Explain Your Avatar: The Next Generation

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

My new avatar:

It features Eeyore from the new Winnie the Pooh film.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Decided to change up my avatar and now have Adam wearing glasses :p
-Tim
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

My new avatar:

It's Sailor Moon again. :P
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

My new avatar:

It features Sailor Moon's profile silhouette against the city backdrop.
Last edited by Sotiris on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Dutch singer/actress Birgit Schuurman kissing herself in the mirror:

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

My new avatar:

It's Hercules from Disney's Hercules
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

To celebrate my recently acquired "Limited Edition" status, I have changed my avatar to an image of the greatest director of all time.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

To commemorate one of my biggest heroes on the day he died unexpectedly exactly one year ago, I changed my avatar to his image:

Nestor Kirchner (1950-2010)

President of Argentina between 2003 and 2010. When he became president, the country was in financial chaos. In fact, it was bankrupt; their currency was worthless; unemployment was skyrocketing, and there seemed no solution to it. Just about what's happening to Greece right now. Kirchner pulled the country from the brink of collapse and turned the situation around 180 degrees. Not the way the EU is now handling things, but by standing firm for the ordinary working people of Argentina and protecting them from further privatizations of public services and freezing of pensions and loans, like the IMF had demanded. Instead, he gave the IMF the middle finger, threw them out and moved the country away from Washington-styled capitalism. His policies literally saved millions of lives, because his social programs helped those who would else be destined to live a life in extreme poverty. Kirchner governed like a modern-day FDR. Lifted millions out of poverty and was the key behind Argentina's miraculous economic recovery, and it's now one of the best-thriving economies in the world.

He went on to lift the amnesty that general Videla and his henchmen had received after the country returned to democracy after having been a horrible fascist dictatorship in the 1970's and 1980's. Kirchner and his wife Christina were students fighting this dictatorship and now he was determined to get those responsible for the murder, torture and dissappearance of over 30,000 people behind bars. He risked his political career doing this, and his life. He knew a lot of very powerful forces would oppose this, and he would make some very influential enemies and lose political capital. But instead of "looking forward", he knew the only thing to heal the country's wounds, was to prosecute the war criminals who had inflicted so much pain on their victims. I've seen, heard and read accounts of survivers of the junta's torture practices. I became literally sick of it. I never read something that horrible before. Videla and his cronies are now in prison awaiting trial, thanks to Nestor Kirchner.

Kirchner also was a big supporter of gay rights. He believed everybody should have the same rights. Together with his wife Christina, he fought endlessly to pass legislation in parliament to legalize same-sex marriage. It finally happened in 2010, when he had stepped down and his wife had won the presidency and he was acting as her chief advisor. Thanks to both of them, Argentina is now the first and only country in Latin-America where gays and lesbians can marry.

I remember hearing the news of his passing away like it was yesterday. I was eating and watching television at the same time, as I heard the announcement. I immediately lost all my appetite. It was a very big shock to me. I was so sad to learn of his death. I don't remember ever being upset by the death of a famous person, but this really got to me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/rWFf8VPMTOI" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Everybody expected him to run for president again this year, and I'm sure he would have won. He was so widely popular among the regular people. They never forgot what he had done for them. After his death, there was a massive outpour of public support and sympathy for his wife Christina. This last sunday, Christina Fernandez de Kirchner was re-elected by a wide margin as president of Argentina. So sad her husband couldn't have be the one.

President Kirchner with his wife Christina and his good friend and ally Hugo Chavez.
Last edited by Goliath on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Thank you for posting all that Goliath. To be honest, I hadn't heard of Kirchner before your post explaining your new avatar; he sounds like he was a great man.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:Thank you for posting all that Goliath. To be honest, I hadn't heard of Kirchner before your post explaining your new avatar; he sounds like he was a great man.
It's always the good ones who go first. If only our (European) political leaders had one inch of the guts and integrity that Kirchner had, this current economic crisis would have been resolved already, I'm sure.
Last edited by Goliath on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I just changed my avatar to this!

It's the cover art for my first single off an album I'm recording! The song is called "Behind Closed Doors", and it's a pop/dance song. It's about coming out of the closet. The single should make it to itunes some time next week! I actually have 2 other cd's online already that were done with 2 other people, but this is my first serious solo effort.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

That's pretty exciting, SG04. I was able to find you on CDbaby.
( Linky: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jeffhall43 )

In tribute to Rihanna's upcoming album, Talk That Talk, I'm going to be having a new avatar of her every day for the next 10 days.

Today's is from "Disturbia":

4 Disney Atmosphere Images
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

^ Disturbia is what got me hooked on Rihanna; I've been a huge fan ever since.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Today's is from "SOS":

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:^ Disturbia is what got me hooked on Rihanna; I've been a huge fan ever since.
For me, it was "S&M."

:)

PixarFan2006 wrote:Tried the image, perked it up a bit like this

and it still doesn't show up.
Does any avatar from Photobucket show up? Have you tried another one? This might sound stupid but, did you mark the box not to use any avatar (I think they're might be one)? And when you tried to change your avatar, did you put in your password 3 times up top? And did you check before pressing Submit that you had your 3 passwords and the link to your off-site avatar in the right column?
Last edited by Lazario on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

My avatar is not showing for some reason. This is what it's supposed to be:

Hmm, maybe if I find a way to shrink it a bit.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Here is a revised version

I still cannot make it an avatar.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

PixarFan2006 wrote:I still cannot make it an avatar.
I've resized it into the standard forum dimensions, maybe that will help?

http://i41.tinypic.com/30ngrra.jpg
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I do not know what I am doing wrong. I sized it under 100 x 100, and it still won't show
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

enigmawing wrote:
PixarFan2006 wrote:I still cannot make it an avatar.
I've resized it into the standard forum dimensions, maybe that will help?

http://i41.tinypic.com/30ngrra.jpg
Tried the image, perked it up a bit like this

Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Today's is from "We Ride":

PixarFan2006 wrote:Tried the image, perked it up a bit like this

Does any avatar from Photobucket show up? Have you tried another one? This might sound stupid but, did you mark the box not to use any avatar (I think they're might be one)? And when you tried to change your avatar, did you put in your password 3 times up top? And did you check before pressing Submit that you had your 3 passwords and the link to your off-site avatar in the right column?
Last edited by Lazario on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.