Disney's Very Merry Christmas Songs

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Teen Artist
Gold Classic Collection

Disney's Very Merry Christmas Songs

Post by Teen Artist »

Since the Christmas season is upon us, I've found myself reminiscing about my favorite Christmas songs. I remembered watching my Sing-Along VHS of Very Merry Christmas songs as a child, and was wondering if I should update to DVD. Is anyone else familiar with this? Apparently, there is a newer version available on DVD, but it's got some changes and I'm hesitant to buy it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... eimprovemz It's one DVD Ultimate Disney doesn't have a review for, actually.

I found a CD on iTunes called "Disney's Family Christmas Collection" which seems to have a couple of the songs from the video but not all of them. Does anyone have that?

My biggest question is if anyone knows what specific Disney animation is sampled in the songs, because there is some beautiful animation in some of them. I know "Sleigh Ride" is from Mickey's Christmas Carol (Another fun Disney Christmas classic). I'm particularly interested in "Joy to the World" and "Silent Night." If they are from movies or shorts that are available in their original presentation on another DVD I'll probably buy that instead.

This is my 100th post! :)
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney's Very Merry Christmas Songs

Post by Escapay »

Teen Artist wrote:Since the Christmas season is upon us, I've found myself reminiscing about my favorite Christmas songs. I remembered watching my Sing-Along VHS of Very Merry Christmas songs as a child, and was wondering if I should update to DVD. Is anyone else familiar with this? Apparently, there is a newer version available on DVD, but it's got some changes and I'm hesitant to buy it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... eimprovemz It's one DVD Ultimate Disney doesn't have a review for, actually.

I found a CD on iTunes called "Disney's Family Christmas Collection" which seems to have a couple of the songs from the video but not all of them. Does anyone have that?

My biggest question is if anyone knows what specific Disney animation is sampled in the songs, because there is some beautiful animation in some of them. I know "Sleigh Ride" is from Mickey's Christmas Carol (Another fun Disney Christmas classic). I'm particularly interested in "Joy to the World" and "Silent Night." If they are from movies or shorts that are available in their original presentation on another DVD I'll probably buy that instead.

This is my 100th post! :)
Not sure about the changes to the DVD, if any, but I know on the VHS that "Joy to the World" is set to scenes from the winter parts of "The Nutcracker Suite" (in Fantasia), and "Silent Night" is set to the "Ave Maria" scenes (also in Fantasia).

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Teen Artist
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Teen Artist »

Escapay wrote:Not sure about the changes to the DVD, if any, but I know on the VHS that "Joy to the World" is set to scenes from the winter parts of "The Nutcracker Suite" (in Fantasia), and "Silent Night" is set to the "Ave Maria" scenes (also in Fantasia).

albert
That's cool that your name is Albert. Mine is Alfred. Thank you! If I had to guess, I would have guessed Fantasia, because the animation is amazing, but I haven't seen it in so long since I don't own it. I wasn't able to get the Anthology before it went out of print :(... I may see if I can get my hands on a used copy for Christmas, though. And I'll probably pass on the DVD of Very Merry Christmas and see if I can just copy my VHS to DVD.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Teen Artist wrote:
Escapay wrote:Not sure about the changes to the DVD, if any, but I know on the VHS that "Joy to the World" is set to scenes from the winter parts of "The Nutcracker Suite" (in Fantasia), and "Silent Night" is set to the "Ave Maria" scenes (also in Fantasia).

albert
That's cool that your name is Albert. Mine is Alfred.
Hehe. "Alfred" was one of my many* nicknames over the years (well, Alf, but on occasion someone would lengthen it to Alfred!).
Teen Artist wrote:And I'll probably pass on the DVD of Very Merry Christmas and see if I can just copy my VHS to DVD.
Yeah, it'll probably even be the same quality too (VHS quality on the official DVD, only slightly sharper). Disney doesn't really put much remastering work in those cheap releases, so it'd be easier to just make your own VHS-to-DVD copy (and legally call it a "back-up" since you own the VHS so that you're not infringing on copyrights.). According to a review on the Amazon page, the DVD contains all the songs on the original VHS (30 minutes), and several additional songs (24 minutes). So it's up to you if you want the new songs.

Anyway, for anyone else who hasn't seen this video in years, it's on YouTube:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

albert

*My other nicknames were: Al, Alby, Albf, Albfy, Alf, Alfred, Algernon, Algy, Calculator Alculator, Cal-Al, Cal, The Goot, Phillbert, Skippy, Jacob, Ivan, Dave, Alex, A, Scaps, Scapsta, Scapsy, and the list goes on and on...
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?