The Official Leaving/Returning Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

To both SuperAurora and slave2moonlight, if I'm not too late:

1. Amid all the mayhem, I would guess that the easiest way to get Luke's attention would be to e-mail him with the details of your departure and a link to the threads you'd want deleting.

2. Bye bye now, and don't go away too long. :wave:
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Chris, you're leaving when you're actually going to be able to slow work because you don't have to work for school? Or you mean you're going to work on actually making your comics all professional now?!
slave2moonlight wrote:I'd like to ask Luke to delete my art thread too. I didn't know that we could request that, but I'm leaving too and would appreciate it greatly.
Your leaving? And I caused it. I'm sorry. I don't want you to leave.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:Chris, you're leaving when you're actually going to be able to slow work because you don't have to work for school? Or you mean you're going to work on actually making your comics all professional now?!
I'm leaving cause I got better and more busier things to do. Even out of school, I'm still working and putting all my time and effort into drawing. Being on the computer too much only wastes my time.

You don't need to worry since you visit my place.

Thanks for the tip Wondy. I'll do that.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Goodbye to you too, slave. :cry:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Super Aurora wrote:You don't need to worry since you visit my place.
Yea but it will still be sad you leaving here. And we won't have it in common anymore to discuss.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

:( I'll miss you, Super Aurora. You're one of the funniest and most charismatically candid members on UD, and will always remain to be one of the most entertaining parts of the forum. I hope you'll come back one day.

Bye for now. :wave:
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

I should have posted this months ago, but I'm taking a break from UD (and most of my internet usage in general). I'm in the Disney College Program at Animal Kingdom, and I just don't have the time or the necessity to spend my free time on Disney. I'm getting my fill of Disney in other ways at the present. :wink: And it's definitely good for me. I understand much more that Disney is a real company and not made up of faith, trust, and pixie dust. And I've also learned that people are delusional when they say the Disneyland Resort is so much worse than Disney World. :shock: Disneyland will ALWAYS be the first and the best Disney park, and WDW won't ever compete. Quality over quantity, people! :P then again, maybe if I hadn't grown up with it, I wouldn't feel that way...

Anyways, my program ends in August, and I'll be back sometime around late August or September. I might check in occasionally, but for the most part, I won't post. Oh, and I want you to know, you are all much more informed than nearly all Disney Cast Members. You rock. Don't ever change. Wow I'm tired. Going to bed...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha, we're better than the official Disney Cast Members!

Well I'll miss seeing your great posts I usually like around here, but have a great time doing the Disney College Program! It's good not to get "Disneyed out", hehe!
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

It's great to hear from you again, Linden. Image

I hope the rest of your college program goes well.Image
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Wow--a lot of people here in the Disney College Program!

Glad to know you aren't going away for good! :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Hello all,

My suspension has been lifted. However, I'm hesistant to come back. Let me explain briefly why.

I have heard from Luke that supposedly a lot of people on this board have, at one time or another, complained to him about me and the things that I posted. Luke didn't give me any names, he didn't tell me the number of complaints, nor did he give me information on the nature of the complaints. He just told me that long-time members were considering leaving because of what I wrote.

I'm fully aware that a number of posts that I made in the past were over the line and created unnecessary hostility. I'm sorry for this. There have been times were it would have been better for me to step out of a heated discussion or to formulate my words more carefully. At times, I have been needlessly confrontational and that has offended other members, for which I apologize.

Just know it was never my intention to offend or upset, let alone make other people leave. I have been blunt and straight-forward because that's the way that I am and that's the way I appreciate people communicating with me. I don't believe in beating around the bush or sugar-coating things. I thought it was only fair to not dress-up my opinions to 'look nice', but instead to be honest in a what-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of way. I also always tried to let people know that what I wrote was never meant to be taken personally. If I criticized your favorite movie or singer or if I questioned your beliefs in politics or religion, that was never a slam on you as a person. If I failed to make that sufficiently clear, again I'm sorry.

While I acknowledge that some of my posts have been inappropriate, there's also a part of me that feels that sometimes other members on this board have a tendency to overreact and go ballistic over the tiniest things and complain about them (to Luke?). I have seen members go beserk over different opinions on a cartoon character, on a film or on a singer, even if the differing opinions were put in the mildest, most neutral ways possible. I'm not only talking about my posts here, but also about other people who got attacked by outraged members over benign things. I also think there sometimes is a bit of a double standard, in that I have seen far worse things than I've ever written, from repeated 'offenders' allowed to stand. Some just offensive, some homophobic, some anti-semitic. None of those things should have a place on UD.

Having said that in my 'defense' (though it's not meant that way, actually), that matters little, because this is not about how I perceive the board and its members, but instead about how the board and its members perceive me. If I'm not welcome on this board, I will not return. If most people rather see me staying away, I will. I never wanted to ruin the forum experience for anyone. I always felt this was a great community with lots of fine people, some of whom have become special to me. I always enjoyed hanging around here, discussing Disney, movies, music and everything else. I also believe I have made lots of positive contributions to the forum, as evidenced by the many lively and respectful discussions I have engaged in. I always liked reading other people's opinions on Disney movies and everything else, some of which have changed my way of thinking. But most of all I like the board for all the fun personalities gathered here.

I'll have to think about this a bit more. I would hate to continue with the thought that people wouldn't want me here.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Hey there,

Whatever you leave the forum or not is your own decision, and I can understand that you will be upset to hear that people have been complaining about you. If I were in your position, I'd give things a little longer before you decide to make a firm decision.

I understand your disdain of bigoted opinions and your desire to be honest, and I too would never want you to sugarcoat or dilute your opinions. If anything, though, I would advise you not to become too emotionally involved for better or for worse on the forum. Sometimes, a little bit of personal restraint is all that's needed. In fact, that's a word of advice I'd give to anybody on this forum, in particular any of the people with whom you have been involved in heated arguments; the main culprits should know who they are, and I would say that they're just as guilty for starting awkward conversations.

There are many times where I cringe or get mad at what other members have written, but I try and restrain myself from getting into too many arguments for a reason. Ultimately, I realise that I will probably never meet any UD members in real life, so getting too involved isn't really worth it over reasonably small things such as whether Tangled has enough "Disney essence". Equally, a reason I don't post in many religious or political threads is because I know a lot of people have such firm views, and experience tells me that there's no point in trying to challenge them. Of course, any particularly crude or cruel opinions aren't worth condoning, but I feel that, for a very general example, trying to convince a staunch Christian to become atheist (or vice-versa) will only lead to endless disputes. And though practically every other word I use in real life is a swear word, I don't use much bad language on this forum as I know a lot of people are more sensitive, petty as it may seem.

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling. In short, it's your decision as to what you do, but I personally wouldn't want to see you go. If I were you, I'd give it a few days or a week before you decide whether you want to be here or not.

Take care. :)
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Goliath wrote:nor did he give me information on the nature of the complaints.
I can understand not naming names, but this is a little odd to me. You'd think you'd be told what people take offense too? I don't mean to sound mean to the mods or Luke, this is just something I didn't know.

Anyway, I agree with everything Wondy said. But the best advice, I think, is to think it over. Maybe over the course of a couple of posts? At least then you'll know better the reaction of your return.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

COME BACK!

And if you want a really serious response, why not try it out, and then if things get bad again, then you know you're answer?

Is that what Flangy basically said? By the way I agree with him that Luke should have been more specific about what problems there were...unless he feels he was and you didn't, then he did all he could.

Wondy, it's only small to you! :P Disney should just make quality films...like every studio can! Forget a Disney identity, let's re-name Disney the Good Family Entertainment Maker!
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

It's great to see you back, Goliath. Image

I commend you for admitting that you have made the occasional mistake and I'm sorry if any of my infrequent but extreme dummy spits ever gave you the impression that I don't like you.

Mortifying as it must have been to learn about the complaints (I'm surprised you weren't given details), I hope that you are inclined to stay. You are an intelligent and funny member and it would sadden me if you were to leave because you felt unwelcome.

That said, it's your choice, and I will be supportive either way. Image

All The Best,
Sophie
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Goliath wrote:My suspension has been lifted.
I didn't know you were suspended. How far back did that start? :? I would have thought you were busy with stuff in real life when it eventually occurred to me I hadn't seen a new post by you in a while. It's all right with me if you want to stay here. You make things interesting and it's sweet how you supportive you are of The Rescuers.
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

It's not that serious. If people don't like what you say, oh well, that's their problem. I've always liked you for that reason- you speak your mind. And it just so happens that we pretty much always agree on things :D People are too uptight here.
Last edited by xxhplinkxx on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Agreed - if you enjoy it here, come back. Even though we've gotten into our fair share of disagreements, you're an intelligent member with a good sense of humor, and I've never had the slightest problem with anything you post. I enjoy reading your thoughts on most things, even though I rarely venture into other areas of the board besides the Disney forum.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney Geek wrote:I commend you for admitting that you have made the occasional mistake and I'm sorry if any of my infrequent but extreme dummy spits ever gave you the impression that I don't like you.
Oh no, you never made a comment that I perceived as negative. I don't think I have ever seen you post anything bad about another member. In fact, I think you're one of the sweetest members here. You're really one of my favorites; I thought you knew that already. :)

Sophie... that's a beautiful name.

Thanks all who answered. I do enjoy the board, though I wouldn't if I knew a majority of people wouldn't want me around here. I don't know that that's the case, though. So I dunno... I'll have to think about it a bit more.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I've been meaning to give a proper reply but simply haven't had the focus. Regardless, I still want to say welcome back to you, Goliath. :)