A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)

Post by Just Myself »

If you have clicked this topic thinking that you were to read about a banned member, a DVD buying poll, or other users real names, you are about to discover shock, woe and misery, for this topic can only hold the dreadful details about an upcoming film called Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events. By clicking on this topic, you have only found details about a film based on best selling children's books, an official website, a countdown, and an obsessed fan with far too much time on his hands.

The Woeful Website
The Troublesome Trailer
The Terrible Teaser

The Startling Synopsis

There are 71 days until this dreaful film comes out.

I'm terribly sorry that your computer decieved you and led you here, instead of a topic about The Incredibles.

With all due respect,
Lemony Sn- I mean, Just Myself
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I thought about posting about this movie, but I wasn't sure how everyone would react. I'm so excited about this movie. Jim Carrey is the perfect choice for Count Olaf, and Meryl Streep as Aunt Josphine is pure Genius! December 17th is not coming soon enough!
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Yeah, I know! I'm gonna go watch that new trailer again... :P

BTW, what did you think about my Lemony Snicket impression?
Cheers,
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

That was a great Lemony Snicket impression! I love his style of writing. It just makes me laugh how he just really doesn't wan't you to read these stories and how he always drips in a bit of what he's doing as he's writing it. Not that Lemony Snicket is a real person, obviously he's not, but is seems like he could be!
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Yeah, thanks
Cheers,
jambo*rafiki
Gold Classic Collection

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Post by jambo*rafiki »

I saw this last night (opening night, I guess) and I highly recommend it! It's a very, very good movie - the children are excellent (especially Sunny), Jim Carrey is over the top in a way that works well for the movie, and whoever cast Meryl Streep as Aunt Josephine deserves an award. It managed to intergrate three books into one movie without making it feel too episodic, and most of the dark humor was intact (it was a movie, so the 'moral' was spelled out a little too clearly . . . but they get it over with quickly). However, my favorite part of the movie by far was the settings - from the very beginning, when the Baudelaires see the charred remains of their house, to the very end, when Mr. Poe's car drives off down a tree-lined road, the overall look kept my eyes glued to the screen. Eavesdropping after the movie ended, I caught the name "Tim Burton" mentioned several times, and it's a good comparison. Even the one or two second shots, such as an overhead shot of a car driving through a colorful, patterned swamp, were visually arresting. It's good for all ages (though the littlest kids might be scared of Count Olaf and some snakes and leeches) and is definitely worth the price of a ticket.

Go see this movie! Please! This has been a Jambo review . . . hahahaha.

Edit: Oh, and if Jambo's word isn't enough to convince you . . . the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and War of the Worlds teasers played before the showing I saw. "Oooh, spooky . . . "
"The names Cruuuuuuush. Emphasis on the U. But you can call me Crush."

"Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi apana!"

SAVE 2D!!!!!!!!
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

I saw the 10:20 show, and I must say, I wasn't disappointed. :) MAJOR SPOILERS IN REVIEW!!!
The film is amazing. The film's nowhere near as good as the books, but I had a giddy time watching this goth-Victorian flashback. If you've read the books, you know that the film starts out with Mr. Poe brings news to the three Baudelaire(is that spelled right?) children that their parents have died in a fire and they are now homeless orphans. They are taken to live with Count Olaf, who is played well by Jim "Carreyed Away" Carrey. I loved him in this role, he did suberb as the loony Count/Actor. Now, there are a few changes in the movie than from the books. First, The ending to TBB has been changed. Instead of the marraige, Olaf tries to off the orphans by locking them in a car on a train track. They, of course, save themselves, and they are taken away because Mr. Poe thinks Olaf was letting Sunny drive as opposed to trying to kill them. Another change is that the secrets of V.F.D., which don't show up in the books until book 6 I think, are in the movie. This obviously was down because Lemony Snicket/Daniel Handler wanted to make just one movie, which I think sucks. :( The third change is that it is revealed that Count Olaf is the one who started the fire, as we learn in the end. And don't fret, the marraige is not gone, but is saved for the ending. Also, instead of Violet signing the papers with her left hand, Klaus burns it with the same magnifying contraption Olaf used to burn down their house. All in all, I love this movie, and while it screws the books up, I think it work quite well in the film.

Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events ****(four) our of *****(five) stars
Cheers,
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Nice reviews, you two! I won't catch it in theaters, and Jim Carrey is more of a turn-off for me since...well, it's been a while since I found his shtick likable. But based on your recommendations, I'll give it a chance on DVD!
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

I was very dissapointed by it. The characters are all very flat, the pacing was uneven, and the climax was extremely un-climactic. I didn't fancy the very self-aware tone of the movie, nor the ambiguous setting (it looks like England, but the kids are American, and say their parents went to Europe.) Plus, the whole "spyglass mystery" was left totally open. Overall, it never really came together, and it felt kind of rushed. Needed more characterization, most of all.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Here is my review that I put on Imdb...

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, when I first viewed the T.V. spot, I was overjoyed that there was to be a movie based off the first three wonderful books. And it was a plus that Jim Carrey was playing the villain Count Olaf, and although most thought Carrey would ruin the role, I kept my head up. And When I entered the theater to see this movie, I couldn't help but be excited.

The books to which this movie is based on are written by Daniel Handler A.K.A. Lemony Snicket. And every book has a fantastic feel of darkness but that yet, has a fun and darkly comic lining. and by the looks of the trailer, it seemed to keep that feel. But enough about that, and on to the review.

The movie starts off in an unexpected way, but I do not wish to tell you more, because it would definitely ruin the surprise for you, all I'll say is that you'll probably think you are watching the wrong movie. Then, when the movie actually starts, you are introduced to Lemony Snicket (the voice of Jude Law) who warns you that this movie is not a happy one, and he warns you to turn around and view another if you wish to view a happy movie. We are then introduced to the Baudelaire orphans, Violet (Emily Browning), Klaus (Liam Aiken), and baby Sunny (sisters Shelby and Kara Hoffman). They are on a gloomy -looking beach when Mr. Poe (Timothy Spall), a close friend to the Baudelaire parents, who tells the youngsters that their parents have perished in a terrible fire that has destroyed their entire mansion.

They are then sent by Mr. Poe to live with their third cousin four times removed, or maybe it's their fourth cousin three times removed. This man is Count Olaf (Carrey) who they soon realize is after their massive fortune. Olaf's house is barely a home for them, for he is cruel to them and his house is an absolute wreck. When Olaf is officially pronounced their new father, he puts his car on a set of railroad tracks, with them in it! He as well has taken out the locks so they cannot escape. After they save themselves from being smashed by the train, Mr. Poe finds them in the car, and takes them away from Olaf for a reason that is not the reason he should, he took them away because Sunny is sitting in the drivers seat. But it's still good because they are at least away from his at last right? WRONG!

The children then go to live with their Uncle Monty (Billy Connolly) who is a very nice herpetologist, but before they know it, Olaf is disguised as an Italian assistant there to help Monty with his work. This disguise fools Monty, but not the kids. And before you know it, Monty has been murdered by Stephano, who is later revealed to be Olaf. Olaf then escapes.

The Children then go to live with their Aunt Josephine (Meryl Streep) who, although she means well, is afraid of every thing she sees, making her less than a perfect parent. But, then again Olaf shows up disguised as a sailor, and again, everyone is fooled but the kids. And at this time a hurricane is coming their way! After a long rumble of leeches, hidden clues, and caves, Olaf, dressed as his normal self, pretends, right in front of Mr. Poe, pretends to save Klaus from the hungry leeches. So, because of this, Olaf is put back as the orphans parent.

He then forces the children to be in his play in which he plans to really marry Violet in order to get her fortune.

Filled with stunning visuals, eye candy sets, and stunning performance by Carrey and all the other actors in here, this movie really takes you out of your cozy room and puts you in their world so you feel as if you are there with the kids trying to escape from Olaf and his plans. A brilliant triumph!

10/10

... Need I post more, I just saw it yesterday, and I can't wait until I see it again!
I am the Doctor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by I am the Doctor »

Having never read the book series-I did find the movie quite enjoyable. All in all, it made me want to go out and read the actual books, so I can find out what happens after the events covered in the movie version. Jim Carrey did a credible job as the villanous Count Olaf, but Emily Browning (Violet) and Liam Aiken (Klaus) are the real standouts. The children had to be likable or the movie just doesn't work. Overall, I give the movie a B, it's definitely well worth a look, and they certainly left the door wide open for a sequel (which I for one would certainly be looking forward to).
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Just in! Lemony Snicket has come in #1 at the box office, grossing 30.2 million dollars. And for those worrying about this, I wouldn't. Winter is always a season filled with box office surprises, so I would count Lemony Snicket in to do well in weeks to come.
DDMAN26
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DDMAN26 »

Luke wrote:Nice reviews, you two! I won't catch it in theaters, and Jim Carrey is more of a turn-off for me since...well, it's been a while since I found his shtick likable. But based on your recommendations, I'll give it a chance on DVD!

Luke if you want to see Jim Carrey relatively calm watch either The Truman Show or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Most Anticpated: Watchmen Terminator Salvation Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

i have not gotin the chance yet :( but on friday i saw the last 5 mins. of a making of on spike tv. from that and the tv spots it looks great. :)
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

I saw this movie on Christmas eve, and I thought it was pretty good :)
Image Image
StitchExp626
Limited Issue

Post by StitchExp626 »

Jack

Not all of the children are American Violet (Emily Browning) is a fellow Australian.

Kevin
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

StitchExp626 wrote:Jack

Not all of the children are American Violet (Emily Browning) is a fellow Australian.

Kevin
I meant in the context of the movie, not in real life.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I've posted a review over at Movie-Gurus.com which explains my thoughts on the movie. I got a bit of "you suck" of some people, as you'll see from the review comment box.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Jack wrote:The characters are all very flat, the pacing was uneven, and the climax was extremely un-climactic... Plus, the whole "spyglass mystery" was left totally open. Overall, it never really came together, and it felt kind of rushed.
Keep in mind that this was just the first of a series of films. While I haven't read the books (I'm starting to), I'm guessing that some things are meant to be left a mystery for now.
Jack wrote: I didn't fancy the very self-aware tone of the movie
Yeah this bothered me too at times, but there were a few aspects of it that I thought worked in the film's interest.
DDMan26 wrote:Luke if you want to see Jim Carrey relatively calm watch either The Truman Show or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Or the Majestic, which I really enjoy. Bruce Almighty also allows him to sometimes cross over into dramatics. (Man on the Moon too, I guess, but I haven't seen it.)

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

The Truman Show - :up: :up:
The Majestic - :zzz: