What are you reading/have you just read? Vol. 2

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I finally just finished Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. It took me forever, but not because I didn't like it- I loved it- it's one of the most inspirational books I've ever read. I just have had a lot going on and haven't been reading as much lately.

I had seen the film first, but there's more in the book, and even the parts I knew from the movie were still great and fresh in the book. I definitely recommend the book. It really, truly, is inspirational, and I think that everyone could get something out of it.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I have been reading the Scott Pilgrim books. I am currently on book 5. I own books 1 and 2 and I plan on buying the rest of the books eventually (the others I have checked out from the library).

After I finish the Scott Pilgrim books, I will get back to reading True Grit which I bought Thursday.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I just got, at a Springfield, MA Borders that's closing, at 20% off, The Supremes:A Saga of Motown Dreams, Success and Betrayal by Mark Ribowsky. It's FABULOUS!!!!!
Cheshire_Cat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cheshire_Cat »

I finished reading The Meaning of Matthew - by Judy Shepard - a few nights ago. I read it all in one day. It was fascinating to know the details of Matthew Shepard's life and of his murder, as well as the aftermath.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. I currently have a teaching internship in a 9th grade English class. My on-site teacher has low language proficient students, and she often reads a chapter every day to them (with critical thinking questions interspersed throughout). I've been trying to keep up with the class, so the days I'm there I can read instead. :)

I'm about 60 pages in. It's a really good book so far.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

I recently finished The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla, by Stephen King. LOVED it. the character development from the first book is exceptional. I really didn't like Wizard and Glass all that much, so I was really happy to see that the rest of the series wouldn't be like that. I'm depressed that there are only two more books. I need Roland!

Right now, I'm just finishing up 'Salem's Lot. I decided to read it after Callahan turned up in Wolves. I really, really enjoyed this one. My only complaint is that it went by too fast. It seemed to me really short, like not alot happened. I liked this one much better than Christine.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I'm currently reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I really like it so far and I hope I can finish it before spring break ends. I'm only about 90 pages in, but I really think I'll like this novel. No wonder I've been given so many recommendations for it.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
4th Life of Thomasina
Limited Issue

Post by 4th Life of Thomasina »

About to start reading Divine Misdemeanors by Laurell K Hamilton. Not looking forward to since her Anita Blake series has gone to crap. Since this from her other series, hopefully it'll be better
Currently Watching/Playing/Reading:
Video Game: Epic Mickey
TV Series: Star Trek: The Animated Series
Novel: Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Finished True Grit, which was pretty good.

I am now on Plague Dogs, which I started today. It's dark, but pretty good so far.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I finished up The Help this evening. It was pretty good and definitely deserves all of the recommendations for it. I wouldn't mind having a copy of the novel itself. I do worry about the film that's coming out this summer, though. I would never ever cast Emma Stone as Skeeter. That just seems totally not right, but I'm hoping she'll surprise me.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Just finished The Stand, (the complete and uncut version) by Stephen King. It was wonderful. As his books usually are. It was so chilling, although I didn't really like the way things were left with Frannie and Stu. But the very end, the part with Randall Flagg, was perfect. I actually just finished watching the miniseries, and I was a bit disappointed in how Flagg looked- not like I imagined him at all, but the actor made me come around to him in the end.

I'm currently about halfway through Rose Madder, and I made the mistake of doing a quick Wikipedia search, but thankfully I got out of there before I could ruin too much of it for myself. Rose Madder is great so far, and Stephen King just does such a great job of writing as Norman.
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

To Have and to Have Not.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I finally finished reading Plague Dogs, which was a pretty decent book (though boring in some areas).

I am now going to read The Sight by David Clements-Davies.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Scarred4life wrote:Just finished The Stand, (the complete and uncut version) by Stephen King. It was wonderful. As his books usually are. It was so chilling, although I didn't really like the way things were left with Frannie and Stu. But the very end, the part with Randall Flagg, was perfect. I actually just finished watching the miniseries, and I was a bit disappointed in how Flagg looked- not like I imagined him at all, but the actor made me come around to him in the end.

I'm currently about halfway through Rose Madder, and I made the mistake of doing a quick Wikipedia search, but thankfully I got out of there before I could ruin too much of it for myself. Rose Madder is great so far, and Stephen King just does such a great job of writing as Norman.
I've been on a King kick lately too. So far I've read Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, Rage, and The Shining. I'm currently reading Night Shift, and The Stand is next so I'm glad you liked it. Definitely my favorite author!
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

^ Yes, he is quite spectacular. How did you like The Shining? It's one of my favourites of his. (Out of the 15 or so I've read, that is)

EDIT: Just finished Rose Madder. *warning- spoiler alert* I was... pleased and displeased with the ending. I really wish that Rosie had ended up killing Norman, not Rose Madder. I thought that it would have been a really good thing for her, but I understand why she didn't. But I really liked how the world Rosie went into with the painting seemed to be part of Roland's world in the Dark Tower series. I love when he crosses his books like that. :)
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I recently finished The Sight by David Clement-Davies. I thought it was really enjoyable save for a few slow spots.

I am now reading its' sequel; Fell. I am enjoying it so far.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I finished reading Sara Gruen's Ape House on Sunday and found it enjoyable. I don't know if it was better than Water for Elephants, but it was good nonetheless. And I just finished reading The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It was absolutely brilliant and I loved every word of it. Seriously, who knew that you could learn so much from the perspective of a dog? It's definitely one of my favorite novels I've read in awhile.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Started The Pixar Touch Monday. Pretty interesting so far.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Finished Stolen by Lucy Christopher, and Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Stolen was so-so, but Life of Pi was fantastic. It's like nothing I've ever read before. Highly recommended.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Not sure if it counts, since it's a manga, but I'm posting it here anyway. I just read all available chapters of Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji (there are 57) by Yana Toboso. This was actually my first manga, and I loved it. Little Ciel is so adorable, by far my favourite character, and has some really great moments with Sebastian, who is also amazing. I hope we'll get to hear more about both Sebastian and Ciel's histories in the future chapters, I'm especially interested in Sebastian's. So far, I've loved every minute of this series, and I can't wait for chapter 58 to be released. :D

Does anyone here have any manga recommendations?
Last edited by Scarred4life on Mon May 30, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.