Ferdinand (Blue Sky Studios)

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Ferdinand (Blue Sky Studios)

Post by Sotiris »

I had been meaning to watch Ferdinand for a while now but didn't get around to it until now. I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. I was dreading watching it 'cause the trailers and ads for it made it look pretty inane and stupid, but there were some genuinely funny moments in it and a good amount of heart (particularly at the end). The plot was quite conventional and formulaic but its positive central message managed to shine though. I still think it didn't deserve to be nominated for an Oscar when there were so many worthier candidates but I understand why the Academy chose it over other American CG films of that year. Did anyone else watch it? What did you think?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Ferdinand (Blue Sky Studios)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I remember being very surprised by both this and The Boss Baby. While I wouldn't say either of them go down as favorites, they were much better than I expected. The horses in this were the funniest thing.... rotfl I had to re-watch the dance-off scene 5 or 10 times. Kate McKinnon had her moments, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I think that Ferdinand is a very sweet film. It has its funny moments and heartfelt moments...I agree: not my favorite film, but I do enjoy it.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Ferdinand was my favourite of last year's Best Animated Feature nominees. I found it very sweet and I thought it did a great job of expanding the story and themes of the book. John Cena was an unexpected choice to voice Ferdinand, but he was great and I really liked Lupe and the three hedgehogs a lot, too. I also appreciated how it managed to tackle the theme of toxic masculinity and how it's okay to not conform to what's expected of your gender (or species, in Ferdinand's case). I think that's a good message for children to hear.

I also liked how the film actually commented on what bulls go through in those Spanish bull fights, which I think is such a horrific idea and I like how the film criticised that sort of sport. Although it's not surprising as Carlos Saldanha's films are often about animals fighting to survive against a threat of some kind, with both "Rio" movies also taking bird poaching and deforestation to task.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland