

And Siren makes quite a good point. Swearwords have existed for centuries-certainly modern ones have.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

About children using swear words: Look, there's certain things that children shouldn't do because they are bad and not meant for their younger psyche. Curse words are meant to be words that mean the worst things you can say. Children are not supposed to know about the worst things of the world yet. They can't handle certain scary or violent or sexual things, stories, or movies for this very reason.

Childhood is an innocent time, and we should try to keep it that way unless we must inform our children about bad things, and curse words are not something we need to tell our children about, so it's one thing we can not throw on them in order to keep their childhood more, well, nice. I know that you are a rather...dark, cynical person, Lazario? But I think you could agree with me, you wish your childhood was kept more innocent, don't you? Do you think the world is better if we let children use the worst words in the world which are meant to hurt people?

Actually, to be honest, no, children would not use curse words properly. They would not fully get what they mean and they would not use them appropriately. They would not be mature enough to use them.
ajmrowland wrote:I would agree with that if it werent for one thing: We learn these words as children, and either by peers or some other means, are desensitized and get into the habit of using them usually by middle school.
What are you using this to say, that swearing is a sign of maturity, that it isn't, that it should be used, or it shouldn't be at all?