Julie Andrews Discussion Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

After the wonderful news from this morning, there's now some worse news to report. Julie will not be hosting the Vienna Philharmonic Concert this year as previously planned (Paula Zahn will fill in for her), citing recent problems with Blake's health.

I hope Blake is alright!
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I hope it's nothing serious. There's nothing worse than an ill loved one right on top of the holidays.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Good-ish news on the Julie/Glee front?
One thing that is real: Chris' still-raging desire to get Julie Andrews on the show as his grandmother—and it sounds like it's happening. "I'm pretty sure I've been obnoxious enough now that she knows that I want her. I think they just have to write it for her…And Anne Hathaway wants to play my lesbian aunt. I'm all for that. Could you imagine a family with myself, Mike O'Malley, Julie Andrews and Anne Hathaway? That's one hell of a family."
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_w ... ishes.html

So who knows, maybe Julie will guest on the show before this season is over!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

That's awesome! I would love to have both Julie and Anne on Glee! Do I hear a Princess Diaries reunion? :lol:

If this is happening, I will be a very happy guy.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

Well Blake is getting up there in age, and some photos i've seen him in a few years ago he did look pretty frail. I hope that he is doing alright as well, but age isn't always kind.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

So, after the heartbreaking news from last week, here's something much happier to report-

Julie Andrews, Dolly Parton & More to Receive 2011 GRAMMY Lifetime Achievement Awards

The Recording Academy® announced its Special Merit Awards recipients today, and this year's group includes: Julie Andrews, Roy Haynes, Juilliard String Quartet, The Kingston Trio, Dolly Parton, Ramones, and George Beverly Shea as Lifetime Achievement Award honorees; Al Bell, Wilma Cozart Fine and Bruce Lundvall as Trustees Award honorees; and Roger Linn and Waves Audio as Technical GRAMMY Award® honorees. The special invitation-only ceremony will be held during GRAMMY® Week on Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011, and a formal acknowledgment will be made during the 53rd Annual GRAMMY Awards telecast, which will be held at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011, and broadcast live at 8 p.m. ET/PT on the CBS Television Network.

"It is a great honor to recognize and celebrate such a distinguished and dynamic group of honorees who have been the creators of such timeless art," said The Recording Academy President/CEO Neil Portnow. "These influential performers and brilliant innovators have been of great inspiration to our culture and industry. Their legendary work has left a lasting impression and will continue to influence generations to come."

The Lifetime Achievement Award honors lifelong artistic contributions to the recording medium while the Trustees Award recognizes outstanding contributions to the industry in a non-performing capacity. Both awards are determined by vote of The Recording Academy's National Board of Trustees. Technical GRAMMY Award recipients are determined by vote of The Academy's Producers & Engineers Wing Advisory Council and Chapter Committees as well as The Academy's Trustees. The award is presented to individuals and companies who have made contributions of outstanding technical significance to the recording field.

Film and stage actress, singer, and author Julie Andrews made her Broadway debut in 1954 and has had an illustrious career that has spanned more than 60 years. She has entertained generations with her iconic roles and performances in films such as My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, the latter for which she won a GRAMMY for Best Recording For Children in 1964. She has also earned an Academy Award®, two Emmy®s, three Golden Globes and was given the title of Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 2000.
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Julie_ ... z18r5M6Tkc
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

HEARTBROKEN Julie Andrews is to join the cast of hit TV show Glee just weeks after the death of her husband of 41 years, film director Blake Edwards.

The Oscar-winning star of Sixties classics Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music will appear early in the New Year as the grandmother of gay student Kurt Hummel, played by Chris Colfer. Producers of Glee hope she will become a regular on the series.

Julie, 75, could be joined by her Princess Diaries co-star Anne Hathaway, 28, who has been offered the role of Kurt’s aunt.

Chris Colfer, 20, said: “This is all supposed to be strictly under wraps but it’s the talk of the entire set. I’m blown away.”

Julie agreed to her role before her husband – who directed the Pink Panther films and Breakfast At Tiffany’s – died of pneumonia on December 15, aged 88. A senior source at Fox Television in Los Angeles said: “We want to write her in as soon as she feels ready. We see her as a grandma who, perhaps, will deliver life lessons to wayward Kurt through wisdom and song.”
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/219 ... z19Eyv12rh

Nothing's official yet, of course, but it looks like Julie may be joining Glee sooner than expected.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I'm sure Chris Colfer is beyond thrilled that he's finally getting his wish (he's been after Julie Andrews to play his grandmother for a long time), and the extra twist of Anne Hathaway sounds too good to be true. A "Princess Diaries" reunion!.

Julie's going to be hurting for quite a while; but it's lovely to see it's back to business. There's nothing like an exciting new work opportunity to get your mind off sad things.

My DVD Collection :
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Didn't know that Julie Andrews was Gru's mother in "Despicable Me" until I watched the movie. The insights on how she did that voice were hilarious.

How many of you have watched the uncut version of "S.O.B." with Julie's "boob baring" scene. At the time the movie was in the theaters it caused quite the stir among those who only thought of her as "The Sound of Music' girl.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I confess I have yet to see "S.O.B".... It's never really appealed, but I think I will eventually see it one day.

My DVD Collection :
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

I have good news for everyone, particularly UmbrellaFish:
They are considering reuniting Julie Andrews and Anne Hathaway for Glee sometime next year in 2011. So, The Glee people have seen our posts, and once again, UD/DD works its magic.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

avonleastories95 wrote:I have good news for everyone, particularly UmbrellaFish:
They are considering reuniting Julie Andrews and Anne Hathaway for Glee sometime next year in 2011. So, The Glee people have seen our posts, and once again, UD/DD works its magic.
We've just been talking about that and I'm very excited! But I sort of doubt our posts have had that much influence, especially compared to Chris Colfer's pleas. lol

Welcome back, by the way!

And yes, dvdjunkie, I've seen SOB (although it's been awhile). I very much enjoyed it, too.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Yes...in virtually every chat interview he's given, Chris has been very vocal in his casting idea for Julie Andrews.

My DVD Collection :
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

This is *slightly* old news but I'm still posting it for the Julie fans here. The 1995 Broadway production of "Victor/Victoria" was recently released on Blu-ray, but it's in fact different to the one previously seen on DVD and video.

From what I've been able to find out, the Blu-ray has a different performance. Seems that it might have been filmed twice for backup reasons (it was originally filmed solely for Japanese TV station NHK). Anywoo I ordered the Blu-ray and will check it out when it arrives. I know the original DVD backwards and sideways, so if it's indeed a separate performance I'll be able to tell right from the get-go.

And Amazon currently has the Blu-ray marked down to $9.49, so any Julie Andrews fans will agree that's a bargain.

My DVD Collection :
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Cordy_Biddle wrote:From what I've been able to find out, the Blu-ray has a different performance. Seems that it might have been filmed twice for backup reasons (it was originally filmed solely for Japanese TV station NHK). Anywoo I ordered the Blu-ray and will check it out when it arrives. I know the original DVD backwards and sideways, so if it's indeed a separate performance I'll be able to tell right from the get-go.
It is a different performance!

Mostly, it's not very different but from what I can remember some lyrical phrasing is different as are the deliverly of a couple lines. And Julie's doesn't bow the same way as she does on the DVD at the end of this performance.

Also, the Blu-Ray doesn't have the intro- or midtroduction.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Fantastic! So now I'll have two performances from which to choose! :)

My DVD Collection :
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Unofficial reports are coming in that say Julie has signed onto Garry Marshall's "New Year's Eve," a spiritual sequel to his earlier star-studded "Valentine's Day" film.

If Julie does appear, she will be joined in the movie by Ashton Kutcher, Robert De Niro, Hilary Swank, Lea Michele, Zac Efron, and Sarah Jessica Parker among others!

Hoping for the best! :D
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Awh, yay! I loved "Valentine's Day" (wayyy better than He's Just Not That Into You)!!! I actually saw it on Valentine's Day last year. I would love a sequel that took place on New Year's! It sounds romantic. Haha. And if Julie is in it, even better! :)
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Julie loves working with Garry Marshall and the effect always shows on screen, so I think she'll be wonderful in the new film.

My DVD Collection :
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Last night, Julie Andrews made her first public appearance since the death of her husband, Blake Edwards, in order to accept her Grammy award for Lifetime Achievement.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jxypnA5Y7gQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>