I need help trying to find this rare Mexican film...

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

I need help trying to find this rare Mexican film...

Post by disneyfella »

I have been searching the internet far and wide for a rare Mexican film from the 1950s called "Amor En 4 Tiempos". I have found a non-subtitled version on YouTube, but I am looking for a DVD, VHS, laserdisc or blu ray version (preferably with English subtitles). I'm hoping someone on here has a lot more experience surfing international e-tailers and might be able to help.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: I need help trying to find this rare Mexican film...

Post by Escapay »

Hey there, disneyfella,

I figured the best places to check for a DVD of the film would be Amazon's Mexican site, ZonaDVD, and Mixup.com, as those are the most frequently-used (to my knowledge) Mexican home media sites. I even looked up any general Mexican online shopping sites (Sanborns, for example). Unfortunately, none of my searches yielded any results, even when I tried both the Spanish title Amor en cuatro tiempos and the English translation, Love in Four Times. I even tried Four Times in Love in Google just to see what would happen, and ended up finding an interesting article from the UK's Daily Mail.

After that, I figured the LaserDisc DataBase might have it indexed since they have catalogued virtually every LD release out there. Granted, most of the LDs indexed are mainly release from US, Canada, UK, France, or Japan, but I figured there might be something. But sadly, again, no results for the film. Another longshot was DVD Compare, which claims to be the largest DVD database (though with a slant towards action/sci-fi/cult/horror/nerd genres than all genres), and as expected, it didn't contain any listing for the film. And since DVD Compare often gets its comparisons from Gary Tooze's DVD Beaver, I thought he might have compared versions of the film. Sadly, his Google-custom-search doesn't include any results for that title (in English or Spanish) either.

Since VHS isn't catalogued by internet users the way LDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays are, I didn't bother looking for it, especially online VHS listings are usually just Wikipedia lists for Disney or other major US studios.

Even just doing a quoted search of the film's title on Google brings up various database entries for the film, but none that actually show if an official release was ever made. A rudimentary search on e-bay also just brings up a listing for the original poster, going for $30.000 (not too bad). Truth be told, I think the full version you found on YouTube (this one) is the only one out there. That could possibly be an upload of a full version of the film that once made the rounds on the torrents (as "Amor en cuatro tiempos (1955) Xvid-SUMO" or "Amor en cuatro tiempos (1955) Xvid-FANTA"), though those torrents seem to be dead as well (as are many major torrent sites).

I'm actually quite intrigued about this film now after having tried to find if any official release was made; now I want to watch it with English subtitles, too. :)

(And in an unrelated note, I want to read Love in the Time of Cholera since that book would sometimes come up in the results.)

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Re: I need help trying to find this rare Mexican film...

Post by disneyfella »

Wow! Thanks Albert for all the searching. I won't give up hope :) It really is a beautiful film, and I may one day find it on 16mm or 35mm for us yet. Until then, at least we have the YouTube upload. It looks like it is from an airing on the Mexican classic movie channel "de Pelicula".
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney