Mary Costa

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Mary Costa

Post by Disney Guru »

Must admit, Aurora was always my top favorite Disney Princess. But I have also always been a fan of the legendary Mary Costa truly an underrated talent. I am a fan of the official Bing Crosby page on facebook and yesterday saw this mentioned:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YLqhUuGPo[/youtube]

Thought it was absolutely adorable and had to post it. Also I had pulled her up on google to see what she has been up to recently. Found some photos of her from a few months ago at a D23 event was amazed at how stunning she still looks considering she celebrated her 83rd birthday this year.

Going to try and seek out more of her work truly an amazing and talented individual.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Re: Mary Costa

Post by pinkrenata »

Super awesome find, Guru!

I was just thinking the other day about how cool it was to interview her for this site back in the day. I don't know if it could be considered quality journalism, but I remember the phone conversation going on longer than scheduled and how much fun it was to talk with her!

http://www.dvdizzy.com/sleepingbeauty-interview.html
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh my goodness, my heart stopped when I saw this header; I thought she had passed away ! So glad to hear she is still active within the Disney community, going to D23 and the like. She gave a beautiful voice to a beautiful Disney character. And that's lovely photo you selected as well; you can definitely see something of the Princess Aurora within her.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Miss Mary Costa is quite underrated in the opera world and not only do I know her from Sleeping Beauty but she was the original London lead in Candide either in 1959 or early 60's She still looks great at age 83 and I wish her the best out of life. :)
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Only know her from SB im afraid. Still great find!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Last year, I sent her a letter and a drawing I made of her character in Sleeping Beauty. She was kind enough to send me this autographed picture from the movie. She also sent other autographed pictures of her, a very nice letter and an article about her career.

Last edited by Vlad on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

No that is really wonderful, what a lovely thing for her to do, to reply like that.

And major congratulations as well, that is really something that you now have forever!
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I'm with Atlantica. I thought she had died.

I'm super jealous of that Autograph Sicoe! What a lovely thing to own.

Really interesting find. I love finding obscure videos on the net. She has an incredible voice.
I hope I look as good as her at the grand old age of 83!
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

Slight bump to the thread, last month I sent her a lobby card from Sleeping Beauty and asked if she would sign it for me. I was blown away she sent it back signed along with a headshot, another still from Sleeping Beauty and an info sheet about her career all signed. A true darling to her fans:

"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I have Ilene Woods' autograph and I would love to have Mary Costa's. I only wish I could have Adriana Caselotti's and then I'd have all three of the classic Disney Princesses.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

If you go to fanmail.biz you can pull up her address, she is always extremely generous with her fans.
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Just to check … is this the one to send it to ?

Mary Costa
3340 Kingston Pike
Unit 1
Knoxville, TN 37919-4674
USA
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

Yep, that's the one.
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Thank you for confirming, I will be sure to send her something !
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Sleeping Beauty airs on the Disney Channel on 12/14/14 at 8pm. (preceded by Tangled at 6:15pm)