Your Pet Peeves

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:So none of this shyt huh?
Whatev's
Hawt. That's fine if it's on hot girls. As long as they are tight and form fitting.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

^ time for you to do murder ay?
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Pet Peeves: Car Accessories
  • Truck "balls" - Oh look, dat truck is so badazz it's got some balls hangin' down! Da driver must really be badazz too!
  • Peeing Calvin decals (from Calvin & Hobbes) - Hyuk hyuk! He's peeing on Ford (or Chevy, or some football team, or whatever they stick on there.)
  • FEMALE peeing Calvin stickers - that's just messed up.
  • Spinner hubcaps and wheels.
  • Tiny wheels and tires that stick out and make the car look like an insect.
  • People who throw a bunch of fiberglass crap on some junky car with a junky engine.
  • Exhausts that make the car sound like a lawnmower.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:^ time for you to do murder ay?
Murder? I don't know what you're talking about.Image

littlefuzzy wrote:
Please elaborate on this interesting information a bit more. I'm extraordinarily curious with interest.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Super Aurora wrote:
Christopher_TCUIH wrote:^ time for you to do murder ay?
Murder? I don't know what you're talking about.Image

littlefuzzy wrote:
Please elaborate on this interesting information a bit more. I'm extraordinarily curious with interest.
Silly me, I googled female calvin peeing, and forgot about the depraved depths to which the internet will sink.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Calvin-Female-P ... 5d284b7ed8

Also, I missed an item on my list above - Fake Bullet Holes in cars. "OOO, those say you're even more of a badazz than big dangly balls on the back, because somebody must have shot at ya!"
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Disney Duster wrote:Linden...don't you believe the individual soul, spirit, or will determines personality and most things about us, more than genetics?
Wow, sorry, Disney Duster. I've been gone from this section of the board for a while. Yes, I believe that, but Dr. Frankenollie doesn't, as far as I can tell. I think he would believe in the broad genetic view, which would make intellectual, athletic, and personal (etc.) potential pretty much up to one's genetics. So I was pointing out that, according to Dr. Frankenollie's reasoning, there's not really anything to be proud of.

Goliath, as for my grandpa putting a flag in his yard and shining a light on it at night, that's not necessarily blind patriotism. He obviously consciously made the choice to be American, and he follows his politics. Plus, shining a light on it at night is flag etiquette. I'm not sure how it is in the Netherlands, but here, if a flagpole is erected anywhere, it must have a light shining on it at night. Some people forget about it, so I was pointing out that he does things right, not that he goes overboard.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

@ Linden: I guess American and Dutch culture is very different that way. Waving the national flag or having it hang from a flagpole on your house or in your yard is something that is very, very, very rarely seen in The Netherlands and is often saved for special occasions, like national holidays. We tend to associate flag-waving with nationalism; and a lot of people are wary of patriotism and "being proud of one's country". I think this has got a lot to do with our continent's history of wars which have been invoked by nationalistic movements (Germany, the Balkans).
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I don't know if this qualifies as a pet peeve because it actually makes me fucking FURIOUS:

Netflix changing ratios from movies which are 2.35:1 on Watch Instantly. In fact, here's what they did to Scream:

(The pics aren't perfectly synched. But they're only off by tiny fractions of a second. Everything you see cut off is actually cut off from the sides.)

And they're doing this to DOZENS of movies. I've only noticed a few but now that I check, it's all over the place. They're doing it to Warner Bros., Miramax / Dimension, Columbia / Tri-Star, even 20th Century Fox (Pulp Fiction, Enough, Disclosure, The Public Eye, Free Willy, Deep Blue Sea, The Glass House, The Andromeda Strain, Sphere, Maid in Manhattan, Die Hard 2, Timecop, Scream AND Scream 3) but that's because I haven't been looking. I still think $8.00 a month is a good price but I refuse to try watching John Carpenter's Escape from New York (said to be one of the greatest action films of all time) in an incorrect aspect ratio.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Goliath wrote:@ Linden: I guess American and Dutch culture is very different that way. Waving the national flag or having it hang from a flagpole on your house or in your yard is something that is very, very, very rarely seen in The Netherlands and is often saved for special occasions, like national holidays. We tend to associate flag-waving with nationalism; and a lot of people are wary of patriotism and "being proud of one's country". I think this has got a lot to do with our continent's history of wars which have been invoked by nationalistic movements (Germany, the Balkans).
Having flagpoles isn't exactly standard, but it's not unheard of. In my experience, it's generally veterans who have them. It's more common to just have American flags from those flag holder thingies that attach to your house. But even those normally just come out for the Fourth of July.

My pet peeve that I've been thinking about lately is nicknames. It drives me crazy when someone starts calling you a nickname without your permission right after you first meet. I think you should wait for the person to tell you their nickname, ask for permission, or just know the person really well. That's why I never give any of you guys nicknames. If anyone wants to be called a nickname, you'll have to tell me, because otherwise, I'll painstakinly type out every darned number you have in your username.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I know that everyone is waiting for the "old Man" to chime in with some of his pet peeves, so here goes:

Cell phones - I hate people who think it is cool to be seen with their ear stuck to them 24/7. Originally cell phones were for emergency contacts only, and I know that technology has brought them up to what we have now and it bugs the crap out of me at their misuse. If the call is urgent, then yes I can see someone on the phone, but if it is just someone you will see in the next couple of hours or minutes, why bother. And people who tell me that without their cell phone they would be cut off from life itself. What happened to talking to your friends in person, or asking for help from a passerby, instead of dialing up somebody in the next city or state and telling them how upset you are because such and such just happened. I own a cell phone, and I don't even know my own number. I never call myself, and it is only on, if I am out of the house, running errands or something.

eBooks - this is carrying technology a little too far. What happened to reading a real book instead of paying to have it downloaded on some iPad or something so you can read it. Maybe it is just me, but I have better things to do with my money than waste it on silly technology things that take away reality from my life.

Has anyone ever thought about the money they spend for this so-called "smart" phone and all of its assets? I don't think so. I don't really care about keeping up with the Jones's and being the first in this techno-world to own some new electronic thing that will soon pass with the time.

There are other things, but they are petty compared to cell phones and Nook or Kindle things.

I buy books, and I have a land line home phone, so if the call is important the person can leave a message and I will call them back. Even if I knew my cell phone number I wouldn't give it out to anyone other than my immediate family, and they evidentally know my number because that is the only people who call me.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

^ This young whippersnapper completely agrees with you on all points. :wink:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

dvdjunkie wrote:I know that everyone is waiting for the "old Man" to chime in with some of his pet peeves, so here goes:

Cell phones - I hate people who think it is cool to be seen with their ear stuck to them 24/7. Originally cell phones were for emergency contacts only, and I know that technology has brought them up to what we have now and it bugs the crap out of me at their misuse. If the call is urgent, then yes I can see someone on the phone, but if it is just someone you will see in the next couple of hours or minutes, why bother. And people who tell me that without their cell phone they would be cut off from life itself. What happened to talking to your friends in person, or asking for help from a passerby, instead of dialing up somebody in the next city or state and telling them how upset you are because such and such just happened. I own a cell phone, and I don't even know my own number. I never call myself, and it is only on, if I am out of the house, running errands or something.

eBooks - this is carrying technology a little too far. What happened to reading a real book instead of paying to have it downloaded on some iPad or something so you can read it. Maybe it is just me, but I have better things to do with my money than waste it on silly technology things that take away reality from my life.

Has anyone ever thought about the money they spend for this so-called "smart" phone and all of its assets? I don't think so. I don't really care about keeping up with the Jones's and being the first in this techno-world to own some new electronic thing that will soon pass with the time.

There are other things, but they are petty compared to cell phones and Nook or Kindle things.

I buy books, and I have a land line home phone, so if the call is important the person can leave a message and I will call them back. Even if I knew my cell phone number I wouldn't give it out to anyone other than my immediate family, and they evidentally know my number because that is the only people who call me.

Image[/img]
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

^ :lol:

I more-or-less agree with you on all your points dvdjunkie; I don't bother trying to keep up with the latest editions of iPods, iPads, iPhones, etc.

iDon'tGiveACrap, thank you very much.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Goliath wrote:^ This young whippersnapper completely agrees with you on all points. :wink:
same here.

though i still want an ipad for other reasons.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I practically live on the computer (when I can get freaking access to my home computer- I leave the room so often because my roommates annoy the hell out of me), so I'll just edge away from this burgeoning discussion like Mickey trying to sneak past Willy the Giant.

Super Aurora, I have held my tongue about this for a year now... but I can no longer remain silent: what is UP with those friggin' rock wrinkled black & white smiley faced icons you keep posting? They are stupid, ugly, and unfunny. Except in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFFVhxjYUpM . Because there's comical music playing and because its' mouth moves.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Lazario wrote: Super Aurora, I have held my tongue about this for a year now... but I can no longer remain silent: what is UP with those friggin' rock wrinkled black & white smiley faced icons you keep posting? They are stupid, ugly, and unfunny.
Says you. But I don't care what you think.

Here's some more if you like.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Lazario wrote:Super Aurora, I have held my tongue about this for a year now... but I can no longer remain silent: what is UP with those friggin' rock wrinkled black & white smiley faced icons you keep posting? They are stupid, ugly, and unfunny. Except in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFFVhxjYUpM . Because there's comical music playing and because its' mouth moves.
They are internet memes, from 4chan or something.

Edit:
http://ohinternet.com/Trollface
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

The image actually originate from DA. lol.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Re: Your Pet Peeves

Post by thedisneyspirit »

There's way too many that I agree with here (animal cruelty, boys with pants hung down showing their dirty underwear, screaming babies/kids in theaters...), so i'll just add new ones

-People thinking latinos only come in brown skin and that their culture is just an extension of Mexico. Some people get pretty mean with their comments regarding this ("you can't be latino, you're too white" "you don't represent latinos"- even if you've lived ten years in South America, my experiences are less valid than the schmuck who's never laid a foot there or can't even name all the countries down there...)

-People looking at me in the bus. i don't mind being looked at (checked out or just...looked) when walking but when i'm at the bus or a store it's very creepy. it's always this type of old woman with a nasty expression who's giving me the bad eye, even if she's sitting down and i'm just hanging by the pole. I don't even know what makes her do it, considering i don't dress strange or the like to warrant a stare ... :?

-People/animation fans who insist "animation isn't for kids!!!!!!" but then refuse, hate and berate any animated film that tries to be more mature or tackle more adult subjects. :lol: this sounds weird and oddly specific but i've had this experience around other disney fansites like Fanpop and other places and they hate stuff like Fritz the Cat, the Last Unicorn, Persepolis, Watershed Down and South Park movie get just for tackling "adult" issues and instead say the Disney sequels are the best movies ever... its baffling. :? i've come to hate Disney sequels for this reason :lol:

-False people, as in, false friends. they act all nice one moment but then bitch at your back. or you try to talk and meet up with this person, but it's obvious they don't like you, and you feel it, but this person is never open and never says "you know, maybe we should stop looking each other"...i don't get what is with some people of always trying to appear nice all the time to everyone. the coldness and falseness is worse than any brutal honesty.
-Also, people who live off their wealth and money but won't do anything to help a family member in need. they come asking for help, but they just shut their ears and blabber off about their next trip to Disneyland and ignores problems like sick relatives or the like. and the only thing they say to you the next time you see them? "You've lost weight! Oh, that looks fantastic!" You know, it would look "fantastic" if you had helped me in the time i asked you...

-How people treat bisexuals. either the gay crowd see them as "false" and trying to "enter into our safe space" or the straights just go off and say it's a phase.

-People who treat bad the staff/throw temper tantrums in stores.
Second hand embarrassment.

-Tomatoes.
they taste like shit.