Episode 4: A New Hope for Gay UD Threads?

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

At the risk of contributing to something so off-topic, maybe you missed them pouring the water on her hands before they stepped on the pillow, and if that was her scream over a baby getting stepped on, worst acting ever! However, I skipped ahead of the video, so I may have asked myself the very same questions had I not. I skipped ahead because I wanted to get a glimpse of what I was going to see before I risked watching something I might not want to.

For something on-topic, I finished my persuasive speech on Gay Marriage (with no help with you guys when I asked for it!) and the teachers said we did an excellent job. I kind of wished that I could have worked more with my partner to agree on things, and I wish I didn't have my play that kept me from putting in more things I wanted to say, but at least what really mattered is the good grade, and it did say a lot of things I think were really important and persuading.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Disney Duster wrote:At the risk of contributing to something so off-topic, maybe you missed them pouring the water on her hands before they stepped on the pillow, and if that was her scream over a baby getting stepped on, worst acting ever! However, I skipped ahead of the video, so I may have asked myself the very same questions had I not. I skipped ahead because I wanted to get a glimpse of what I was going to see before I risked watching something I might not want to.
There was no blood in the scene, so I thought it was one of those horrible things in life we should actually see. No, it's not pleasent. But it's also not your typical exploitation movie shock.

Disney Duster wrote:For something on-topic, I finished my persuasive speech on Gay Marriage (with no help with you guys when I asked for it!)
We were too busy getting our hair and nails did. We'll post pics up on Facebook so you can see we had a good excuse.

(My way, naturally, of saying sorry; glad everything worked out for you)
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Jesus, does anyone else have really bad gaydar like I do?

The only way I'm ever going to get a boyfriend is by going to a gay bar. Damn hot straight guys. :(
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Laz, well since it was (apparently) based on history, seeing that kind of thing I guess is okay, but seeing certain things, even if they are based on real history/re-enact real history can also be just plain bad for you/desensitizing. Oh, and you weren't really one of the people around when I asked for help with my speech but thanks and all's ok.

Divinity, hey, please don't use his name in vain when you can help it, and I don't have good gaydar when a guy has just a few clues of being gay but apparently is straight. Though I think some of them may just be in the closet. But the best thing to do (I think) is go places you like, and finally a guy who is like you (if that's what you want) and is gay will be there.

It helps if the places you like deal with typically gay things like theater, lucky me! And yet, with all those gay guys, how can I find my true love? So you're lucky if you go places where there aren't so many gay guys, too.

But gay bars are okay, too, it's just they're more often looking for just sex.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Jesus, does anyone else have really bad gaydar like I do?

The only way I'm ever going to get a boyfriend is by going to a gay bar. Damn hot straight guys. :(
You seem to have the same problem I do.

In my case the kind of guy I find the most attractive is typically straight and I rarely meet other gay guys I either find attractive physically or for their personality to a large degree. Of course, others assuming I'm straight doesn't help either.

The best thing I'd recommend is to go to places (not necessarily bars) where other gays meet. At least in that case you'll know whether they are or not. With such a large pool of people, you might find someone.

I also have the problem of begin out to new people I meet since I usually can't tell if they're gay and I don't know how they'll react to finding out about me. I'd hate to loose out on a potential friend, just because they think I might be hitting on them.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Flanger-Hanger wrote: I also have the problem of begin out to new people I meet since I usually can't tell if they're gay and I don't know how they'll react to finding out about me. I'd hate to loose out on a potential friend, just because they think I might be hitting on them.
That's part of my problem. Especially since I live in the Bible belt, I'm afraid of scaring people off if they find out. I don't normally care, but if I like a guy enough to want to flirt, it would annoy me if he reacted that way. If I were brave enough, I'd just flat out ask. I'm afraid they'll think I'm a stalker though. :oops:

But, yeah, the kind of guys I always seem to be interested in "look" straight. It's not necessarily that they're any hotter than any other guys, but that they have a more down-to-earth personality. A lot of the explicitly "gay" guys I meet seem to be drama queens (and a lot of them seem to only care about sex). Of course, I know I can have a little drama myself, but I'm mostly not like that.

I've joined the gay pride group at my college campus, but I never seem to have time to go to the meetings. And I always get these messages about how these meetings aren't about hooking up. Of course I get that, but can't we hook up, too? :lol:

I mentioned the gay bar, because some of my girl friends are taking me to a gay bar in a week or so. I'm kind of nervous, because I feel like I have to impress them with my "gayness." :lol: Dance, gay boy, dance!
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I hope you have a blast! Gay bars and the good friemds I made there were my lifeline when I was coming out!

Does anyone watch 1 Girl/5 Gays on Logo? I find it pretty interesting. The 5 guys answer 20 questions on love and sex posed by the girl during the course of a half hour.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

carolinakid wrote:Does anyone watch 1 Girl/5 Gays on Logo? I find it pretty interesting. The 5 guys answer 20 questions on love and sex posed by the girl during the course of a half hour.
MTV Canada has a version of the show that I watch, it's pretty funny.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

The MTV Canada show is what's running on Logo here in the States. It's interesting to know what other young gay men are thinking especially if one lives in a small town or rural area where a visible gay presence is absent.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

That show is so hilarious. The guys, most of them, seem like genuinely nice and smart guys. And more people, gay or straight, should be that open when talking about sex and love. I'm sick of those awful teen shows like 90210 covering gay relationships because they feel they have to because all shows do it and then presenting this clichéd angsty crap. This show is just pure fun, without the BS and fake love presented in scripted shows these days.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Newsflash: US general makes ass out of himself:
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The chief of the US Marine Corps said Tuesday that ending a ban on openly gay troops in the military could jeopardize the lives of Marines in combat by undermining closely knit units. General James Amos, commandant of the Marine Corps and an opponent of lifting the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" prohibition, cited a Pentagon study saying Marines fighting in Afghanistan were worried that permitting gays to serve openly could disrupt "unit cohesion."

"When your life hangs on a line, on the intuitive behavior of the young man ... who sits to your right and your left, you don't want anything distracting you," Amos told reporters at the Pentagon. "I don't want to lose any Marines to distraction. I don't want to have any Marines that I'm visiting at Bethesda (hospital) with no legs," he said. He added that "mistakes and inattention or distractions cost Marines' lives. That's the currency of this fight."
More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101214/pl ... litarygays
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

so... awareness of a person's homosexuality = losing your legs?....

How is that a distraction? Are the gay soldiers constantly distracted by how incredibly heterosexual the other guys are? Imagine that! "I have trouble functioning, because the heterosexuality surrounding me is so distracting"

oh and don't swim in the same pool as the HIV guy, you'll get the Aids!!! ew!!!

God why are people so goddamn stupid.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Despite the stupidity of some the repeal was passed in the House today. With the President in support of repealing it too all that has to happen now is for the Senate to pass it.

Of course it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Senate fails to to anything about it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

No, what it is is that many straight men are afraid of being around gay men. They have an (irrational) fear of those men not only possibly trying to have sex with them, but even just checking them out and making them feel emasculated.

Is it stupid? Yes. But does it really happen and might it partly ruin their ability to fight and possibly get injured or even die? Yes, it's a possibility.

But of course what we all know needs to happen is that people need to become more and more aware and accepting of gay people, and know that they won't try to advance on them just because they're gay, and they will get over it, and be able to concentrate on their fighting.

It's just the truth: the road to letting gays be open, free, and safe is a long, long, hard one. No inuendo intended.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:No, what it is is that many straight men are afraid of being around gay men. They have an (irrational) fear of those men not only possibly trying to have sex with them, but even just checking them out and making them feel emasculated.

Is it stupid? Yes. But does it really happen and might it partly ruin their ability to fight and possibly get injured or even die? Yes, it's a possibility.

But of course what we all know needs to happen is that people need to become more and more aware and accepting of gay people, and know that they won't try to advance on them just because they're gay, and they will get over it, and be able to concentrate on their fighting.

It's just the truth: the road to letting gays be open, free, and safe is a long, long, hard one. No inuendo intended.
Actually according to a poll or a study, Most men in army and marines don't mind or care less that gays are in there. They don't mind fighting along side gays. The people that are trying to go against them is mostly older white men in higher political and military power. They are ones hating on them. Not so much the soldiers.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Men and women fight together in the military. Can't the men function because maybe the women are 'checking them out'? Could they be distracted by that? :roll:

(Women being distracted by sexual harrassment from their male colleagues seems much more likely.)
Cheshire_Cat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cheshire_Cat »

The Senate will be considering a repeal bill of DADT. We can only hope that they do the right thing by repealing it, because it's really their last chance, since the next Congress sure as hell won't be doing the LGBT community any favors.

If DADT is not repealed, then there's a good chance that it might be struck down by the federal courts.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Goliath wrote:Men and women fight together in the military. Can't the men function because maybe the women are 'checking them out'? Could they be distracted by that? :roll:

(Women being distracted by sexual harrassment from their male colleagues seems much more likely.)
Yes but:

1) Men would like that, and not feel threatened by the women, whom they would view as less muscular and less able to "get them".

2) They wouldn't feel emasculated like they would by men checking them out.

If you are defending this with the rest of us, you'd better be fine with the fact men may check you out, too.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Disney Duster wrote:
Goliath wrote:Men and women fight together in the military. Can't the men function because maybe the women are 'checking them out'? Could they be distracted by that? :roll:

Yes but:

1) Men would like that, and not feel threatened by the women, whom they would view as less muscular and less able to "get them."
Is there any way I might be reading that wrong? That's assuming a whole lot. I don't honestly believe this issue really comes down to that kind of homophobia. I think it's more likely to be: they feel what they do is so honorable that the ones who find homosexuality wrong think gay people have no right to be fighting alongside them. Sharing their glory.

By the way, I don't feel fighting in the military is honorable. Sometimes it's a necessary evil (I mean- if you believe in God, wouldn't you think risking your life to kill and mortally wound others is not respecting the gift "He" gave you) - when/if the war itself is justified or unavoidable - and sometimes (depending upon the objective of any given mission or war in question), it's just plain stupid. But it's a personal choice and gay people have just as much right as anyone else to choose it for themselves.

Disney Duster wrote:2) They wouldn't feel emasculated like they would by men checking them out.
Perhaps. But the more discussion of this issue leads down that ^ road, the more the military begins to sound like prison. No way out until you're let out / your sentence is over, people get desperate and lose control. Hell, from the things I've heard went on in the Bush-era wars, maybe there is some truth to all that...
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney Duster wrote:If you are defending this with the rest of us, you'd better be fine with the fact men may check you out, too.
I'm defending the fact that DADT should be repealed ASAP, if that's what you're asking (as if that wasn't obvious already).