The story behind The Black Cauldron

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

The story behind The Black Cauldron

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Even if it doesn't tell the whole story, then at least there is a lot of info about the movie here:

http://michaelperaza.blogspot.com/2010/ ... art-1.html

The fact that they used so much time and effort on the movie, meant that they had to improve their skills and got a lot of experience, which was important for the next big movie; The Little Mermaid. The two movies between them were important as well, but not really big when comparing with budget and stuff.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Read that before.

As bad as the movie is, I'm actually interested in seeking a comprehensive history behind its history. Sounded like there was a ton of potential that simply went to waste.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Well, the link was obviously not meant for those who had read the article before, but for those who hadn't and might be interested in doing so.

Sotiris:

I know there are already threads about the movie, but not threads dedicated to the story behind it only. And I can't see a link to the article in any of the posts there. By the way, I'm the creator of one of those threads. As for the last one, it's a short discussion dating back to 2008 about some other article shorter than this one. I see no good reason for your hostility.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I'm not seeing any hostility.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:I see no good reason for your hostility.
I didn't mean to seem hostile. That was not my intention and I apologize if it came out that way. I was merely trying to say that an article about a movie does not warrant a whole new thread in my opinion and it could easily be posted in one of the other threads. That saves both bandwidth, and reduces the creation of multiple similar threads. But I was not trying to make a big deal out of it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

An absolutely fascinating read. Yes, it doesn't tell the whole story but it was still very good. It also shows how wonderful the movie could have been, what's hidden in this fascinating mess of a movie. It's really a shame that the movie doesn't get the special edition it deserves. The production alone would be great material for a long documentary, and the deleted scenes deserve to be seen, perhaps even re-integrated in the movie, if that's at all possible.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Sotiris wrote:The Black Cauldron Appreciation Thread
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=180

The Black Cauldron Special Edition?
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=640

The Black Cauldron Article
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... k+cauldron
I've notcied you did this in my thread too ...what are you forum police? Why should I dig up a thread thats months/years old to have a fresh discussion
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

enigmawing wrote:I'm not seeing any hostility.
That's because there was none.
CampbellzSoup wrote:I've notcied you did this in my thread too ...what are you forum police? Why should I dig up a thread thats months/years old to have a fresh discussion
Now THIS, on the other hand, IS hostility...

And then people wonder where all the drama on UD comes from! :D
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

CampbellzSoup wrote:Why should I dig up a thread thats months/years old to have a fresh discussion
Because if we did this everytime we wanted to bring up a subject again, do you know how many threads we would have?
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

CampbellzSoup wrote:Why should I dig up a thread thats months/years old to have a fresh discussion
I agree. At this point every Disney film released has had a thread made about it. Are supposed to stop making threads altogether? Besides, at some point we got to consider a thread dead. It's just not practical bumping up every thread.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Scarred4life wrote:
Because if we did this everytime we wanted to bring up a subject again, do you know how many threads we would have?
That's the point of a forum. This is first forum I've ever heard where necroing threads is a pretty rad thing to do.

At least
CampbellzSoup, Goliath, The_Iceflash, and myself see this necroing stuff pretty lame.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Personally, I like that we just have one thread for things, like "Insert-Film-Here Discussion." I like reading other people's thoughts who may not be around to post anymore. Plus, it reminds me how old the forum is, what I thought about something 5 years ago, and all the members there have been (some gone, some still here).

I hate when there's 20+ threads for the same topic. It makes it harder whenever you're searching for something.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Sotiris wrote:I didn't mean to seem hostile. That was not my intention and I apologize if it came out that way. I was merely trying to say that an article about a movie does not warrant a whole new thread in my opinion and it could easily be posted in one of the other threads. That saves both bandwidth, and reduces the creation of multiple similar threads. But I was not trying to make a big deal out of it.

At first, I thought there was no need to post another reply in this thread, because of the tone in much of its content. But since it's being bumped again, why not use the opportunity to clear the air a bit?

Maybe it wasn't the intention to be hostile, but what it was intented to be and what it turned out to be, is not always not necessarily the same. First a new thread is posted, and the first replies I get is just about someone who has read it before, and links to other non-active threads with a different subject. No matter how hard I try, I really can't see what it's supposed to be good for. Personally, I never read old threads that contains dozens upon dozens of old posts, usually not even when they are bumped. All relevant information ends up lost in a jungle of non-relevant info.

Then when another and similar thread is made about a different movie, the same thing happens, and the post ends with "This thread should get merged with the one abov " (referring to another link). That's just another way of saying "Psst, hey moderator, deleting this thread by turning it into yet another post in some old thread would be a great idea, don't you think?", like the original poster didn't even exist. If you meet a very obese person, it's nothing wrong to think "Wow, this guy is really fat". Saying it out loud, is. The whole "it's just my opinion" thing, can't always be used as an excuse.
Like you said, maybe it wasn't the intention, but a lot of those who are exposed to it finds it provoking. And now you are aware of it. If it makes you feel any better, it wasn't you as a person that annoyed me when I replied to you, but your posts.

Yes, I can see why there is no need to drown the forum with numerous threads about the same topic, but that is not really a big problem here. So why bother with a non-existing problem? And if it despite of it all, one day actually should turn out to be a problem, I'm sure the moderator is able to handle it alone, without the assistance of multiple wannabe moderators who instead of helping is making it worse. Imagine a classroom full of pupils who constantly are trying to correct other pupils who they feel sure have done something incorrect.
I thought the whole intention with a forum was to keep it alive, and if deleting new threads by fusing them with older ones that is already hundreds of posts long, with titles that says very litle about the new content and which a lot of people no longer gives a damn about, is just one way to make it less active and attractive. You could just as well do it the other way around, saying "this post does not belongs in this thread, the original post is about a completely different topic. It should either be moved to a thread where it belongs, of turned into a thread on its own."

If it is THAT important to make a single home to all posts that is related to a spesific movie, why not just give each feature its own forum here in Ultimate Disney? Probably because it would not have the desired effect.
So we have to make the best out of what is already here. One way of doing so, is to respect other posters, which is just as important as the search of geriatric threads when making new posts.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Personally, I like that we just have one thread for things, like "Insert-Film-Here Discussion." I like reading other people's thoughts who may not be around to post anymore. Plus, it reminds me how old the forum is, what I thought about something 5 years ago, and all the members there have been (some gone, some still here).

I hate when there's 20+ threads for the same topic. It makes it harder whenever you're searching for something.
That's what search engines are there for. When using it myself, I notice that there is only 17 topics with The Black Cauldron in its title, and only one of them, this one, is directly referring to the story behind the movie. A fitting place to post information about the production of and the story of the movie, don't you think?