Episode 4: A New Hope for Gay UD Threads?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Flanger-Hanger, overall you're right.

I live in the south, so it feels a bit more intense for me and it's hard not to let emotions get all wiled up, when all this is happening outside my door...Literally, there is a Fil-A down the street, and I saw the masses of my neighbors standing in lines where it would take them a good hour or two to get a damn chicken sandwich just to express how much they intolerant my wanting to get married, because for some warped reason, they've convinced themselves I'll be taking something away from them in gaining equal rights. I have been trying to brush it all off the last couple days, but it is disheartening nonetheless.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

DancingCrab wrote:Flanger-Hanger, overall you're right.

I live in the south, so it feels a bit more intense for me and it's hard not to let emotions get all wiled up, when all this is happening outside my door...Literally, there is a Fil-A down the street, and I saw the masses of my neighbors standing in lines where it would take them a good hour or two to get a damn chicken sandwich just to express how much they intolerant my wanting to get married, because for some warped reason, they've convinced themselves I'll be taking something away from them in gaining equal rights. I have been trying to brush it all off the last couple days, but it is disheartening nonetheless.
I would probably feel alot differently if I were in a situation like you described. My only point is to remember that they can buy all the chicken sandwiches all they want, but gay people are a) still going to get married somewhere and b) that "somewhere" is rising in number all the time.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

DancingCrab, don't let this get to you. I, too, am a gay man. Growing up Catholic, I only believed and had faith in my religion because of the morals from not killing/stealing to just being a kind human being. When I learned of Catholicism being against gays, I did not expect so many people to voice their opinion on it. I really wonder why they give a damn at all. But then I realized, being taught Catholicism, the church has scared everyone into thinking Hell is this awful place and it is extremely difficult to earn your place in Heaven. So, the hatred comes from a mixture of homophobia and people finding it easier to oppress another group rather than reflecting on their own sins. "Free points for Heaven."

So stay strong! I'll be here if you need someone to talk to :)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DancingCrab wrote:Flanger-Hanger, overall you're right.

I live in the south, so it feels a bit more intense for me and it's hard not to let emotions get all wiled up, when all this is happening outside my door...I have been trying to brush it all off the last couple days, but it is disheartening nonetheless.
You have my sympathy, as a fellow gay in the South (I have this dream that I would someday move to California, Canada or the UK, but that‘ll probably never happen. ;p). It could be worse; you could have family like that.

I can understand how it would really hurt to see people posting things like that on FB. Maybe I’m jaded at this point, but it doesn’t really hurt me to cut people out of my life. But, then, I get tired of most people anyway.

@ProfRatigan, I loved that article/post you linked to, especially the second point.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:^When he's donating millions to a group that actively tried to get a bill in Uganda passed that would make homosexuality punishable by DEATH, we have a right to call "Mr." (and I use the term loosely) Cathy a fascist. Those aren't 'opinions' they're prejudices.
Bingo!

Disney's Divinity wrote:I have seen some people going on a crusade saying how they "went to CFA again," as if Christians are the ones being discriminated against. :lol: Somehow they manage to always make it about them, and their rights.
Duster's not going to like hearing this but... it's almost always the way it is. A minority have a problem with something and they're deemed weak, wimpy, and too easy to offend. A majority group has a problem with something and it's the end of the world. Christians in America freak out over every tiny little thing yet they are ALWAYS the ones persecuting everyone else. Bad Analogy Time: it's kind of like they're the ones lighting a fire in the hut of a native grass village and they decide to scream like a little girl over a spider because they think they see someone breaking into their car.

Of course, this isn't news by any chance but it's a revelation considering the religious discussions that happen on UD.

DancingCrab wrote:Lazario, there is nothing wrong with his opinion, obviously I agree with his personal views on LGBT rights, but as a person of political power, he's overstepped himself by coming across as threatening to keep a business from operating that no matter how wrong they are, are still in the legal right. I think had he been more careful how he had worded his support, things might be a little bit less nuts right now. His threats, along with San Fran and Chicago, have just made it easier for people like Huckabee, Palin and Santorum to rally the people into flocking to chick-fil-a to protect their free speech. :roll:
Well, remember what Ratigan said. It most certainly doesn't apply in only Uganda. These groups Chik-Fil-A donates to have power and influence and if they had their way, they would kill people and think that's great. This is something every mayor should damn well inform the people about through any means possible yet, whether they do or not- you can't count on pieces of shit like Huckabee to even care. It doesn't matter what they allegedly start, this has been a war forever and you seem to think it's gotten worse just because more people are talking about it. For once, Duster couldn't be more right: screw people on Facebook! If you think there's any chance that SILENCE of opinions people already have makes the world better - you're very mistaken. In fact, I think what you're really arguing is: how can YOU live in a world angrier than it seemed to be before? Well, just remember that this hate existed already. If anything, it's coated in things like "oh this is really about the business" so you'll be afraid of the consequences of someone taking a stand. (UNLESS, again, you think this was a case of pandering to get votes... it could be.)

I've never been able to live with blinders on. And maybe other people take a bigger risk than me but this is true no matter what alleged incident of calling out what's right and wrong drives people to decide to do something hateful. You could literally say this kind of thing happens every time Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" plays- that someone votes Republican, buys a rifle, spits on a guy for walking differently. Etc. In fact, the argument you should be making and I think have failed to is about what drives Chik-Fil-A to make more money. Money which inevitably leads to someone in the world paying the price for our freedom. Outside of America, where it usually happens.

DancingCrab wrote:I live in the south, so it feels a bit more intense for me and it's hard not to let emotions get all wiled up, when all this is happening outside my door...Literally, there is a Fil-A down the street, and I saw the masses of my neighbors standing in lines where it would take them a good hour or two to get a damn chicken sandwich just to express how much they intolerant my wanting to get married, because for some warped reason, they've convinced themselves I'll be taking something away from them in gaining equal rights. I have been trying to brush it all off the last couple days, but it is disheartening nonetheless.
There's nothing I can say to - in light of this reply - make what I've said above seem less insensitive. But I have read it and I never think it's worth anything to say my heart goes out to someone else. But, just know it does. I completely appreciate what you've said here and the struggle you're going through. I guess I realize just as you do that nothing seems to make a difference. We fight and fight for scraps of dignity and the only roads we ever make are someone else rushes out to defend us. Because society still won't allow it to mean anything when we defend ourselves. Every thing we ever say is immediately dubbed and ductaped over with "Pervert! Deviant! Sinner! Pedophile!" I want to see this change just as much as you do.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

carolinakid wrote:The line at our local Chick-fil-A was out the door for Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. It made the local (Philadelphia) news.

I have an out gay friend who works for Chick-fil-A in Georgia and he says it's a fantastic company to work for.

I say if you disagree with Mr Cathy's opinions or how he chooses to donate his own money, then don't patronize Chick-fil-A. There are plenty of places where I refuse to spend my money. But for a mayor to tell a legitimate and legal business he doesn't want them in his town or will try to shut them down is wrong to me. That screams fascism to me.

And I loved Willam's video!
agreed. In fact its unconstitutional to forbid them from opening arestaurant over this as afew mayors have tried. A very good point that john stewart made last night.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

ajmrowland wrote:
carolinakid wrote:I say if you disagree with Mr Cathy's opinions or how he chooses to donate his own money, then don't patronize Chick-fil-A. There are plenty of places where I refuse to spend my money. But for a mayor to tell a legitimate and legal business he doesn't want them in his town or will try to shut them down is wrong to me. That screams fascism to me.
agreed.
Can't possibly quote this one enough:
ProfessorRatigan wrote:When he's donating millions to a group that actively tried to get a bill in Uganda passed that would make homosexuality punishable by DEATH, we have a right to call "Mr." (and I use the term loosely) Cathy a fascist. Those aren't 'opinions' they're prejudices.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Thought this relates to this topic. Personally i'm not all that informed or on track with this subject, but this video seems to relate to it somehow. Tell me what you think.

<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/AYL_n3cC.html?p=1" width="780" height="438" frameborder="0"></iframe><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#AYL_n3cC"></embed>

There really isn't any Chick-fil-A around here except one at a mall near my place and I do admit it taste amazing like the chicken nuggets. Though never knew or aware of it's anti-gay stigma till now. I guess it's a south thing since most of the food chain is located in the south? Correct me if I'm wrong.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Super Aurora wrote:There really isn't any Chick-fil-A around here except one at a mall near my place and I do admit it taste amazing like the chicken nuggets. Though never knew or aware of it's anti-gay stigma till now. I guess it's a south thing since most of the food chain is located in the south? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Nothing like that up here in New Hampshire. Many/most of us've never even heard of it, except in controversyland. I did hear the name dropped about a year ago but... I swear, I thought it was rapper. And that the name was pronounced "Chick Filla." Like skrilla.

Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

yeah, I live in Northern NJ near NYC and there seems to be only one near my place of all places. so I guess Chick-fil-a isn't really all that wide spread in the north where you and I live. I imagine because of that, it's the reason why Mr. Cathy wants to spread some chains up here at North such like Boston or any of the more liberal locations like San Francisco or Chicago.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Well, I hope he gets the fight of his worthless life.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-r ... 39428.html

I found this post to be so righteous in its anger and spite that I couldn't help but want to share it.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Lazario wrote:
ajmrowland wrote: agreed.
Can't possibly quote this one enough:
ProfessorRatigan wrote:When he's donating millions to a group that actively tried to get a bill in Uganda passed that would make homosexuality punishable by DEATH, we have a right to call "Mr." (and I use the term loosely) Cathy a fascist. Those aren't 'opinions' they're prejudices.
Oh, I agree with that too, but this has gone too far on both sides of the coin.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

What bothers me is that all those millions could have gone to education or medical research. Instead it's spent on an organization that promotes hate and bigotry.

I don't know what comes after this life, but if there is either a heaven or hell... this guy is gonna burn big time. I'm talking deep inner circle suffering at the hand of satan himself.

Yes I went there.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

ajmrowland wrote:Oh, I agree with that too, but this has gone too far on both sides of the coin.
Hmmm... I'm going to go with "no" on this one.

There is a HUGE difference between the power you think gay influence has to hurt business and the power business actually has to hurt people. You can't compare the two for a second. Not in this or any other case.
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

I LOVE Chick-fil-A!! They're sandwiches are freaking delicious! ...That being said, I haven't eaten there in about a year ever since their stance was made clear. Them being anti-gay isn't new at all. But glad it's getting much more attention now.

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea Chris, I like Chick-Fil-A a little too much. I really like even their cow advertising which I think is clever. I kind of new they were religious when they closed on Sundays and they even had a sign saying they think Sundays are special and you knew what they meant.

But, I hope this doesn't sound wrong, but I'll still eat at Chick-Fil-A. Why? Because I have the power, not this fastfood restaraunt which has to at least serve me whether I'm gay nor not. I want to show this whole debacle over their stance is nothing.
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

Disney Duster wrote:But, I hope this doesn't sound wrong, but I'll still eat at Chick-Fil-A. Why? Because I have the power, not this fastfood restaraunt which has to at least serve me whether I'm gay nor not. I want to show this whole debacle over their stance is nothing.
Well, you're putting money in their pockets, which they use to make donations to anti-gay groups. Soooo... sure, keep eating there; support them.

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Disney Duster wrote:I'll still eat at Chick-Fil-A.
And I'll still burn bibles, even though I know it bothers you when people forget how generous religion can kick itself into being at times.

Hey- sometimes it just gets really cold!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Burning Bibles is going out of your way to purposely hurt what the Bible stands for to people.

What I'm doing is not to purposely hurt something. It's to treat something as no big deal and nothing that's going to stop me. What will money to ant-gay organizations even do? Everyone knows gays are winning bit by bit. We're getting accepted more and more each day.

And there's probably lots of places that use our money for anti-gay organizations that we don't know about. We just know about Chik-Fil-A.